E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The not so fun parts of the N54

05-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #111
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
So you have changed plugs coils and done the walnut blast?

What about a check of your vac lines, what codes have you pulled?
Well I changed plugs but not coils. Coils I swapped around cyl 5 and 4 to 1 and 2 but the misfires stayed in 5 and 4. Yesterday at the shop the codes were misfire cyl 4. I threw a ton of codes on the way home but haven't had a chance to check them yet since the USB on my JB4 broke randomly... I ordered a new one so hopefully it gets here sometime in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92nate View Post
I don't know if this has been brought up already, but which firmware are you running? Have you updated to the latest JB4 firmware as of late? And also you might want to check to see if your AFR and Fuel open loop mapping numbers are set to default after an update. I had a similar problem awhile back and I updated my firmware and double checked all the default numbers and never had the problem ever again. Hope all is well.
Well I switched to the ISO board with ISO 19 the second day of misfires. First day I was on the G4 15 ohm board I was running for the last year then I switched. I haven't gotten to do ISO 20 yet since my USB cable is broken but i'm updating to that and I guess i'll restore to default firmware once I do that.

Another thing I forgot to mention from yesterday is at firs the tech came in and told me he thought it was my O2 sensors maybe got fried from that backfire I had the first day. He said he got the system check and trimm control codes and then when he was monitoring all the o2's one wasn't moving and monitoring like the others. But then when he brought me out it was back to normal and moving with the other rear o2 and monitoring properly. When we went out and got the car to misfire it didn't throw the o2 codes so he changed his mind and said its probably not o2's.
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #112
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 JetBlack

Go get new injectors. You cannot replace ONE. Each Bank is required. They are covered at the dealer as they were RECALLED. NOTHING to do with warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #113
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can't even replace one anymore if you have the older injectors as they are discontinued. The new version Injectors require all to be the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #114
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
Go get new injectors. You cannot replace ONE. Each Bank is required. They are covered at the dealer as they were RECALLED. NOTHING to do with warranty
Wait so you're saying they have a recall for the new injectors? Not willing to pay the dealership to have all 6 replaced but if it's free i'll get in ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Can't even replace one anymore if you have the older injectors as they are discontinued. The new version Injectors require all to be the same.
I know that's what sucks even more. Cyl 3 and 5 are new 261 part numbers and I bought an extra one just in case. Now Autocouture wants to do the other 4 and they've never heard the thing about having to replace all 6. They said they're calling BMW to confirm this week then they'll let me know what they hear but worst case if what I said is right they should be able to find 3 261 injectors
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #115
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Hmm that's not a bad idea but I think it would still misfire only because the first day of misfires was G4 board then then I swapped to ISO and nothing changed. I don't know anyone here with a cobb unfortunately but I guess I should start looking around. Pretty much willing to try almost anything at this point

Hahahah will do
thing is with COBB fuel control is spot on. at least you will remove AFRs as a possible cause.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #116
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
thing is with COBB fuel control is spot on. at least you will remove AFRs as a possible cause.
Ik I definitely want to try cobb just don't know anyone local who has one they'd be willing to let me borrow for a few days. I'm seeing if E90company wants to trade with me for a few days and we can ship each other but I don't think he does. I plan on doing cobb with BMS flash eventually but can't buy one at the moment.

If anyone wants to trade and ship each other tunes so they can try iso for a few days and let me try the cobb i'm down
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #117
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My USB cable on the Jb4 is broken and i'm waiting for a new one but pulled some codes with some little OBD II reader today. P0304, P0305, P0420, P0430. From what i've gathered that's misfire cyl 4 and 5. The other two codes have something to do with O2's but I couldnt find a definite answer on what they mean. Are those normal catless codes or something are those the weird system check and trimm control codes I keep getting every now and then? I cleared the codes and then today on the way back from work i'll get it to misfire again then see what comes up
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #118
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

On the way to work I got cylinder 4 and 2 misfire. On map 2 the car hesitates a bit but wont throw codes. Map 5 with e85 boosting 15+ is where i get the ses and then codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #119
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
On the way to work I got cylinder 4 and 2 misfire. On map 2 the car hesitates a bit but wont throw codes. Map 5 with e85 boosting 15+ is where i get the ses and ten codes.
ses means you are running lean right? it just smells like a lean misfire
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #120
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85
Quote:
On the way to work I got cylinder 4 and 2 misfire. On map 2 the car hesitates a bit but wont throw codes. Map 5 with e85 boosting 15+ is where i get the ses and ten codes.
ses means you are running lean right? it just smells like a lean misfire
I thought the SES light just meant there was a code stored? Maybe it is my o2's? The guys at autocouture thought maybe my backfire blew one of my rear o2's since the other 3 were reading normal but one was stuck at .1 . They changed their mind though after checking again in 5 minutes because it was back to normal and monitoring and the trimm control and system check codes didnt show up after we took it out to get it to misfire.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #121
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Way home from work made it misfire again and got P0304 cylinder 4 misfire. Seems like now cylinder 4 is the main culprit. Anyone think I should just do all 6 coil packs so I can rule those out completely like spark plugs? I swapped cyl 4 with cyl 3 and cyl 6 with cyl 2 coils packs about two weeks ago but it seemed like the misfire didn't follow the coil pack. As of now i'm pretty much willing to try anything though
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #122
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Way home from work made it misfire again and got P0304 cylinder 4 misfire. Seems like now cylinder 4 is the main culprit. Anyone think I should just do all 6 coil packs so I can rule those out completely like spark plugs? I swapped cyl 4 with cyl 3 and cyl 6 with cyl 2 coils packs about two weeks ago but it seemed like the misfire didn't follow the coil pack. As of now i'm pretty much willing to try anything though
What are the conditions that cause the misfires? Higher RPM's? Cruising? When my coilpack failed, the car just misfired all the time and followed the cylinder when moved.

When I had sporadic misfires like yours, it was not the o2, but rather the injectors. But in my situation it was confined to ONE bank, where as yours jump between banks.

I think the only thing left to try is to replace all 6 injectors if you have not already. When I had a similar issue, I replaced all 3 injectors in the mis-firing bank and my misfires have yet to return.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #123
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
What are the conditions that cause the misfires? Higher RPM's? Cruising? When my coilpack failed, the car just misfired all the time and followed the cylinder when moved.

When I had sporadic misfires like yours, it was not the o2, but rather the injectors. But in my situation it was confined to ONE bank, where as yours jump between banks.

I think the only thing left to try is to replace all 6 injectors if you have not already. When I had a similar issue, I replaced all 3 injectors in the mis-firing bank and my misfires have yet to return.
It happens under high boost (map 5 E85 15PSI+) and under a lot of load. For example in map 5 I can do a pull from 0mph to 70mph just ripping through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and it will almost always be smooth as can be with no hiccups. Once I put it under load like 4th gear at 35-40mph for example, it will build boost then once boost is built start shaking until it throws a code and shuts down one cylinder.

Autocouture was as puzzled as I am and said they think I should make sure I have all new injectors. Since I did cyl 5 a few weeks ago and cyl 3 last summer they said I should just do the other 4 cylinders. My only thing that makes me think it might not be that is that one of my misfires on Saturday was a cylinder 5 misfire. They said maybe the first cylinder in the bank is misfiring then slowing down the others which results in cylinder 5? Since today was essentially all cylinder 4 misfires with one cylinder 2, it makes me think it could possibly be injectors. Some other suggestions i've had from people is cleaning or replacing Vanos, doing all 6 coil packs, or replacing both rear o2's
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #124
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It happens under high boost (map 5 E85 15PSI+) and under a lot of load. For example in map 5 I can do a pull from 0mph to 70mph just ripping through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and it will almost always be smooth as can be with no hiccups. Once I put it under load like 4th gear at 35-40mph for example, it will build boost then once boost is built start shaking until it throws a code and shuts down one cylinder.

Autocouture was as puzzled as I am and said they think I should make sure I have all new injectors. Since I did cyl 5 a few weeks ago and cyl 3 last summer they said I should just do the other 4 cylinders. My only thing that makes me think it might not be that is that one of my misfires on Saturday was a cylinder 5 misfire. They said maybe the first cylinder in the bank is misfiring then slowing down the others which results in cylinder 5? Since today was essentially all cylinder 4 misfires with one cylinder 2, it makes me think it could possibly be injectors. Some other suggestions i've had from people is cleaning or replacing Vanos, doing all 6 coil packs, or replacing both rear o2's
If it's only High Boost, there is a good chance that it is Coilpacks or Plugs. I got a good deal 6 new coilpacks on Ebay. They sell Bosch ones at great deals.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #125
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it's only High Boost, there is a good chance that it is Coilpacks or Plugs. I got a good deal 6 new coilpacks on Ebay. They sell Bosch ones at great deals.
Got the link anywhere? I did all 6 plugs recently so maybe i'll give coil packs a try even though I swapped them around and they didn't follow. But also keep in mind by only in high boost I meant high boost is only when it throws the code. If I do a 4th gear pull under load in map 2 it stumbles maybe once or twice but otherwise relatively smooth. Almost always no codes from that though
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #126
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Got the link anywhere? I did all 6 plugs recently so maybe i'll give coil packs a try even though I swapped them around and they didn't follow. But also keep in mind by only in high boost I meant high boost is only when it throws the code. If I do a 4th gear pull under load in map 2 it stumbles maybe once or twice but otherwise relatively smooth. Almost always no codes from that though
Also switch to straight Unleaded fuel if you have not tried that yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #127
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also switch to straight Unleaded fuel if you have not tried that yet.
Well I have a 93/E85 mix in their now but I usually fill up with Mobil 93
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #128
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well I have a 93/E85 mix in their now but I usually fill up with Mobil 93
I would try straight 93 to remove that variable.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #129
ZTZ1010
Aficionado of All Things Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
I would try straight 93 to remove that variable.
+1. could be e85 related, no? like a lean spike that damaged a piston? maybe get a compression test

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #130
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

subbed to see what the fix finally ends up being
      05-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #131
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010 View Post
+1. could be e85 related, no? like a lean spike that damaged a piston? maybe get a compression test
I told him it's either bad front O2's or damaged ringland/cracked pistons. Told him to get a compression test too. He hasn't listened and was dead set on it being carbon buildup when I told him it wasn't. I was right
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #132
vereak82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6-spd e92 335i

My serpentine belt just let go on the highway and tore up my front crank seal also after wrapping around the crank pulley... Oil everywhere son of ahhhh!
Appreciate 0