E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilovers or springs?

01-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #23
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

coilovers because the height is infinitely adjustable, and if you get some that are any good, you can adjust the suspension's preload separate from the ride height. The last part being supremely important in having a balanced car!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #24
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 | 09 Accord V6 EXL

people say springs only kill the shocks, but does it matter if its the regular shocks vs. the ZSP ones?
      01-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #25
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The ZSP shocks would last a tad longer because they are valved for a stiffer spring but the difference will not be huge. It's best to go with aftermarket shocks to compensate for the stiffer spring.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #26
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Whiteboy View Post
Coilovers is def the way to go. I just can't recommend which ones because I don't have them yet myself, and I've read somewhere on this site that certain ones make noises when riding slow or turning(?). I had springs on a previous car and it lowers nicely but the ride WILL be bouncy and floaty. Also if your lowering your car, the chances of scraping your front lip/bumper increase. Coilovers add stiffer suspension so when u hit a bump, your front end will raise along with your wheels, helping to avoid scraping your front lip/bumper. Springs on the other hand will help absorb the bump, but being you have stock shocks which are soft, your car will kinda "nose dive" when u hit a bump and cause scraping. I don't know if you get what I'm trying to say but Coilovers FTW...
I definatly understand what your saying and really do appreciate it, cuz right now i have stock 18's stock shocks and a front aero lip, and i already scratch! so i think you made up my mind with the coilovers!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #27
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT14PimPin07 View Post
I definatly understand what your saying and really do appreciate it, cuz right now i have stock 18's stock shocks and a front aero lip, and i already scratch! so i think you made up my mind with the coilovers!
Glad I can help. And I'm glad u got what u was trying to explain lol. Winters SUCK here in N.Y... Can't wait for spring so I can get modding my own!
Appreciate 0