E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Not quite a F30 Nav....Smile

02-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not quite a F30 Nav....Smile

Not quite a F30 Nav... Smile.

- 7" HD Screen 16.9
- Reverse Auto Camera (Wireless) + Manual View
- Hardwired
- Aux AV inputs
- Digital Speed
- Auto Dim
- Cheap Map Updates
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect........seriously. that is the ultimate upgrade. Can you post a DIY? The matching trim is amazing..

The only problem with the AUX is that it seems so much quieter than the actual system. More info asap!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Newman028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i

What he said^

DEPO V2s - Gloss Black Grills - Gloss Black Vinyl Roof - VMR v710s 19" Matte Black - REMUS Sport Exhuast w/ Resonator Delete - Siberian Husky CoPilot
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
handmemyarms
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect........seriously. that is the ultimate upgrade. Can you post a DIY? The matching trim is amazing..

The only problem with the AUX is that it seems so much quieter than the actual system. More info asap!
i would maybe think there is something in the settings to adjust the volume of an aux source, kind of like when you plug an ipod in and you can adjust the volume on the ipod and it affects the output sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
Whorning
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

Garage List
wow, well played sir!

LCI Rear Conversion | Custom BBS CH l Karbonwerke CF CSL Trunk l Duke Dynamics Performance Diffuser | LTBMW Custom Molded Lip | ST Coilovers | JB3 PnP
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

I have a nexus S on ice cream sandwich. I couldn't see anything on the phone that was specifically for the AUX volume. I turn the phone up to max but still notice a big difference between the radio and the aux on the phone as soon as I unplug and leave the volume as is. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe I should search for units that have that option if I will do this mod....

talking about the mod, it has totally peaked my interest, primarily because of the OEM style integration. I would love to see all your wiring and how you did it. I am guessing your running a magellan 1700. For NAV and back up I'm sure it gets the job done. You have me thinking about running a playbook or the like now.

Anyone know of a GPS/Tablet option in the same screen size, 7" or so?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Cool interior.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Trim piece is from KUDA and I modified the stock Magellan adapter to directly attach to it. Made for a much cleaner fit and running the wires through it. Also keeps it closer to the DASH. And it's rock solid.

Quote:
I have a nexus S on ice cream sandwich. I couldn't see anything on the phone that was specifically for the AUX volume. I turn the phone up to max but still notice a big difference between the radio and the aux on the phone as soon as I unplug and leave the volume as is. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe I should search for units that have that option if I will do this mod....

talking about the mod, it has totally peaked my interest, primarily because of the OEM style integration. I would love to see all your wiring and how you did it. I am guessing your running a magellan 1700. For NAV and back up I'm sure it gets the job done. You have me thinking about running a playbook or the like now.

Anyone know of a GPS/Tablet option in the same screen size, 7" or so?
Correct.. Magellan 1700MU.... I also have a 7" Samsung Tablet I was thinking of using but I wanted an easy way to connect the back up camera. The camera just ties in with your reverse lights to activate it. Magellan has several 7" units, and some with BT, but I already have that with the car's factory Logic 7 unit.

This setup doesn't completely solve my "disappointment" with not getting factory iDrive, but it helps a lot. A LOT! Once I saw the F30 screen it was a no brainer what I was going to do, I just had to make it look good. Several time I thought about swapping out my dash for an iDrive unit and installing a larger GPS unit.

With Logic 7 you are limited on options to swap out for an indash unit without sticking the factory unit in the truck. A pain the ass and you lose other critical options for the car.

I'm still working on some of the wiring for the aux inputs. I want to tie into the console jack. I'll post some of the wiring up.

I'm also going to wrap the back in black CF like the rest of the interior to get rid of the silver look from the outside of the car. Looks fine, but I want it black so it doesn't stand out so much.

You can plug anything into it and play vids, music, etc...

Thanks for the feedback..

Last edited by MacBlack335i; 02-18-2012 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Trim piece is from KUDA and I modified the stock Magellan adapter to directly attach to it. Made for a much cleaner fit and running the wires through it. Also keeps it closer to the DASH. And it's rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

That looks awesome, bro. I have iDrive and I still think that looks really good. Hell, your interior looks really good. Lol.

Question though, can you adjust the angle of the screen? It looks like it's facing down a bit?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
That looks awesome, bro. I have iDrive and I still think that looks really good. Hell, your interior looks really good. Lol.

Question though, can you adjust the angle of the screen? It looks like it's facing down a bit?
The pictures exaggerates the angle a lot more than it is. First picture shows it the best. Its 3 degrees down to line up with the dash. I actually put in the very slight angle on purpose and it wasn't easy since the KUDA unit is perfectly straight. When I was test fitting it I added the angle because it looked better and took any glare away. There is no adjustment once I placed it so I had to get it right. My goal was to make it look as factory as possible and I didn’t want adjustable swivels all over the place. It also has a 4 to 5 degree angle to the driver. Sitting in the car it’s just about perfect.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlack335i View Post
The pictures exaggerates the angle a lot more than it is. First picture shows it the best. Its 3 degrees down to line up with the dash. I actually put in the very slight angle on purpose and it wasn't easy since the KUDA unit is perfectly straight. When I was test fitting it I added the angle because it looked better and took any glare away. There is no adjustment once I placed it so I had to get it right. My goal was to make it look as factory as possible and I didn’t want adjustable swivels all over the place. It also has a 4 to 5 degree angle to the driver. Sitting in the car it’s just about perfect.

Thanks...
Yea, I understand. I had a Kenwood DDX7019 on my last car, it had a setting where you could adjust the angle which I thought was really cool, and to avoid glare I definitely had to play around with it a bit. Anyway, once again it looks great!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
WhiteonWheat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (AW e90 LCI)

Question

Quote:
Looks INSANE!

Will there be a step-by-step DIY write-up sometime soon? I'm willing to contribute to getting one monetarily. Just let me know!!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Sean@PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

That's one big GPS!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PYSpeed.com View Post
That's one big GPS!
yep... 7" DIA and 16:9.... The size is perfect for the GPS, rear camera and play back on the videos. The videos aren't bad at all. The unit uses a Samsung processor so you dont get a lot of fractaling...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

I've had this setup for years...awesome man good to know other ones have this. PM me how u got the reverse camera... i got the same navi and kuda..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat View Post
Looks INSANE!

Will there be a step-by-step DIY write-up sometime soon? I'm willing to contribute to getting one monetarily. Just let me know!!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
Let me completed the AV hookup and I'll pull something together. Other than getting creative on how to attach the GPS mount to the KUDA bracket it's pretty straight forward. just wired the power into the supply I already had in the area for the boost gauge. The camera hooks to the reverse lights wire. Run the wire for the camera wireless receiver module to the unit and stick it in the dash behind the vent. Already had a lot of work in this area with the gauge.

I want to wire one of the steering wheel button to toggle the rear camera so I just hit the button and it brings up the rear view. smile..

I also want to wire a pin connection directly to the AUX for any media device.

Thanks for the feedback...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
I've had this setup for years...awesome man good to know other ones have this. PM me how u got the reverse camera... i got the same navi and kuda..

I got the camera directly from Magellan.

$129 for the complete kit.

*Make sure your unit will accept AUX input for the camera. I think the 1700 and 7" and up series have been out for just under 2 years.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

yeah sorry i had something else before and was just not big enough. I rmr getting this for a while back though. Link to the kit by any chance? i didn't even know it was capable
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
BlackMagic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 335i e92

looks great
      02-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
mrj25
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 LCI

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

That looks really good along with your interior. Great work and good luck with it. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0