E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Super Wide/Wide Angle Lens + Polarizer?

02-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Super Wide/Wide Angle Lens + Polarizer?

So, it's probably no secret by now that I favor super wide/wide angle lenses when I shoot. Reading reviews for some lenses lately, I've seen a few mentions of how polarizers (circular or linear) are a waste of money for these type of lenses.....that one is better off getting a ND filter instead. However, I never saw any rationale for this.

Does anyone know why this might be? Also, if any reasoning is negating since I'm shooting with a crop?
      02-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I did a quick search and found that some people don't like it because the sky/scene is unevenly polarized when you're using a wide angle lens. Here's the link- http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...larizers.shtml

That link goes on to say that if you like the effect you should just use one. Be careful though because some polarizers are not made for the wide angle and thus are too thick. So when you put them on it will vignette quite a bit. There's another thing too but it's too complicated to explain so I'm not going to bother.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Ah, gotcha. I thought there might've been more to it. I actually have a circular polarizer for my 10-22 and have used it on occassion without issue. Its a thinner profile meant for super wide/wide angle lenses, though. Thanks for the link.