E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > keep the car all black or go black with a bit of red?

09-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
tkillips
Casual Modder
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335i

keep the car all black or go black with a bit of red?

Hey guys,

So I've been getting a bit bored with the look of my car, it seems like it needs something to spice up its appearance. As of right now, as far as cosmetic mods, I put in black grilles, painted reflectors, vinyl'd the chrome window trim, put on rims, tinted the windows, and threw in some GP Thunders. Everything I mentioned above (other than the headlights, of course ) is black and I'm thinking of adding my next wave of mods to the car, which would include:

- Vorsteiner CSL Trunk
- FMIC (haven't decided on the brand yet, thinking AA)
- Hamann Roof spoiler
- Few other performance mods that really won't affect the appearance

With all of that in mind, my question is this: should I change a few of the mods to red to get the two toned look? what I was thinking is have the top curved portion (the belt-sized part) of the Vorsteiner trunk painted red, re-vynl'ing the window trim red, getting red grills, and potentially getting the roof spoiler red. What inspired all of this is the red time-attack stripe around my 19" M6 reps, just that little bit even brings out so much more in the car then having it all black does. What do you guys think? I really feel like it could go either way.

Here's a rolling shot of my car, its the only pic I have of it not on an iPhone camera :http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8742/img6334b.jpg

Again, any input is appreciated, I'm fairly up in the air as to if this would look good or completely idiotic.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

I'd think that be too much red. The blacked out look is pretty sexy imo. Maybe if you want some red, since your tails are red anyways, just add in some red BBK's and MAYBE a red time attack strip if that's your thing. Red window trim and red trunk lip would look weird imo

edit: btw get yourself an aero lip or mtech front
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

leave it black...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
The red ring onn the wheels is just enough, imho. I went with the red RPI scoops behind the kidneys which is just subtle enough to catch a glimpse of.

Anything else in red would be overkill ....... maybe work on the interior with the red?!?!?!?

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
tkillips
Casual Modder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokdo View Post
I'd think that be too much red. The blacked out look is pretty sexy imo. Maybe if you want some red, since your tails are red anyways, just add in some red BBK's and MAYBE a red time attack strip if that's your thing. Red window trim and red trunk lip would look weird imo

edit: btw get yourself an aero lip or mtech front
Yeah you can't really see in that picture but there is a red time attack strip on the rims. I would absolutely LOVE brembo brakes, especially the calipers, but I don't think that's really in the budget right now and I don't think it'd be terribly smart to put faux covers on my current calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
leave it black...
I wish I had a better picture of it, but I just feel like something is missing when I look at it, it looks fairly plain in a still shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
The red ring onn the wheels is just enough, imho. I went with the red RPI scoops behind the kidneys which is just subtle enough to catch a glimpse of.

Anything else in red would be overkill ....... maybe work on the interior with the red?!?!?!?
How would you suggest I work on the interior with the red? Getting the same color inside/out is something I'm really beginning to regret
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
You could wrap your trim in red, change the boots out for red leather or alcantara. Lots of shops can dye your door panels red (like the storage cubbies on the doors?). This way it wouldn't be so over done, ya know? Just the lower sections of the doors and the boots would be enough. Leave the trim s is or cf wrap it.

Maybe you or someone else could PS the pieces red ..... thinking it would look good if you chose the right parts to dye.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

as Mick Jagger would say....paint it black lol.....anyways yeah keep it black but my opinion isn't partial
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
tkillips
Casual Modder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
You could wrap your trim in red, change the boots out for red leather or alcantara. Lots of shops can dye your door panels red (like the storage cubbies on the doors?). This way it wouldn't be so over done, ya know? Just the lower sections of the doors and the boots would be enough. Leave the trim s is or cf wrap it.

Maybe you or someone else could PS the pieces red ..... thinking it would look good if you chose the right parts to dye.
Yeah I agree about the trim, I was thinking at least I would re-vynl it red. I'm really liking where you're going with those interior suggestions, how expensive do you think it'd be to get the boot as well as the door cubbies done red? I also have brushed aluminum trim inside the car that feels a bit too plain, but there's a bit much of it to vinyl (or something similar) it all red, as it would overwhelm the interior imo. Might be cool to do something there, though.

As far as the photoshopping goes, unfortunately my skills are rather lacking in that department, I'd absolutely love to learn but as of right now all I can do of use is make very basic forum sigs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoB View Post
as Mick Jagger would say....paint it black lol.....anyways yeah keep it black but my opinion isn't partial
Judging by your sig it looks like you're rockin' the all black look as well
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
GME92
BMW Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M Sport DHP

Leave it all black, maybe add red scoops so it shows through the grilles.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
To give an idea .......

The boots can be had for about $65 each in either leather or alcantara. Leather offered in perforated texture as well.
http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...egory_Code=E90

**********s sells the boots as well (purchased my black alcantara, tri-stitched boots from them.
http://www.**********s.com/product.a...hift_Ebrake_MW

Dying the trim isn't going to be very expensive if you bring the pieces to the upholsterer. I haven't worked around the upholstery end of things for a while so have no idea of pricing anymore.

Here's an idea of what the trim would look like in red ...

I wouldn't go with the trim in red but, the bottom section of the doors maybe ......

Maybe small red accent like this e46?

Then again, I'm biased as I like the black on black on black look .....

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

go with the black look, sexy color
Appreciate 0