E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > COBB V3.00, cause transmission malfunction

08-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Why bother releasing them to E90post if so many people are going to have potential issues? Maybe COBB should think about starting an email list for the next go around that way not so many people are affected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Lol ppl do you realize these are "BETA" right? Run an official release if you don't want/anticipate any issues or talk to Cobb...why some of you guys think board members can help with a beta Cobb tune is beyond me really

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #24
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
Why bother releasing them to E90post if so many people are going to have potential issues? Maybe COBB should think about starting an email list for the next go around that way not so many people are affected?
They do have a large warning that it is BETA (including having to check the box to get the beta firmware), which also implies not finished, and those people who want to download it without the full understanding of that fact, sometimes find the issues with using a product in the beta stages. As has been said before, if you don't want to take the risks, use the finished stages that are released, and wait for those who want to use to beta to work out these problems. My 2C
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #25
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
um beta softwares arent mandatory, its voluntary, if a user chooses to run beta software then the user should know the risk of running into problems/discovering problems(im sure theres a disclaimer attached to the beta software), its also the beta users that help fine tune the final product because of their feedback
      08-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #26
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Trust me, I understand that. I knew the risks and that's fine.. I experienced the issues that a lot of other people have been experiencing and I'll simply go back to 2.03 maps/firmware. All I'm trying to say is, something with such a huge potential for issues probably shouldn't be so readily available. You mentioned that I had to check a box, big deal.. anyone can still download it. BETAs that have the potential for causing any kind of serious harm should probably be relegated to a listserv for a handful of people who actually understand the ins and outs. That's all I'm saying. All I can say is I'm glad this car is a lease..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjohnston View Post
They do have a large warning that it is BETA (including having to check the box to get the beta firmware), which also implies not finished, and those people who want to download it without the full understanding of that fact, sometimes find the issues with using a product in the beta stages. As has been said before, if you don't want to take the risks, use the finished stages that are released, and wait for those who want to use to beta to work out these problems. My 2C

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #27
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Sigh. You're saying that Cobb needs to take responsibility of what you do to your car out of your hands? To much to handle for ya?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #28
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not just me, the masses. It opens them up needlessly in my opinion. Literally all I did was flash something that, while listed as BETA, was definitely put out there for public consumption and therefore should for all intensive purposes be pretty damn safe (if not almost complete). Wouldn't you agree? I mean, you don't think it makes good business sense to put out software (BETA or otherwise) for public consumption that could potential damage a car do you? No need to answer.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #29
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Nothing about any tune is "good" for our engines. Buying any tune should start with the understanding that its going to have a long term negative impact on our engines.

And no, if someone wants to try a beta map, they will push and push for it. If there was a power increase beta, i am confident that everyone willing to click that beta button will be hounding cobb to get on the list.

Like me and all the nude shots of my gf i have been sending to the cobb team on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #30
ansel1988
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
taking your AT to the track is asking for trouble. the torque converter overheats faster than your engine. no oil cooler or inter-cooler will help your transmission.

if you are serious about tracking your car, switch to MT.
LOL so u mean AT CANNOT run on track?
      08-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #31
Dark9T
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Red 335i E92 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
Nothing about any tune is "good" for our engines. Buying any tune should start with the understanding that its going to have a long term negative impact on our engines.
race your stock car or WOT sometime can be bad for our engines too, Buying any car should start with the understanding that its going to have a long term negative impact on our engines when you race or even WOT sometime..
so you saying we all need to take a bus?
      08-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #32
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
I am saying drive the car how you want. Just accept the responsibly that track days and constant wots will likely shorten thelife of some parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #33
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Trust me, I understand that. I knew the risks and that's fine.. I experienced the issues that a lot of other people have been experiencing and I'll simply go back to 2.03 maps/firmware. All I'm trying to say is, something with such a huge potential for issues probably shouldn't be so readily available. You mentioned that I had to check a box, big deal.. anyone can still download it. BETAs that have the potential for causing any kind of serious harm should probably be relegated to a listserv for a handful of people who actually understand the ins and outs. That's all I'm saying. All I can say is I'm glad this car is a lease..

I hear what you're saying. Personally, I feel that using the Beta version of this would open me up to some potential issues. I did install 3.0 and drove it around for a bit with no issues; however, I'm going to the track for a few days so I reverted back to an older version yesterday. I'm not bold enough to try using a Beta version when I need reliability.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #34
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

no, AT is not designed to run on track for a decent amount of time.

if you want to do a few fun laps, yes. anything longer and you risk overheating your torque converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansel1988 View Post
LOL so u mean AT CANNOT run on track?
      08-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #35
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1991 View Post
First of all, I just want to point out the issues I encountered. It may be just single case.

I updated the v300 stage1 93 map a while ago. Then I went on track. Whenever I pushed the car hard at the corner, or on the straight, this map will cause transmission failure. I mean it's not once, it's multiple times! It almost killed my transmission..

I tried to uninstall cobb then went back on track, no issue at all..

That means the v3.00 map cause this issue right? I don't have this problem when I was running v201 or v203 map. But I have encountered "engine malfunction" with the v203 map on the track(however, it didn't actually reduce power, just the sign)

BTW, can anyone tell me where I can find the old V203 map and flash it back?

much appreciated.
Hello Andy,

I apologize for causing any trouble.

You are welcome to download and use v2.03 maps from this location. No need to change firmware.

Can you better describe what is happening and/or read the codes off your car? If the car went into limp mode, don't worry it's not going to hurt your motor or transmission.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #36
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

beta maps working perfectly over here....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #37
D335NUTZ
The Blue Beast
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi in Montego Blue

Get your car scanned. I had the same problem with my JB4. On map 2 I get engine malfunction and go into limp mode when I push it hard. On map 0 it was fine. I got the car scanned and I was throwing VANOs codes with the aggressive tune on.

Cobb AP Stage 2+ | BMS DCI | UR Catless DP | UR Chargepipe | Tial BV 50mm | BSH OCC | ETS FMIC | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | KWv1 Coilovers | Volk TE37 TC Kline Ed.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #38
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Quote:
taking your AT to the track is asking for trouble. the torque converter overheats faster than your engine. no oil cooler or inter-cooler will help your transmission.

if you are serious about tracking your car, switch to MT.

Quote:

if you want to do a few fun laps, yes. anything longer and you risk overheating your torque converter.

Good Lord I love this forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #39
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

Quote:

You do realise that the converter is locked at anything over 10mph right ?

Harry
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #40
Andy1991
Perfect
Rep
Drives: Gonna be the fastest N54 xi AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
Hello Andy,

I apologize for causing any trouble.

You are welcome to download and use v2.03 maps from this location. No need to change firmware.

Can you better describe what is happening and/or read the codes off your car? If the car went into limp mode, don't worry it's not going to hurt your motor or transmission.

Cheers,
Rob
Thanks for the heads-up. I did flash back to v203. Running very well

P2D59 - DME, internal error: monitoring actual torque

Same code as the other thread. After transmission malfunction, it triggers engine malfunction.

Cobb, I am not blaming on anything with the BETA maps just point out the bug it has.

Overall, I am a happy user.
Appreciate 0