E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Thumbs up for PDX area shop - Accurate MotorWerks

03-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Thumbs up Thumbs up for PDX area shop - Accurate MotorWerks

If you're looking for a quality job on your car and at a very good price - call Michael @ Accurate MotorWerks in Vancouver. Link is here: http://www.accuratemotorwerks.com/default.html. Read below my review, but to sum it up: I drove from Beaverton to the other side of Vancouver and it was totally worth it !

I had a big suspension job and needed an experienced mechanic. After much investigation I settled for Accurate MotorWerks in Vancouver. It's a newly opened shop in Vancouver WA but some might be familiar with the owner: Michael Gallagher. I personally didn't know him before, but had another forum member recommend him.

Why this shop ? Well the most important thing for me was to find a mechanic with experience in BMW, but without the extra price jacking associated with the brand. Michael is a graduate of the BMW training program & worked at both local dealers, which was a good start. So I went and visited his facility to get a first hand look. The shop looks good, is quite large and what really impressed me is that is is clean and orderly. As in every shop the work in progress stuff like gearbox rebuilds is lying around, but the tools are neatly kept in drawers, and they are all top quality (later learned he used to sell tools). The floor is kept clean and uncluttered.

I'm a mechanical engineer but not very handy, and I read quite a bit about the job so I started talking to Michael about it. I have to be honest: I got a little uneasy because he is quite soft in his answers. But let me assure you: Michael knows BMW inside-out. Some of my upgrades had to be torqued with the car fully loaded and at to a certain value - while I had my sketches to know which ones, Michael knew it right away because he understands how it all works together - which in my view is a critical quality in a mechanic.

Now to the other component: price. The price Michael gave me was very competitive compared to other shops in the PDX area. Michael gave me a max price and it was among the best quotes I had gotten, and better then most quotes. (I never even considered the dealer for this job.) We actually came a little bit under the max he gave me - see how many shops will do that for you...

So I am happy to report that it all went thru great and everything was put together as it was before, and believe me when I say that - I'm pretty anal about wires not routed thru the proper clips or plastic snap fasteners being forgotten or broken: not 1 little plastic piece was left behind ! Even some fasteners that because they did not have a head had to be punched thru were put back in. I really am impressed !

A big thumbs up for the quality of the work Michael does ! Highly recommended.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Awesome! How does the car feel?
Suspension work is something I need on my car. I've getting power mods but haven't yet touched the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Oh, man, the car is finally handling as if it's one piece not as previously when in turns I felt I might be losing the car because of probably the rear subframe being so flimsily attached to the chassis. It was a very unsettling feeling, felt like part of the car was having a different dynamic then the rest of the car. The under-dampened suspension didn't help either. Keep in mind this was the OEM sport susp (ZSP) not stock .
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
Oh, man, the car is finally handling as if it's one piece not as previously when in turns I felt I might be losing the car because of probably the rear subframe being so flimsily attached to the chassis. It was a very unsettling feeling, felt like part of the car was having a different dynamic then the rest of the car. The under-dampened suspension didn't help either. Keep in mind this was the OEM sport susp (ZSP) not stock .
I know what you mean when you say under damped suspension I have the same feeling on my 335i. The added power doesn't help either.

I'll definitely talk to you about this during our next meet
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
mpower3o2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
If you're looking for a quality job on your car and at a very good price - call Michael @ Accurate MotorWerks in Vancouver. Link is here: http://www.accuratemotorwerks.com/default.html. Read below my review, but to sum it up: I drove from Beaverton to the other side of Vancouver and it was totally worth it !

I had a big suspension job and needed an experienced mechanic. After much investigation I settled for Accurate MotorWerks in Vancouver. It's a newly opened shop in Vancouver WA but some might be familiar with the owner: Michael Gallagher. I personally didn't know him before, but had another forum member recommend him.

Why this shop ? Well the most important thing for me was to find a mechanic with experience in BMW, but without the extra price jacking associated with the brand. Michael is a graduate of the BMW training program & worked at both local dealers, which was a good start. So I went and visited his facility to get a first hand look. The shop looks good, is quite large and what really impressed me is that is is clean and orderly. As in every shop the work in progress stuff like gearbox rebuilds is lying around, but the tools are neatly kept in drawers, and they are all top quality (later learned he used to sell tools). The floor is kept clean and uncluttered.

I'm a mechanical engineer but not very handy, and I read quite a bit about the job so I started talking to Michael about it. I have to be honest: I got a little uneasy because he is quite soft in his answers. But let me assure you: Michael knows BMW inside-out. Some of my upgrades had to be torqued with the car fully loaded and at to a certain value - while I had my sketches to know which ones, Michael knew it right away because he understands how it all works together - which in my view is a critical quality in a mechanic.

Now to the other component: price. The price Michael gave me was very competitive compared to other shops in the PDX area. Michael gave me a max price and it was among the best quotes I had gotten, and better then most quotes. (I never even considered the dealer for this job.) We actually came a little bit under the max he gave me - see how many shops will do that for you...

So I am happy to report that it all went thru great and everything was put together as it was before, and believe me when I say that - I'm pretty anal about wires not routed thru the proper clips or plastic snap fasteners being forgotten or broken: not 1 little plastic piece was left behind ! Even some fasteners that because they did not have a head had to be punched thru were put back in. I really am impressed !

A big thumbs up for the quality of the work Michael does ! Highly recommended.
Glad Everything went well!

Thumbs up to Michael!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I want to have the fluids and transmission filter done on my car. Our shop is way too busy right now. I'm going to give them a call. Thanks for the good word. They operate with the same practices and principles that we do. Give a quote and stick to it, even if it costs us more.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
mpower3o2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
I want to have the fluids and transmission filter done on my car. Our shop is way too busy right now. I'm going to give them a call. Thanks for the good word. They operate with the same practices and principles that we do. Give a quote and stick to it, even if it costs us more.

Michael
He's a great mechanic. He's worked on my 335 before as well. Waiting to hear back from him about some stuff I need installed this week hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post

Michael
Give him a try. I think you'll be satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
mpower3o2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Booked till the 26th!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3o2 View Post
Booked till the 26th!
Makes sense. I scheduled mine 2 weeks in advance, but I had to order the bushing tool from HPA.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Accurate_MW
Registered
Rep
Drives: E39 540i

Hello, This is Michael. i just joined the post. Thank you for all the positive feedback and comments.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate_MW View Post
Hello, This is Michael. i just joined the post. Thank you for all the positive feedback and comments.

Michael
Welcome ! You might want to post the new user forums and such, to enable your PM's.

He's The Man, hit him if you need any service on your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Michael is a great tech; I worked with him years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
gberger1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Just had Michael service my car, great price, quick knowledgeable service. I will definitely be going back. Now he just has to learn about Vishnu! Thanks again Michael.

BTW,,,car got a very needed bath today as well, if anyone is ever looking for a great detail guy...http://gallagherautospa.com/
Attached Images