E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Project 335 Stealth has started

12-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #45
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
sweet....
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #46
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #47
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Here are a few pictures of the stealth bra.

It is thin and light as planned. We incorporated our RAM into the BMW factory E92 bra.

I am still working on finding a sympathetic LEO (law enforcement officer) to perform some basic tests. If you happen to know a cool LEO, please PM me!

I am also slowly but surely working on procuring a radar gun and a proper place to do my own tests.

Last but not least, I will negotiate a 3rd party test but some reputable laboratory.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #48
Mace
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

Interesting but as others have pointed out the bra isn't going to be a great option. On the other hand, if you've taken the fascia off, you could easily attach RAM directly to the interior structure behind (with special interest to any corner reflectors) or the backside of the fascia itself. The metal structure and the engine are where the most significant radar returns will come from since they'll go straight through the plastic fascia. Of course, you'd need to test the return from metalic paint although I don't think this is a big deal since most metalic paints don't have any real metal in them anyway. Also, the headlamp clusters are primarily composit so they shouldn't be a big deal, maybe a layer of RAM on the back of them. Your biggest problem will probably be the radiator (and the engine behind obviously), perhaps you could treat this with RAM louvers or eggcrate?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #49
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
you could easily attach RAM directly to the interior structure behind.
Excellent suggestion. This is what we do for other, how shall I say, "better funded" programs. But yes, you're right: gluing the RAM inside the plastic front fender is the best solution.

However, the bra is the easiest way to verify the potential "real world" range reduction, which is the goal of this experiment.

If this experiment demonstrates a real gain (say 50% range reduction) then it will be time to develop specific applications for each vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #50
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

not bad for a prototype. Thx for bringing this thread back to life, keep the heat up.

If U won't find any friendly cop to help U test, try to ask GuysOfLidar or similar groups, I think they will like the idea.

Appreciate 0