E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question re lowering and RFTs.....

01-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Ha66is
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 911 C2

Question re lowering and RFTs.....

So, I’d like to lower the car moderately; let’s say, for the sake of a more considered figure, 1".

I understand there are 2 basic options, springs or coilovers.

I also understand that the springs option is short term gain, long term pain as the lowered/ uprated springs will cause the shock to work harder thus shortening its life.

Coilovers seem like a hassle to me (i'm in Aus and import is a challenge) plus the extra expense of fitting etc etc.

What I was wondering is; the suspension set-up (stock) must be tuned to operate harmoniously right? Therefore, if the car is on 19" non RFTs, then the shockers are working less due to the 'plusher' ride of the non RFTs, right?? Ergo the addition of lowering springs may not shorten shocker life as they are 'getting a break' in the side wall aspect of the equation.

Questions -

1 - Notwithstanding the above, by how much would the shockers degradation be accelerated anyway (forget non-RFTs in this scenario)??? I mean is it a 3yr v's 5 yr scenario for example?

2 Does the logic in my preamble stack-up???

Any thoughts or contributions appreciated.

Cheers

Thommo
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
GoRedSox
Goldmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe M-Sport DCT

Not sure about shocker life and how someone can measure or estimate that. Depends obviously on roads and driving style as well. Should be shorter with stiffer springs.
In terms of using springs alone, I did not enjoy it at all because of the kind of roads I have to drive on. It looked great and was very good on excellent roads, but like walking on eggshells most of the time when driving on our roads here in the Northeast. I had H&R sport springs initially with the 17's RFT, and it was horrible and very unforgiving. Not just harsh, but also seemed a mismatch with the original shocks - kinda almost wallowing when driving 70 mph on the highway over moderate ups and downs. After switching to non RFT 18's, it was better, but not great.
Everyone seems to agree to go with coilovers if you can get and afford those.

Last edited by GoRedSox; 01-17-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
rgpwr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08.M6

The eibachs with the original shocks are a decent match. Not quite as low so you don't have to "baby" it. I love the ride. However a good shock/spring combo would be ideal.
Appreciate 0