E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > pls help: loud banging/knocking noise from fron passenger wheel well area

01-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #23
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

BMW says 88lbs.
I have always used 90 on all my card. Never any problems.
When it comes to lining the threads that's up to you. I do and always will. Some don't. It's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep

It's nice to use an impacts tench for lug bolt removal but in my opinion that's is all. I install the lug bolts by hand and tighten them down with a 1/2" drive ratchet and then drop the car to the ground and then go around and torque all the bolt with a torque wrench
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
It's nice to use an impacts tench for lug bolt removal but in my opinion that's is all. I install the lug bolts by hand and tighten them down with a 1/2" drive ratchet and then drop the car to the ground and then go around and torque all the bolt with a torque wrench
For those that don't have a digital screen, how do they know how much torque they are using. Or those that use a manual wrench, how do they know they are tightened properly ?
      01-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
For those that don't have a digital screen, how do they know how much torque they are using. Or those that use a manual wrench, how do they know they are tightened properly ?
All torque wrenches allow you to set the desired ft/lb typically by rotating the handle and matching it to a specific numeric value. The range is engraved on the wrench. You use the torque wrench to tighten the bolts until you hear a clear audible "clicking" sound which means you're at that value.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #27
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
All torque wrenches allow you to set the desired ft/lb typically by rotating the handle and matching it to a specific numeric value. The range is engraved on the wrench. You use the torque wrench to tighten the bolts until you hear a clear audible "clicking" sound which means you're at that value.
exactly what he said is how they work. Idk something about impact wrenches scar eme when it comes to a specific torque value. I like them for some things but not for torquing bolts. something about manual torque wrenches like mentioned above ^ just seems so fail safe.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #28
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
thanks you, guys for the info.
Brought the car to a shop today, the technician told me that the wheel bolts were loose.
Forgot to mention, i change the wheels myself. However i have never experienced this issue before. i think the bolt gun is failing me. if i am not mistaken, bmw specs 88 lb of torque?
Feel so lucky nothing went wrong, it could have caused me some serious trouble.
Thanks so much for posting this. I was out for a country cruise today and by time I got home my car started to thud. After reading this I checked the lugs and they were loooose. Like I could remove them by hand. I retorqued them and the problem is solved.

This is really weird because I change my own tires, twice a year and I've been doing it for a decade. Never had this happen. I'm wondering if I forgot to torque that wheel at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #29
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Now that the issue is fixed I'm curious to know what potential damage there could be. I did an inspection and visually it all looks fine. So what was causing the knocking noise specifically I wonder?

In my case 4 of the bolts were very loose, and one of them was properly torqued to ~90 lbs. If the one was properly torqued, and the others were loose, what exactly was moving to make this banging sound?

The nuts kind of have a rounded/ball surface facing the wheel. Does this allow pivoting? If not I'd have to assume something is wrecked or else how was anything moving to make the noise?
Appreciate 0