Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Working around the TPMS

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
natedog_1959
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus

Working around the TPMS

Per some of the mustang forums I frequent, this is one method of getting around the TPMS system.

1. You will need the 4 TPMS sensors removed from your wheels. If you are having non-runflats installed or a new set of rims with non-runflats, this should be easy.
2. Go to the hardware store and find a piece of pvc pipe large enough to fit all 4 TPMS sensors. Purchase end caps and some PVC glue or screw on end caps and the proper PVC pipe with at least one screw-on end.
3. Purchase a valve stem from a tire shop or bike shop.
4. Glue one endcap onto one end of the pipe.
5. Drill a hole in the other endcap just large enough so that the valve stem fits snugly.
6. Glue the valve stem in place so it is airtight.
7. Put your TPMS sensors in the PVC pipe.
8. Glue or screw the other endcap onto the PVC pipe.
9. After the glue has set, pressurize the PVC pipe using an air compressor or tire pump to the recommended tire pressure per the owners manual.
10. Secure the PVC tube somewhere safe in the trunk.
11. Reset the onboard TPMS.
12. Monitor your tire pressures with a standard tire pressure gage from time to time.

Here are some sites for reference.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3153329
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2060535/tm.htm

Hope this helps, Nate.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Good alternative, but wouldn't it be better to have the TPMS especially when you don't have RFT?
      03-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Good alternative, but wouldn't it be better to have the TPMS especially when you don't have RFT?
+1. Why get rid of it. It doesn't hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
natedog_1959
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus

Multiple reasons:

1. It's annoying when it gets cold out or if you bump the pressure up/down for motorsports.

2. Many people run multiple sets of wheels/tires and don't want to purchase multiple sets of TPMS's.

3. When you switch to non-runflats, you know right away if one of your tires is considerably low on pressure. You don't need a TPMS to tell you that.

4. How many years have you been driving cars without TPMS and been just fine?

I had a few folks looking for a work around on another forum and figured I would share on this forum as well.

Nate
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Bimmerboy87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
+2
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Multiple reasons:

1. It's annoying when it gets cold out or if you bump the pressure up/down for motorsports.

Wow, it gets that cold?

2. Many people run multiple sets of wheels/tires and don't want to purchase multiple sets of TPMS's.

I suppose that's up to you, but I would invest some money for safety

3. When you switch to non-runflats, you know right away if one of your tires is considerably low on pressure. You don't need a TPMS to tell you that.

Yeah, but sometimes you can have a nail in your tire that will deflate and be noticeable on the second night after the puncture. And by then, the tire may be too flat to run your car with to get it patched or.. something. I guess it's up to you, honestly, i'd like to know ahead of time so I can fix (expecially small nail punctures) it before it's too late.

4. How many years have you been driving cars without TPMS and been just fine?

Hahaha, I haven't :P I wish I knew my pressure was deflating on my old 5-series I ran into the situation twice..

I had a few folks looking for a work around on another forum and figured I would share on this forum as well.

Well hey, if you prefer it that way, that's cool. I'm sure there are a big handful of people that want a way around the TPMS as well. Good luck

Nate
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
That's actually a really good idea.

I kind of regret selling my TPMS sensors now.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I think that is a very good work around...

Considering we all know why we have this system today.

It is because of the whole Ford and Firestone issue of stupid people driving 70 MPH down the road with low tire pressure on a vehicle with a high center of gravity wondering why when the tire blew out and the damn SUV flipped over and killed them. Lets not forget the fact a number of these 800 people who die to give us TPMS were not wearing a seatbelt and got ejected form the SUV as it rolled over them.

This maybe harsh, but I have seen these folks a number of times on the highway and I attempted a number of time to warn them and tell them they had a low tire, what do you think they did, most just ignored me and kept drive. I say let them die if they are that stupid, the problem is they tend to take other out in their own stupidity.

I know this had been beaten to death already, but this what happen with the government tells the industry have to solve a problem.

Next, they'll have a system to tell you that your lug nuts are not tight enough. They already tried the auto-seatbelt system and we know what happen to those.
Appreciate 0