E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anybody live in Savannah, GA?

02-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
zimbofk
Undisputed World Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Anybody live in Savannah, GA?

I'm moving there next week and wanna find out what it's like (night life, weather etc.). I would appreciate any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Move to LA, you'll be a lot better off. Look at this weather, took this on saturday.
Attached Images

02-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
shimshimnada
FTW!
Rep
Drives: '05 JB 330i ZHP

It's near myrtle beach. It's humid.
      02-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
zimbofk
Undisputed World Leader
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I wish I was moving to L.A. But Savannah is as good as it gets for now . It's gonna be hot as hell come summer, it's all swampy and humid. At least the coast is only 30 mins away.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Move to LA, you'll be a lot better off. Look at this weather, took this on saturday.
A lot of folks don't move to CA because it is just plain too expensive. When I was in Houston for a wedding, a freaking 4br/3ba HOUSE costs about $500/mo (with utilities paid for).

Here in CA you can get what, a double room with a roomate for $500?

Unless you live in the boonies, which there are plenty of in CA - but you'll be so far off from the ocean and will be attacked by wild coyotes nightly that it would be no wonder why living in the boonies is so cheap.
      02-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That's why $60k a year is the median income and also why I can't afford to buy a house with 6 figure income.
      02-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I have a brother-in-law who lives in...now get ready for this...CUMMING... ...It is a suburb of Atlanta...Actually it is pretty nice...He is a member at a great Country Club called Dunwoody...played there last year...very nice indeed
      02-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbofk
I'm moving there next week and wanna find out what it's like (night life, weather etc.). I would appreciate any feedback.
I grew up about 100 miles from Savannah. It is hot in the summer time, but not too bad. There is decent night life (bars, clubs, etc.) near River St. That is a cobblestone street (historical) on the banks of the Savannah River. There is a downtown type area near River St. where there are tons of other bars and clubs. Savannah can be a lot of fun, kind of like a college town. There are a couple of colleges there, as a matter of fact. Plus it is close to the beach. Tybee Island is the closest public beach.

There is a huge St. Patrick's Day celebration down there. The crowds on River St that weekend are comparable to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Obviously there isn't that many people in all, but the people on River St that weekend are just as packed. It is crazy. There are women stripping off their clothes, cheap green beer, bands, etc.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
Mang
Rep
Drives: winter beater

I was wondering the same thing. I have another business trip this April and we're going to Savannah, GA. I hope there is fun stuff to do after hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #10
zimbofk
Undisputed World Leader
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
I grew up about 100 miles from Savannah. It is hot in the summer time, but not too bad. There is decent night life (bars, clubs, etc.) near River St. That is a cobblestone street (historical) on the banks of the Savannah River. There is a downtown type area near River St. where there are tons of other bars and clubs. Savannah can be a lot of fun, kind of like a college town. There are a couple of colleges there, as a matter of fact. Plus it is close to the beach. Tybee Island is the closest public beach.

There is a huge St. Patrick's Day celebration down there. The crowds on River St that weekend are comparable to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Obviously there isn't that many people in all, but the people on River St that weekend are just as packed. It is crazy. There are women stripping off their clothes, cheap green beer, bands, etc.
Thanks for the info . I'll definitely look forward to St. Patty's Day (I'll make sure my girlfriend isn't in town). I'm about to sign a lease for some apartments in Wilmington Island that aren't too far from downtown. I think it will be a fun 6 months but I'm not looking forward to the humidity.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I've only driven by and stopped in teh rest area and there were crawly nasty bugs like 3"-5" big!

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
I've only driven by and stopped in teh rest area and there were crawly nasty bugs like 3"-5" big!
If they look like miniature lobster, we call them crawfish. They are good eating creature. As they say with crawfish, suck the head and eat the tail, yummy...

Does it look anything like what is in this photo?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
That's why $60k a year is the median income and also why I can't afford to buy a house with 6 figure income.
you're kidding! i can't be that expensive! what are you trying to buy a villa?

btw, can you please get me a job in irvine? it can even be for less than 6-figure salary , i just need to get out of this shit-hole they call a city...
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, at least your city won the superbowl.

Housing really is that expensive here in CA. A freaking 1 br *condo* will run ya 300-400k. That's a condo, for crying out loud.
      02-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbofk

Dunno, what the nightlife is like there as we only visit for dinner when we are vacationing at Hilton Head Island, SC. BTW, HHI is a 45 minute drive.

OH! I have heard that St. Patrick's Day is unreal in Savannah. (as noted above)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #16
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Hey, at least your city won the superbowl.
ha ha, yeah, and now another 20-year wait till we win another one

wow, no wonder salaries in CA are a lot higher than there are anywhere else...
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #17
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
If they look like miniature lobster, we call them crawfish. They are good eating creature. As they say with crawfish, suck the head and eat the tail, yummy...

Does it look anything like what is in this photo?
No they were bugs, not lobsters lol

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #18
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
No they were bugs, not lobsters lol
Never mind then, I would not want to live in a place that has big ass bugs (3" to 5"). txusa + Bugs =
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #19
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

I lived in Savannah for 3 years when in college (Savannah College of Art & Design).

Summary:
River Street is probably the most popular place to find decent good and drink along with a good view of the river. Nice cobblestones and small stores give it a small town feel. Some inclue Huey's, Kevin Barry's, Moon River Brewing, etc. There are good pizza places like Vinnie Van Go Go's off of Bay Street which runs parallel to River St. In the downtown area there are also a few small places while walking around near the State Street area. Off of Broughton St. there is a square that has some nice shops and on the weekends gets pretty lively. They usualy have live bands in the square and there are a number of bars and cigar shops that can be fun. There is also a nice little martini bar on the corner of Broughton and MLK.

If you are looking for good coffee shops look around the Forsyth Park area which has the Sentient Bean which is popular off of Park ave, take a stroll around Forsyth while you are there, great park. There are also many others in the area, lots of little shops and coffee houses amongst the old homes. SCAD, the local college also has a nice place to eat and grab some tea at the Gryphon Tea room, which is affiliated with the college but is open to all. It is on bull St. which can be accessed by the two one way streets Whittaker and Drayton.

Broughton St. is the main downtown area off of MLK BLVD and has your typical stores like Subway and the typical consumer shops. There is a good gyro place here if you are looking for something quick and a nice mexican restaurant at the end near where it turns into E Broad. E Broad past liberty is very poverty stricken as is MLK BLVD past Gaston St. Anything past Victory Dr. is also very poverty stricken and should probably be avoided.

The bugs where probably palmetto bugs. I lived out on the islands and they were everywhere. Nasty huge roach like bugs that where everywhere, on the streets, in your homes, disgusting. People get used to them but being from the Northeast I never got used to them.

The weather is pretty horrid in the summers, gets very hot and stagnant and the downtown papermill smell can be horrible. You learn to live with it though and the winters are nice. Also while it does rain, it doesn't rain like it does in the NE for like a whole day, typically short bursts.

The beach out in the islands is very nice, the water is not clear like in Puerto Rico or even parts of Florida and rather murky from the high concentrations of silt but at least the water is nice n warm. There is also good fishing on the docks. There is a nice lighthouse that you can visit too and get some good pics. Usually it is pretty lively out there most of the year.

The biggest common shopping areas (think Walmart, Best Buy etc) are probably past victory drive. If you take Abercorn St. all the way out it leads too all the malls, shopping, more common restaurants and stores that are seen across the country as opposed to the smaller shops found in the downtown area.

Other things to do are check out the big parks. Savannah College hosts the annual sidewalk festival at Forsyth Park where college artists paint on the sidewalks in chalk, very cool. They host bands regularly there and is fun. Good place to meet people and a good walk with the old houses and cobblestones surrounding the area. There are a number of smaller ones too, one in the downtown area hosts an annual Ferrari festival *Droool* and is the host of probably the nicest hotel in town.

Tried to cover much of it, any questions just let me know. It's been a few years since I've lived there but I'll try to remember anything else if asked. Oh and as others have noted you must go to St. Patty's Day. They shut down the downtown area and a couple to a few hundred thousand people come in like a mini Mardi Gras. Oktoberfest is much smaller but a similar type of event.

Have a good stay,
Neil
Appreciate 0