E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 30E9 - Nitrogen-oxide catalytic converter, ageing - anyone else had this error code?

02-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
Jet1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

30E9 - Nitrogen-oxide catalytic converter, ageing - anyone else had this error code?

Hi all,

just bought a e92 330i and its giving me this error. Ive noticed there seems to be quite abit of smoke ( white odourless ) even when the car is upto temp. Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

"odourless" smoke is probably just steam? Fairly normal in colder weather and often worse on cars that dont get decent long journeys.

The error code would suggest that your cat has become worn out and is no longer effective at removing NOx from the exhaust gas. Theres also some suggestion online that you can "regenerate" the cat manually. EG here: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/114925...nverter-aging/

It could, potentially, also be a faulty NOx sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #3
Jet1990
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
"odourless" smoke is probably just steam? Fairly normal in colder weather and often worse on cars that dont get decent long journeys.

The error code would suggest that your cat has become worn out and is no longer effective at removing NOx from the exhaust gas. Theres also some suggestion online that you can "regenerate" the cat manually. EG here: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/114925...nverter-aging/

It could, potentially, also be a faulty NOx sensor.
exactly my thinking too.... either the cat is genuinly ageing or the nox sensor is registering dodgy readings thus blaming the cat. i checked with bmw and the nox sensor was replaced back in aug 2012 so whats the odds of the sensor failing again?

If the cat is gone i was thinking of decatting it and getting a remap done to sort out the o2 and nox readings. is this possible?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
When the wife's e93 320 had the NOx sensor failing, it should register the sensor itself. That's what happened on ours.

We had 2 different messages. One saying the NOx sensors was ageing and another saying the cat may be blocking up (or words to that effect).

I changed the NOx sensor (circa £300 for the part, BTW), but left the cat alone, as there was no issues on emissions come MOT time, no smoke, no loss in power or anything.
      02-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
Jet1990
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
When the wife's e93 320 had the NOx sensor failing, it should register the sensor itself. That's what happened on ours.

We had 2 different messages. One saying the NOx sensors was ageing and another saying the cat may be blocking up (or words to that effect).

I changed the NOx sensor (circa £300 for the part, BTW), but left the cat alone, as there was no issues on emissions come MOT time, no smoke, no loss in power or anything.
At the moment the cat is bringing the fault code but i think the car might be running a little rich as its giving me 19mpg town driving which is why i was leaning towards the nox sensor as it may be altering the mixture
Appreciate 0