E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Curious question about usb cable to obd2.

01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Curious question about usb cable to obd2.

I have a tactrix openport 2.0 cable from my evo x. Would this work on the e92 335i for reading/flashing? Has anyone had any luck? Have been searching and only found a thread of just mentioning of this.

Also a really stupid question but figured i ask it. Cable was in back of my evo when it got flooded from sandy. Would it still work or would the cable be no longer usable?

I know I should just connect it and see if it would work but with my luck I rather not mess anything up.

Thanks for any input at all
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
braveplayer3160
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328I Coupe

Are you seriously asking this question? I dont know if the cable will work with coding on your bimmer but why would you even think of trying to use a cable that sustained flood damage is beyond me. Just spend the money on the recommended cable and do it right the first time. Let someone else be the guinea pig. Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There has to be a standard for OBD 2 ports.

They can't require a smog station to carry 100's of different
types for every car made.
As to the flooding what does it look cable look like and do you have something cheaper to test it on .
My guess is it could be cleaned in a solvent and dried out if it didn't
accumulate to much sludge.
But is it worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveplayer3160 View Post
Are you seriously asking this question? I dont know if the cable will work with coding on your bimmer but why would you even think of trying to use a cable that sustained flood damage is beyond me. Just spend the money on the recommended cable and do it right the first time. Let someone else be the guinea pig. Just my $.02
Yes I was seriously asking the question. From the looks of it the only part to have receive any type of water was the connecting port to the obd2. The actual board and usb side was not wet.

Sorry I spent $150 on this cable for my evo, just curious if it was attempted from another person coming from an evo to a 335i and using the cable. Just tried to see if it was worth a try If it wasn't affected by water as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
As to the flooding what does it look cable look like and do you have something cheaper to test it on .
I can see if it connects to the computer since it is also a standalone micro sd reader/writer. As far as clicking on the obd2 side I wouldn't be able to tell unless I try it on a dummy car but my beater got washed up as well. Not worth the risk though now thinking this through.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Well, yes and no. There's a standard as to the pinout, and there's a standard as to the CAN bus that's used for the signal layer of communication, but above that LOTS is left up to the manufacturer, and even on the port something like 6 or 8 pins are manufacturer option.

It's for this very reason that scan tools are so expensive - lots of codes are more or less standard, but lots of them are not at all, and toolmakers pay the manufacturer for the info pertaining to code meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.335 View Post
Yes I was seriously asking the question. From the looks of it the only part to have receive any type of water was the connecting port to the obd2. The actual board and usb side was not wet.

Sorry I spent $150 on this cable for my evo, just curious if it was attempted from another person coming from an evo to a 335i and using the cable. Just tried to see if it was worth a try If it wasn't affected by water as well.

I can see if it connects to the computer since it is also a standalone micro sd reader/writer. As far as clicking on the obd2 side I wouldn't be able to tell unless I try it on a dummy car but my beater got washed up as well. Not worth the risk though now thinking this through.
As far as the cable being damaged by water, your best bet is this. Take it apart, dunk all the parts in distilled (distilled, not filtered or spring) water (buy it at the store), and shake them around. Basically, dissolve any dirt or mud that could have been deposited by flood water.

Then take them out of the water and do the same thing with high purity isopropyl alcohol. 91% minimum, but probably better if you can find the 99.99% stuff that some electronics stores sell. Then take everything out and let that stuff dry off.

Because nothing was powered on when the water came in (since the cable was unplugged), it almost certainly wasn't damaged, but deposits could still damage it when you do plug it in. That procedure should clean them off.

if the cable doesn't have any visible gunk on it and you don't think the board got wet, you can probably skip the water step.

As far as whether the cable will work with Inpa, the chances are slim. But if you open it up and take a picture of the board both sides, I can give you odds as to whether it is likely to or certain not to.
Appreciate 0