E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GruppeM Intake vs. Dinan Ram Air Intake vs. BMW Perf Intake

04-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i sport

GruppeM Intake vs. Dinan Ram Air Intake vs. BMW Perf Intake

I already did a , and all got mixed opinions. The GruppeM was said by many to be the best and only effective one, while one said that it ended up dropping HP. The dinan had one user swear by it, and many complaining that it was incredibly cheap and ineffective. The BMW Perf Intake actually hasnt been too talked about, except that its expensive. How do the 3 compare, and which one would you get assuming they were the same price? Thanks so much for your input guys
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i thought a lot of people got bmw performance?

i mean you dont' go wrong with it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

I have the BMW Performance intake and I'm not sure if I feel a difference at all....
The Dinan one seems to have the most effective design with an actual additional air inlet... The BMW Performance has an additional inlet as well, but that one doesn't appear to be nearly as effective.
I am not sure how many people actually got the real deal for Gruppe M or whether if replica / real deal makes any difference at all. Can't say much there personally.

I really went with the BMW Performance because I don't want any hassles with warranty / cops / whatnot nonense.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Rest assured you will feel and hear a difference with the Dinan Intake. It doesn't look like much, but it works. Pair it with the BMW Perf, or RE Ikon exhaust and you have yourself a great combo! The way it takes in additional air is similar to that of the new M3 intake design. See my post. There is one for sale in the classifieds section for $350...great deal.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183780
      04-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
noire07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

BMW Performance Intake feels a lot better when you cut out the stupid carbon filter in the housing.
2007 328xi E90..Jet Black..Black Dakota Leather..Premium.Sport.CW..19" Staggered Gunmetal VMR v710..Blk Grills..Blacklines..LED Interior lights..OEM Spoiler..RR CDV..OEM Strut Bar..UUC SwayBarbarian Swaybars..H&R Coilovers..330i SSK..3 Stage Intake Manifold..BMW Performance Intake + Exhaust + Steering Wheel..PBX..V1 Hardwire..GPS Hardwire..Rear Power Outlets[Robot Happy Face]..Rear Fogs..OEM Alarm..Alpine PDX-5..Earthquake SWS 8" Subs..MB Quart RVF210[Fr+Rr]..iPod Adapter..35% Tint..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by noire07 View Post
BMW Performance Intake feels a lot better when you cut out the stupid carbon filter in the housing.
Werd...Outside the US the carbon filter isn't even there. I talked to my tech, at the dealer...said if it was his car it would be out. I never doubted the BMW Perf Intake, I may even switch to one someday if I get the exhaust.
      04-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Andy@LTBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AV_330i View Post
I already did a , and all got mixed opinions. The GruppeM was said by many to be the best and only effective one, while one said that it ended up dropping HP. The dinan had one user swear by it, and many complaining that it was incredibly cheap and ineffective. The BMW Perf Intake actually hasnt been too talked about, except that its expensive. How do the 3 compare, and which one would you get assuming they were the same price? Thanks so much for your input guys
The difference is the design of the intakes. The BMW performance intake has a wider channel for air to flow into compared to a stock intake box. The filter is a flat panel. The gruppe M is a open intake and doesn't have a enclosure. The filter is a cone. I would say that in terms of cabin noise, the gruppe M produces a lot more noise, while the box is quieter simple because of the flat fliter versus a cone filter. I have a gruppe M and it usually kicks in after 2500 rpm compared to a stock intake which is pretty even.

I feel there is a huge difference when I run a gruppe M veruss the stock box.

I think the Dinan intake maybe able to get you a little bit colder air, but because of the intake box design, I can't see how much of a difference it would make.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

QFT from Andy@LTBMW

I mean.. I may convert to Gruppe M in the future and I have BMW Performance...
to be honest, the exhaust and intake are pretty much in the region of cosmetic mods to me (just... audible instead)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I have the gruppe m but considering the bmw perf one to avoid issue with my dealer.. let me know if someone want to trade me
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well Im at 43,500, so Im going to be out of warranty soon anyway, i think it ends in november in terms of time. So, if all were $100 (just to aviod price bias), and all were guaranteed to not void the warranty, which would you buy. I just want the one that will give me the best possible performance, which im thinking is the gruppeM. Its also important to me, however, that i dont loose any low end power. Will one be better than the others for this?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@LTBMW View Post
The difference is the design of the intakes. The BMW performance intake has a wider channel for air to flow into compared to a stock intake box. The filter is a flat panel. The gruppe M is a open intake and doesn't have a enclosure. The filter is a cone. I would say that in terms of cabin noise, the gruppe M produces a lot more noise, while the box is quieter simple because of the flat fliter versus a cone filter. I have a gruppe M and it usually kicks in after 2500 rpm compared to a stock intake which is pretty even.

I think the Dinan intake maybe able to get you a little bit colder air, but because of the intake box design, I can't see how much of a difference it would make.
Thank you, didnt know about the actual construction of each one that helps a lot. Is one type more susceptible to torque loss at a low RPM than the other?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Here is a link to Gruppe M Dyno chart on a stock 330i ... Couldn't find any dynos for the other two intakes. Hope this helps:

Click on the gray button next to the picture ... Then click on the dyno chart to make it bigger.
http://www.gruppem.co.jp/matching/pr...rch_result.php
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

+1

don't forget about the prices... about 1k for the perf intake and gruppe m and then like 350 from the dinan? and the dinan requires you to make a hole in your stock box or something, while the perf and gruppem are pretty much direct replacements.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Andy@LTBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, didnt know about the actual construction of each one that helps a lot. Is one type more susceptible to torque loss at a low RPM than the other?
how the air filter is constructed will determine the kind of power you will receive ... the low end torque loss to me from a gruppe M because of its open intake and cone design ... there is no getting around it ... while a closed intake box will "theoretically" give you more low end torque, once you hit high rpms, you will hit a plateau in power ... it simply can not take in any more air because of its construction ... i personally feelt hat the low end torque lost from my gruppe is compensated when i ride a lower gear a little bit longer for it to hit the high rpm ... i think when the gruppe m kicks at 2500 rpm is good enough for me ...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how the air filter is constructed will determine the kind of power you will receive ... the low end torque loss to me from a gruppe M because of its open intake and cone design ... there is no getting around it ... while a closed intake box will "theoretically" give you more low end torque, once you hit high rpms, you will hit a plateau in power ... it simply can not take in any more air because of its construction ... i personally feelt hat the low end torque lost from my gruppe is compensated when i ride a lower gear a little bit longer for it to hit the high rpm ... i think when the gruppe m kicks at 2500 rpm is good enough for me ...
Damn. Well I just bought the Gruppe. Is it going to make the car feel slower driving around town? I have a steptronic, btw
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn. Well I just bought the Gruppe. Is it going to make the car feel slower driving around town? I have a steptronic, btw
not really, car actually feels more responsive and revs quite quickly.. sounds stock below 2500rpm and sounds aggressive after 3500rpm... vrrooom..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Quote:
Andy is right, I too feel a little loss in power at low RPMs but who buys a intake to use at low RPMs
... J/K I don't want you to get something that your going to regret. Let me know ... I don't force my sales on people
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
Andy@LTBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no because the gruppe m will definitely provide a more agressive tone ... also the power lost at the lower is negilible in my opinion ... i have s teptronic as well, and the intake does provide a much better response once you hit the 2500 ...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I just got the Dinan CAI and throttle body. The car feels like it pulls harder and quicker from 3000rpms on up to redline. Roll-ons are a bit stronger as well and very responsive. Definitely a great addition.
Dinan will NOT void your warranty either. There's a section on their website pointing this specifically out.
I went with Dinan due to their reputation and the fact that the design, while simple, is VERY similar to the M3 intake. It takes air in from the lower front facia and the stock intake location. I'm going to try to incorporate the c/f air bridge from the BMW Performance Intake, which seems to be larger than the stock along with the RPI Ram Air scoops. I think this combo would get the most air into the engine possible.
As for an open element with no box - this is not a good idea. You need to have the intake heat sheilded or when the engine gets hot you're going to be taking in hot air into the engine and the hp will go down.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
As for an open element with no box - this is not a good idea. You need to have the intake heat sheilded or when the engine gets hot you're going to be taking in hot air into the engine and the hp will go down.
the gruppe m is shielded from engine heat, the opening is in the bottom that will get air from the front lower left grill.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3r View Post
the gruppe m is shielded from engine heat, the opening is in the bottom that will get air from the front lower left grill.
Yes, I knew the Gruppe M was shielded. Injen is completely open - just for reference if anyone is thinking about that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
Andy@LTBMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I just got the Dinan CAI and throttle body. The car feels like it pulls harder and quicker from 3000rpms on up to redline. Roll-ons are a bit stronger as well and very responsive. Definitely a great addition.
Dinan will NOT void your warranty either. There's a section on their website pointing this specifically out.
I went with Dinan due to their reputation and the fact that the design, while simple, is VERY similar to the M3 intake. It takes air in from the lower front facia and the stock intake location. I'm going to try to incorporate the c/f air bridge from the BMW Performance Intake, which seems to be larger than the stock along with the RPI Ram Air scoops. I think this combo would get the most air into the engine possible.
Dinan will void your warranty depending on the dealership you go to. I believe SFBMW considers Dinan parts to be part of their warranty since they have a close working business relationship with them. I am not sure for the other dealers.

Since BMW has begun their BMW performance side of the business, their ties with Dinan has not been very close. It is Dinan who covers your warranty, that means its not BMW who fronts the bill if anything should go wrong, it is Dinan. Hence the high price for their products, I believe that goes into how much they charge for their parts.

Please read the fine print as the car needs to go to a authorized Dinan dealer. It does not say that it is covered by the original warranty.
Appreciate 0