E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > New to meth ?

06-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Goldenchild
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N55 e90 335xi

New to meth ?

Did a lot of researching and trying to find out info but I really am new to the whole meth setup. I have the jb4 n I know that I could get the kit from bms. But after installation, where do I get the meth or exactly what is the meth. Where do I purchase it. Is it something I can order ore mixed or how do I go about getting the meth to mix with water. Like I said. I'm new to the meth scene n wanna learn more. Thanks guys
      06-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenchild View Post
Did a lot of researching and trying to find out info but I really am new to the whole meth setup. I have the jb4 n I know that I could get the kit from bms. But after installation, where do I get the meth or exactly what is the meth. Where do I purchase it. Is it something I can order ore mixed or how do I go about getting the meth to mix with water. Like I said. I'm new to the meth scene n wanna learn more. Thanks guys
I can chime in here, as I run water-methanol on my personal car. You can get it premixed through Devilsown or Snow Performance. They ship in 1 gallon containers containing the mixture. Otherwise, most racetracks will carry straight methanol. Some karting shops might have it as well. If you decide to go down this route, make sure to wear gloves so that you do not come into direct contact with straight methanol (just a safety precaution).

Also, for a 50-50 mix you should be mixing my weight rather than volume. Since the two substances are different densities this will be needed to ensure an even mixture. Methanol is miscible in water, meaning that the two will form a homogenous solution. So once you pour them together, they will essentially form a single solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Goldenchild
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N55 e90 335xi

Great response! ^^^ I think I would feel safer buying it premixed. Do you mix it yourself or buy it also. Is it a crazy difference once u have it. And ww or rear truck install
      06-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

When I started out, I would buy it premixed for convenience. Since a distributor opened near me, I now mix it myself. I try to mix it all at once so that I do not have 100% methanol in my garage.

It is certainly a noticeable difference. On the N54, we typically measure gains of 20whp and 40whp torque with the addition of water-methanol and our software. Personally, I would always recommend a trunk install. Yes, the washer tank can be fine but I prefer not to take the risk at all. I have mine installed in the trunk with it vented to the atmosphere so that there are no fumes in the cabin.
Appreciate 0