E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UUC Short Shift Kit (SSK) & Double-Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

03-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #45
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
I don't think UUC change the stock rubber carrier bushing, so some people still experience slop even with UUC SSK and DSSR. RE SSK includes a modified stock carrier and Delrin carrier bushing which helps reduce the slop. IMO the stock rubber bushings should be replaced especially for cars with high mileage, Bimmerworld has the RE delrin bushings for $25.
How hard is it to install the RE delrin bushings? Can it be done on ramps?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #46
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
How hard is it to install the RE delrin bushings? Can it be done on ramps?
I would think it's harder than UUC ssk install since you have to remove the carrier. There's a video on RE's website showing how the stock rubber bushings cause the sloppy feel by allowing the carrier to move around.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #47
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
I would think it's harder than UUC ssk install since you have to remove the carrier. There's a video on RE's website showing how the stock rubber bushings cause the sloppy feel by allowing the carrier to move around.
I find that hard to believe having taken the thing apart. They did not seem sloppy at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #48
Moc247
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M-Sport (LBM)

DSSR Problems

So I just had my UUC SSK installed about a week ago (did not do it myself) and the mechanic had some issues getting the stock selector rod pin back through the lower pivot bore. He said the pin was just barely to large/thick - likely slightly bent from wear. He was able to sand it down a bit with sandpaper and was able to make it fit.

When driving I noticed that the shifting effort was greater than I thought it should and it otherwise seemed "sluggish" through the nuetral area but seemed fine once the weather warmed up a bit later in the day. I noticed similar issues each day - firm and sluggish in the cold mornings, but fine later in the day after it got warmer. In any event, I thought I better get the DSSR since the stock selector rod appeared to be messed up anyhow.

Fast forward to today, I just returned from my shop where they installed the DSSR. Now I have MORE lateral slop than before. Seems like an 1" side to side in any gear (had maybe half that before the DSSR). Furthermore, reverse is difficult to get into and barely seems to hook - the shifter will not go as far forward locking into reverse gear - it just barely hooks (if that makes sense) with lots of tension wanting to shoot back to center. It does not seem to go far enough forward in first either - like there isn't enough slack.

I will obviously be taking it back to the shop but would love some input on what the issues could be so I have some ammo to give the mechanic. From reading the UUC website the DSSR is supposed to nearly eliminate lateral slop (in addition to eliminate wear issues) - certainly not increase it. From other posts, it seems possible he did not get the yellow washers in, although that would not explain the reverse and first gear issues.

Any input? I will call Rob at UUC in the morning but hoping for a head start on input.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #49
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc247 View Post
So I just had my UUC SSK installed about a week ago (did not do it myself) and the mechanic had some issues getting the stock selector rod pin back through the lower pivot bore. He said the pin was just barely to large/thick - likely slightly bent from wear. He was able to sand it down a bit with sandpaper and was able to make it fit.

When driving I noticed that the shifting effort was greater than I thought it should and it otherwise seemed "sluggish" through the nuetral area but seemed fine once the weather warmed up a bit later in the day. I noticed similar issues each day - firm and sluggish in the cold mornings, but fine later in the day after it got warmer. In any event, I thought I better get the DSSR since the stock selector rod appeared to be messed up anyhow.

Fast forward to today, I just returned from my shop where they installed the DSSR. Now I have MORE lateral slop than before. Seems like an 1" side to side in any gear (had maybe half that before the DSSR). Furthermore, reverse is difficult to get into and barely seems to hook - the shifter will not go as far forward locking into reverse gear - it just barely hooks (if that makes sense) with lots of tension wanting to shoot back to center. It does not seem to go far enough forward in first either - like there isn't enough slack.

I will obviously be taking it back to the shop but would love some input on what the issues could be so I have some ammo to give the mechanic. From reading the UUC website the DSSR is supposed to nearly eliminate lateral slop (in addition to eliminate wear issues) - certainly not increase it. From other posts, it seems possible he did not get the yellow washers in, although that would not explain the reverse and first gear issues.

Any input? I will call Rob at UUC in the morning but hoping for a head start on input.
I replied in your other thread, but I have to believe that both yellow washers are not installed on your DSSR. The slip on clip should not need to be modified, so I am not sure what your tech was doing?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #50
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
is this even possible with the tranny still in place. I'd really like to change to this set up but I'm a weekend driveway mechanic and don't have time to go to a shop to get this done during the week. I'll hhave to peak under there some time to see if it's even possible.
It may be possible, but you'd have to get the car up pretty high to do it. My jackstands are fairly large and I found that, even with a good floor jack, there's only so high you can go. When I slid under my car on jackstands 1+ years ago and considered following the UUC instructions, it seemed like a bit of work to do by one's self just to pop a shifter in.

I just ended up grinding out a 1cm relief in the bottom of the UUC shifter's pivot cup (looks like a cylinder) where it has no structural value/concern and that was enough to allow me to install the whole thing from the interior of the car. Without this you can get the shifter in but there is just no way to attach the selector rod to shifter because of the retaining clip. With the relief made in the pivot cup, you can sneak on the retaining clip and you're done, all without even hardly getting dirty.

Otherwise it's probably a 1-2hr job at a mechanic + the $350 shifter. Not cheap but a nice shifter. No contest vs the BMW SSKs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #51
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc247 View Post

It sounds like you either have something significant wrong with the shifter install, possibly even the wrong shifter.

If I had to guess, something was wrong such as:
1) shifter installed backwards (I think the little screw head for adjustment 1/2 way up the thicker part of the pole is supposed to face forwards)
2) some bushings or bearings are knocked loose or missing
3) not enough grease may be on the pivot or one of the shells is missing

The yellow washers don't do much if anything for the side-to-side shifter movement. The UUC shifter is very precisely machined such that it fits very tight on the selector rod and that is what keeps it tight. Otherwise you need the DSSR (I don't have it yet) and maybe new bushings for selector joint.

It may scare you to pull the shifter apart but it's pretty easy- everything just pulls up/off. It might be worth your time just to take the trim off and eyeball it yourself. You might be surprised at what you find unless you have tremendous faith in your mechanic.

Good luck with the repair. Let us know how it works out and what the issue was.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #52
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

I ended up doing the RK7A-L shift knob as well if anyone wants to read about it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...72#post7068372
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #53
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
how is this part compared to the AA short shifter?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #54
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is much of an improvement to be had over the factory short shift kit found in the M-Sport Package?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #55
dtp3347
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.olennick View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is much of an improvement to be had over the factory short shift kit found in the M-Sport Package?
I have had both in my car and I would have to say they are very different. If you prefer a stock like feel with fairly short shifts then the OEM one is good but i prefer the notchy feel and super short shifts of the UUC kit. It also doesnt increase effort much at all and with the ZHP knob the shift feel is absolutely perfect. Ask ATLE92 and Nivedh as we all agreed that this setup is pretty close to perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #56
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

FBIS, I got this same kit and the same knob..thanks for this review...wondering if I should attempt this install myself on Rhino ramps that I raise an extra 4'' with some wooden planks underneath..maybe just get my mechanic to put it in when he does the LSD...what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #57
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
FBIS, I got this same kit and the same knob..thanks for this review...wondering if I should attempt this install myself on Rhino ramps that I raise an extra 4'' with some wooden planks underneath..maybe just get my mechanic to put it in when he does the LSD...what do you think?
dzenno, I am glad the review was able to help you make your decision. You will love it!

I cannot really speak to the install on ramps only because I never did it. I can tell you this is a 30 minute job with the tranny down. It is so easy a caveman could do it. LOL. Really if the tranny is down, then why even mess with it. Maybe you can offer to install it why the mechanic takes lunch?

Seems like we are becoming twins?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #58
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Nivedh did the install on ramps and even checked the DSSR was properly seated... so it can be done. And +1 on installing it while the mechanic is on lunch!
Tranny down sped up the process most definitely (all though we didn't completely drop it)
you are going to love the SSK

also, I have recently noticed that after 8+ weeks the SSK has become like BUTTER. The shifts are even more perfect now
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #59
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Mr. 5, the problem for me was that the distance from 2nd to 3rd was too long and I missed the shift from time to time. The other issue was that the "slop" sometimes feel like I couldn't predict the gear gate location at times. You obviously know fast shifting is important these problems hindered me. Now I feel the shift location is predictable and the shorter distance makes it easier for me to shift quickly.
+1, I need to get an SSK immediately as I feel the same way!
      05-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #60
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Ok, so on the way from UUC I've got SSK/DSSR/R7A-L knob, I got my Wavetrac LSD from ECSMotorsports yesterday (going into a welded diff) and I just ordered the ClutchMasters FX400 (6 puck ceramic) and their flywheel from STETT performance (they have a group buy)...installing all together in one shot, this'll be huge

Last thing is the proper turbos from RB and I'm in the first batch...then it'll be paying off bills, happy times with the car and lots of smiles hopefully don't blow up my motor soon ahaha
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #61
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
+1, I need to get an SSK immediately as I feel the same way!
huyner328, you won't regret the decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #62
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Ok, so on the way from UUC I've got SSK/DSSR/R7A-L knob, I got my Wavetrac LSD from ECSMotorsports yesterday (going into a welded diff) and I just ordered the ClutchMasters FX400 (6 puck ceramic) and their flywheel from STETT performance (they have a group buy)...installing all together in one shot, this'll be huge

Last thing is the proper turbos from RB and I'm in the first batch...then it'll be paying off bills, happy times with the car and lots of smiles hopefully don't blow up my motor soon ahaha
That is a great order. This should take the mechanic about a day or so to do everything. I knocked mine out myself with a friend in two days, but we didn't realize that tilting the engine helps enormously when removing the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #63
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

GREAT review, as usual Former Boosted. I just placed my order based on this review. UUC is having a great special on the DSSR right now - $75 off! Unfortunately it's on back order but they told me the back order shouldn't be much more than a week or so. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #64
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
GREAT review, as usual Former Boosted. I just placed my order based on this review. UUC is having a great special on the DSSR right now - $75 off! Unfortunately it's on back order but they told me the back order shouldn't be much more than a week or so. Thanks!
I335, I am glad the review was helpful! Let us know what you think when you get the chance to install everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #65
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I335, I am glad the review was helpful! Let us know what you think when you get the chance to install everything.
Will do and thanks again for taking the time to write the review.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #66
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I tried contacting them about the backorder twice no response...hope its not more than a week...
Appreciate 0