E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Please help: Engine Blower Fan Not Working!

08-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
All Taken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2007

Please help: Engine Blower Fan Not Working!

Hi,

I decided to run a fault code scan on my 318i e90 2007 today ahead of coding a retrofit. I was surprised to have some pre-existing faults returned.

Alarmingly the faults returned indicate the Radiator fan is not functioning and a sensor is also faulty/oil temperature too high.

I ran the diagnostic a couple of hours after my last short journey so I'm inclined to believe a sensor is faulty but could somebody have a look at my fault codes?

I've inspected my main fuses and all appear to be fine but my fan is indeed non-functional, even after a good 90mph stint with high revs, more surprising I have not had a single warning of temperature on the dash.

Feeling a little bit silly for not noticing the fan not kicking in but I didn't think I had any issues tbh... Please could somebody check my codes and help me diagnose the fault - fan? sensor? both? I have also tried air-con and it's cool but not cold, this also fails to initiate the fan. Thermostat?

Fault codes as returned by BMWLogger:

Error Codes Present On 25 August 2013 15:33:56

Code,Type,Description

DME,DME Number: 07565300
2F17,1,Unknown
2EFE,2,Electric fan, activation
2DDB,4,Unknown

Thank you very much!

Last edited by All Taken; 08-26-2013 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

2F17 - Engine temperature oil too high
2EFE - Electric fan
2DDB - not sure on this one

Does your car have a coolant remp gauge? if not monitor it through the hidden menue to see what temps its getting to as the fan shuld cut in at a set temperature
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
All Taken
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Does your car have a coolant remp gauge? if not monitor it through the hidden menue to see what temps its getting to as the fan shuld cut in at a set temperature
Thank you very much for the reply. I don't have a temp gauge, cleared the codes and the unknown code 2DDB is now gone entirely after multiple start ups it hasn't appeared. Other 2 remain which as you said correspond to the fan and oil temp.

I am trying to initiate the blower via INPA but so far have only found the setting for air conditioning, and after trying it only initiated blowers inside my car - would this setting also initiate the radiator blower? If not anyone know the menu to test just the radiator fan? I just want to determine if the fan works.

It's looking as though the fan motor has failed, anyone else thinking the same? I just don't want to spend an awful amount on a new fan to find it's something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Taken View Post

I am trying to initiate the blower via INPA but so far have only found the setting for air conditioning, and after trying it only initiated blowers inside my car - would this setting also initiate the radiator blower? If not anyone know the menu to test just the radiator fan? I just want to determine if the fan works.

You can test the fan using INPA. On my version of INPA the sequence is as follows:

Select Car Model
Select Engine
Activate (F6)
Activate 1
E-Blower Activate (F1)
E-Blower Switch Off (F2)

Hope this helps. Sounds like temperature sensor not triggering the fan? As Mistryn says, check the coolant temperature using the hidden menu. It should remain at a reasonably steady 92 degrees in this weather once the engine is warm.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler

Last edited by tmarshall57; 08-26-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
All Taken
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
You can test the fan using INPA. On my version of INPA the sequence is as follows:

Select Car Model
Select Engine
Activate (F6)
Activate 1
E-Blower Activate (F1)
E-Blower Switch Off (F2)

Hope this helps. Sounds like temperature sensor not triggering the fan? As Mistryn says, check the coolant temperature using the hidden menu. It should remain at a reasonably steady 92 degrees in this weather once the engine is warm.
I tried the hidden menu and report 92C on coolant (same via INPA). Does this mean my temp sensor is working correctly and it's my fan? I tried unplugging my fan and ran fault codes again, this time I only get fan blower error and not oil temp too high error...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
92 degrees is normal so it seems like your thermostats are OK.

You should check the operation of the fan using INPA. The fault could be the fan or the temperature sensor which tells the fan to switch on. Have you checked fuses?

Do you have access to DIS V57? This software will read all codes and automatically route you through a test schedule to identify the faults and diagnose the cause.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
All Taken
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
92 degrees is normal so it seems like your thermostats are OK.

You should check the operation of the fan using INPA. The fault could be the fan or the temperature sensor which tells the fan to switch on. Have you checked fuses?

Do you have access to DIS V57? This software will read all codes and automatically route you through a test schedule to identify the faults and diagnose the cause.
I'm downloading DIS v57 now and hopefully it will get me a bit further. I found my Blower test in INPA and it's non-operable. I had a quick check of fuses, any idea which specific fuses are responsible? I messaged another user regarding fan issues that he had and he said on petrol motors such as the 318i the fan does not kick in until 118c ish. Would I still be getting a blower error though?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
All Taken
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone know how I can power the fan to test it? I have now removed it from the car and want to test the motor just to confirm. Would a 12v feed do it? It has a signal cable as far as I'm aware so would the 12v trigger the fan?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Fuses: which fuse? This varies according car/year but should be clear from the fuse legend which is normally fixed to the fuse box cover in the glove box.

If there are 3 wires to the fan then one will be 12v live, the other ground and the other signal indicating fan speed. Ground I think is normally brown. Sorry can't be more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
A quick search on code 2EFE does appear to indicate a faulty fan or alternatively a possible faulty fan relay.

Have a look here

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...rienced-3.html

The relay part number mentioned in the post is fitted to a wide range of models including e90 although a later post indicates that the relay referred to is actually for turning off the fan. =
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
All Taken
Private First Class
Rep

Resolved - turned out to be a 5amp fuse that had blown. I tried replacing the fan too
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
f3rd
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M-SPORT 2006 E90 320i

Quote:
Resolved - turned out to be a 5amp fuse that had blown. I tried replacing the fan too
Hi could you guide me where can I find this 5amp fuse, and what kind of icon sign am I looking at on the manual. I have exactly the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #13
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 325i manual

for what it's worth, your fan could still be on the way out. A blown fuse is almost always a sympton not a cause, I suspect the fan is dying (although not dead) and the older it gets, the more current it draws which in turn will blow the fuse. I would suggest keep an eye on codes / fuse and if you need to replace the fuse again, also put your new fan in.

hth
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:55 AM   #14
riso1988
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 440i xDrive GC, '06 330xi

Quote:
Hey - do you recall which 5A fuse it was? I have a similar issue and have already checked the 60A fuse in the glove box for the fan. I'm wondering if this is another fuse I should be checking
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

FYI I have a 2007 318i and my fan went a few months ago - water had got into the motor controller which sits behind the fan - the water had tracked its way between a wire and the potting and eventually shorted.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #16
udderfailure
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2x 2008 335xi

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring on this one. I don't know anything about the 5amp fuse. Does anyone else know where it is?

I know about the 40amp in the glovebox but I don't know about any others.

I have used INPA to test the fan with no joy, would the fan still work in the test if the relay was bad? Is there a way to test the relay?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
Bubba16
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i

Extra fuse 5A solves problem

I used this thread to troubleshoot a cooling fan that was not working. I have a late 2008 335i convertible (E93). Apparently, my fuse box is different - I have a Type 2 (post 2008) - do a search and you will find lots of variations. My fuse box has two fuses for the radiator fan, #92 and #28. #92 is the big 50/60amp fuse, while #28 is a small 5amp fuse. It was this little 5amp fuse that was blown on my car. Now everything is back - code 2efe is gone and my A/C is working again. Just wanted to update this tread for the next person.
Appreciate 0