E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Low Beam Warning Light After Angel Eye Replacement

02-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
gbreems
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Low Beam Warning Light After Angel Eye Replacement

Hey Guys,

I have a 2008 335i coupe. Recently one of my angel eye bulbs went out (also got an appropriate warning light on the dash). I was going to the dealer a few days later to get an oil change, so I had them throw a bulb in while i was there.

When I started the car to leave the dealer. I received a new warning symbol. I didn't immediately know what it meant, so I asked the technician who worked on the car. He looked at the light and took it around to his service bay (I assume to make sure everything was hooked up correctly). He came back about ten minutes later and said he didn't know what the problem was. He assured me that it wasn't anything that he did since he only changed a bulb. He also said he thought it was related to the adaptive head light system that turns with the steering wheel. He said that the warning light could have been hidden when the other warning light was on and after replacing it the new warning could surface. He also said that when the bulb burnt out it could have done something else to the car. He said he would have to do an electrical diagnostic to know what is going on and that would cost $140.

I decided not to get the diagnostic done right away (didn't have time, also wanted to do some research). I looked up the warning light in the manual and it indicates that there is a problem with the low beams. I checked the low beams and they are both still turning on. I also checked the functioning of the adaptive headlights. both sides still seem to be turning correctly. Also, the inner lights (forget what they are called, but they turn on when turning hard one direction or the other) still light up. I also opened up the light that he worked on and don't see any obvious problems.

I've done quite a bit of research on this issue, but haven't been able to find anything useful. Does anyone know what i should do to try diagnosing this? Or can anyone answer these questions?

-What all can set off the low beam warning light?
-Can the warning light from the angel eye (I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was different than what I'm getting now and was more general) cause this warning light to be 'hidden'?
-Would a problem with the adaptive head lights cause a low beam warning light?
-Is there anything in the headlight assembly that could have been damaged to cause an error to be thrown with out making the light stop working?
-Is there a tool I can buy to get the codes the technician will receive when doing his diagnosis?
-Can the burning out of an angel eye cause other problems in the lighting system?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0