E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pro Nav - DVD movies?

02-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Pro Nav - DVD movies?

This might be a silly question but go easy on me!

Will the Pro Nav system play DVD movies when stopped?

If yes, how easy is it to:-

1) add 2 x rear headrest monitors
2) make it work on the go?

Thanks Rich (soon to be a 330d owner)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Not without some mods....

see here Tony's your man !

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...04&postcount=3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...23&postcount=5
      02-02-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that but those appear to give a video IN. I am looking for a video OUT from the Pro-Nav DVD player.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
The answer is still no I'm afraid, not without the kit listed above
      02-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

You can't use the internal DVD Nav Drive as a standalone DVD player on the IDrive screen unfortunately - it is only Nav or MP3 audio use... If you want to watch DVDs (or any other video source) on the IDrive screen, you need a separate Video In box (like the ones at www.nav.tv) and an external source (DVD player, TV tuner etc etc). You can, using the external video input box, make the picture work whilst on the move, and there is one product that allows you to utilise the split screen facility of the IDrive unit, so that the left side shows the video and the right side still shows the navigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Tony - can I be so bold to ask how much your TV setup cost.. I have pro Nav, and understand I will need a TV tuner box, and navTV part. How much we talking here?

Looking at nav.tv looks like i need NAV-INBMW3 - cannot seem to spot anyone that will fit it for me

Cheers!

Last edited by dazzapb; 02-03-2008 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Me 2 im intersted.
      02-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
You can't use the internal DVD Nav Drive as a standalone DVD player on the IDrive screen unfortunately - it is only Nav or MP3 audio use... If you want to watch DVDs (or any other video source) on the IDrive screen, you need a separate Video In box (like the ones at www.nav.tv) and an external source (DVD player, TV tuner etc etc). You can, using the external video input box, make the picture work whilst on the move, and there is one product that allows you to utilise the split screen facility of the IDrive unit, so that the left side shows the video and the right side still shows the navigation.
Thanks - that makes it very clear indeed. I now understand!

I am interested in the TV too!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
Thanks Rich (soon to be a 330d owner)
Have you ordered yours yet Rich? I'll be ordering mine in about 2-3 months and I am including the TV, Prof Nav, BT and DAB radio etc. I shall be after your facilities. I have an E46 with TV (working on the move).
      02-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Right, better give some explanation of the two units that are available from Nav.tv

1) A single-input A/V unit (which switches both audio & video) - this emulates the OEM TV Tuner input and shows up on the IDrive menu as the TV. You select it like you're choosing a regular source (CD/Radio etc).

This unit is still in development as there are currently a few issues with all the updated Progman versions available. Time to market is roughly 4 weeks from now, but is a little up in the air.

2) The INBMW3 is a 3-way multi-input video switching unit (but no audio). This is an external box that auto switches when it senses an active video input. It only switches video, and has no audio inputs. Instead it uses the AUX input on the IDrive screen. It is controlled via pressing the IDrive knob down for three seconds, and thereafter using the IDrive Menu button to switch between splitscreen and fullscreen viewing.

This is the unit I have in my car, and it works fantastically. I have disconnected the 3.5mm Aux jack socket in the armrest and hardwired the DVD player into the headunit. The DVD player itself has audio and video inputs to daisychain extra sources in as required.

I went direct to Nav.tv in Cardiff for them to do the installation - they installed the INBMW3 unit behind the IDrive screen, the DVD player in the boot where the CD changer normally lives (I don't have a CD changer), and also installed a remote eye in the passenger footwell so I can control the DVD player using the credit-card remote control. I will also be adding a Freeview TV tuner to the system, as well as my external HD camera which will be mounted behind the front grille.

Cost? Roughly £400 for the INBMW3 unit, plus installation. It is best to go straight to Cardiff for the work at the moment, as the product is so new. Installation time was a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
Have you ordered yours yet Rich? I'll be ordering mine in about 2-3 months and I am including the TV, Prof Nav, BT and DAB radio etc. I shall be after your facilities. I have an E46 with TV (working on the move).
Yes mine is on order for the 1st March!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

dvd playback prof nav

Just wondering,can I play back dvd's in the prof nav on a 08 plate 320d or is it just for the nav disc only? will any other types of media paly? Cheers.
Appreciate 0