E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Brake Disk & Pad Combo Recommendations

04-07-2015, 04:07 AM   #1
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

335i Brake Disk & Pad Combo Recommendations

Brakes need replacing - looking for recommendations for disk & pad combinations for road use.

Key criteria is good stopping power, drilled and/or slotted disks & pads which don't create too much brake dust.

FYI I'm currently running MTEC drilled & grooved disks (mtecbrakes.com) with EBC Redstuff pads. Have had brake judder issues ever since these were installed. Hub & disk runout seems within tolerance so not sure what the issue is - want to change to another brand to see if it is the disk/pad combo.

So what do you guys recommend? I've read a few threads over the past year and the following springs to mind:

OEM BMW
EBC Drilled & Grooved with EBC Yellowstuff

Any others you guys have experience with? Or any comments on Yellowstuff vs. Redstuff?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport LCI

I run standard BMW discs with Yellowstuff pads in my M5, these pads are much better than the standard pads, better stopping power, less fade, less dust, no judder and I'll be buying them again, probably going to get a set for the 330d as well.

Had grooved discs in the past, they look good behind the wheels, but they're noisier and wear the pads quicker, so I just stick with vented discs or cross drilled these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurmit View Post
Brakes need replacing - looking for recommendations for disk & pad combinations for road use.

Key criteria is good stopping power, drilled and/or slotted disks & pads which don't create too much brake dust.

FYI I'm currently running MTEC drilled & grooved disks (mtecbrakes.com) with EBC Redstuff pads. Have had brake judder issues ever since these were installed. Hub & disk runout seems within tolerance so not sure what the issue is - want to change to another brand to see if it is the disk/pad combo.

So what do you guys recommend? I've read a few threads over the past year and the following springs to mind:

OEM BMW
EBC Drilled & Grooved with EBC Yellowstuff

Any others you guys have experience with? Or any comments on Yellowstuff vs. Redstuff?
Stoptech kit from VRSF?

http://www.vr-speed.com/stoptech-07-...brake-kit.html

OE size, really good ratings on these...

$850 delivered plus 20-30 quid for customs...

I've ordered loads from VRSF never paid over 30 for customs...

Amazing prices and amazing quality on their goods, can't recommend them enough.

As soon as I'm paid I'm getting these too

I think it work out to about£550 all round including uprated steel lines, bottle of uprated brake fluid, plus slotted and drilled discs, and the pads... I think that's a great deal!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting - what's brake dust like with the stoptechs?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Running Stoptech and EBC yellows, once you runned in the pads and disc, it feels unstoppable. even cold bite is very good. ( on standard oem brake hose, however i would recommend to change new oem brake hose if you car is quite old if you aren't planning to change to SS hoses)

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurmit View Post
Interesting - what's brake dust like with the stoptechs?
Mixed reviews, people say its less dusty than OEM some say nearly as dusty and some say more dusty, but the most dominant review states its a trade-off for the reliability, ongoing performance and kindness to rotors/discs. Makes them last longer, do more track days, better braking etc etc.

Here's a few reviews;

I would check on all different sites to get as much information as you possibly can;

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...rformance+Pads

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12772563

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/73A5866A0A0.aspx

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...-thoughts.html

Just a few links i found by googling... Just message Tiago@VRSF and he'll help you through. Very friendly guy and gives good advice

I have heard good things about the EBC stuff too! There's quite a few people on here who have the EBC stuff so they can give you their feedback. If I'm not mistaken some also had a mixture of STOPTECH discs and EBC pads... (dont hold me to that)

Good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

I would personally avoid EBC all together.

Ferodo Premiers get the thumbs up from me as a good road pad.

Stoptechs look expensive for what you get. Fancy drilled/grooved disks dont actually do very much, plain disks will by and large do the job just fine and are typically much cheaper. I've always just used decent quality disks from the motorfactors, really is no point spending huge money on fancy disks.

Juddering is probably caused by incorrect break-in and uneven pad deposits. Read stoptechs article about breaking in pads and disks properly before you invest in a new set:

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...nd-other-myths
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Running Stoptech and EBC yellows, once you runned in the pads and disc, it feels unstoppable.
Great marketing for a brake company there - Brakes that make your car unstoppable LOL

Starting to like the sound of Stoptech disks. Wish someone dealt them in the UK - US boys get all the good stuff ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Please elaborate my friend - you have tales of woe to share?

FYI I'm aware that drilled/grooved disks don't actually do very much, but I have them on the car purely for aesthetic reasons! Yes I am right ol' slaaag.

Brake judder not related to incorrect break-in, as I followed the steps and judder was there on the 1st drive whilst trying to break em in! Am hoping to change over to different disk/pad combo (hence this thread) which should help me to rule brakes out - then can investigate other areas. Cheers bud.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umut335i View Post
Mixed reviews, people say its less dusty than OEM some say nearly as dusty and some say more dusty, but the most dominant review states its a trade-off for the reliability, ongoing performance and kindness to rotors/discs. Makes them last longer, do more track days, better braking etc etc.
I'm thinking of going for Stoptech disks and EBC pads. I reckon the people complaining of dust are using Stoptech pads.

So, next decision is Redstuff vs. Yellowstuff! Do yellows produce more brake dust than reds?

The description on EBCs site specifically mentions low brake dust for the reds, but no mention of that for the yellows. Not too worried abt performance on track days etc, as only for road use (maybe a little fast road use now n again )
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Calum95
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N53

I don't have a 335 but just fitted OEM Discs and red stuff pads to my 325 and they feel great!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

The EBC items do interest me as mine will be due up in the near future, plus we are a dealer, the choice for me is on he face of it OEM, which once fitted cause no issues, or do I look at something like the EBC items, which seem very well made and do get good overall feedack reviews.

Pads though are key. You hear so many different things about this pad and that its very diffucult to make a decision. I'm looking fora pad that's got good bit from cold and works well re everyday driving therefore the trackday type pad is off the list

But back to the brakes in general StopTech do have a decent reputation the slotted disc set up should allow heat to escape plus at the same time they'll assist with "cleaning the surface" they'll be from what I know a little more effective on everyday motoring that say drilled discs.

All very interesting stuff
      04-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:

Ferodo Premiers get the thumbs up from me as a good road pad.
Based on what?

The EBC Yellowstuff I'm running in the M5 are great as a fast road pad, they work from cold, get better as they warm up, not overly dusty, no noise like some performance pads, they are a vast improvement over the standard ones!

As for Ferodo Premier, they are nothing special, I've had them on the wife's car in the past and they were ok, but not ideal in anything with a bit of power.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 01:52 AM   #14
Kam187
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Sport Individual

I run standard discs with Pagid RS29's, not cheap but the performance gain is massive with the only better option being a BBK.
      04-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #15
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Based on what?

The EBC Yellowstuff I'm running in the M5 are great as a fast road pad, they work from cold, get better as they warm up, not overly dusty, no noise like some performance pads, they are a vast improvement over the standard ones!

As for Ferodo Premier, they are nothing special, I've had them on the wife's car in the past and they were ok, but not ideal in anything with a bit of power.
From the last 10+ years in modified/tuning scene, theres a recurring theme of how awful EBC pads are. From them breaking up/disintegrating/melting, to wooden feeling pedals, to just generally being a bit pap compared with other options.

Its an opinion held by many people on various different unrelated forums i've used over the years. As such i've always avoided them, and to be perfectly honest i've never had a problem using good road pads like the Ferodo Premiers on a road car.

The simple fact is that pads essentially fit into two categories, road pads, with proper R90 approval, and track/race pads, which are much more aggressive and dont have R90 approval. The EBC's try to sit in the middle with a R90 approved pad that pretends its up there with proper trackday pads like the Ferodo DS series or Mintex M11xx etc, and ends up being a bit compromised for both situations.

Ofcourse i'll happily admit that it may well be that they've changed the compounds and they've got better in recent times, but personally i still wouldnt use them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #16
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
From the last 10+ years in modified/tuning scene, theres a recurring theme of how awful EBC pads are. From them breaking up/disintegrating/melting, to wooden feeling pedals, to just generally being a bit pap compared with other options.

Its an opinion held by many people on various different unrelated forums i've used over the years. As such i've always avoided them, and to be perfectly honest i've never had a problem using good road pads like the Ferodo Premiers on a road car.

The simple fact is that pads essentially fit into two categories, road pads, with proper R90 approval, and track/race pads, which are much more aggressive and dont have R90 approval. The EBC's try to sit in the middle with a R90 approved pad that pretends its up there with proper trackday pads like the Ferodo DS series or Mintex M11xx etc, and ends up being a bit compromised for both situations.

Ofcourse i'll happily admit that it may well be that they've changed the compounds and they've got better in recent times, but personally i still wouldnt use them.
If you haven't used them,please refrain from writting such a strong comment like you used them and almost died because of it. Anyone can find lots of info regarding how bad ebc were in the old tuning scene and to be honest i was put off with reading so much on the net.

i bought mine to try and was ready to bin them if they were really rubbish.

i used the same set for 2 years now and i still have plenty of life left, one word of advise , i had to do alot of 100+mph to 30mph and upto a month of driving to finally get my pads worn in.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #17
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Yep the old EBC stuff was shite but its all good now.

I run Ultimax discs and yellows and they are massively better than OEM!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #18
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I run Ultimax discs and yellows and they are massively better than OEM!
Had same set up on my 335i, and previous 350Z, no complaints at all about EBC quality from my experiences.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #19
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
If you haven't used them,please refrain from writting such a strong comment like you used them and almost died because of it. Anyone can find lots of info regarding how bad ebc were in the old tuning scene and to be honest i was put off with reading so much on the net.

i bought mine to try and was ready to bin them if they were really rubbish.

i used the same set for 2 years now and i still have plenty of life left, one word of advise , i had to do alot of 100+mph to 30mph and upto a month of driving to finally get my pads worn in.
I didnt write a strong comment about dying.

I expressed my personal opinion that i would avoid them.

You can form personal opinions about things without having personally tried them, and many people do so about all sorts of things in life. Sometimes these opinions might be flawed or biased, sometimes they can be backed up with hard evidence, sometimes its just a "feeling".

The biggest issue with brakes, is very few people do proper objective testing in a controlled manner. Someone will have a car with 3 year old brakes which are becoming worn out, and will decide that they're crap and need an upgrade, so will install some fancy uprated parts and declare they're 100% better than before. But your not then comparing like for like are you? If you replaced the original worn out parts with new standard parts it would also likely transform how the brakes worked, because its all nice and new and working properly.

No-ones going to take four sets of brand new disks, and four different pads, and try them all back to back and measure how they perform on a road car, its all subjective, and unfortunately because we're all human, if you spend £200 on something thats supposed to be better, the likelyhood is you will conclude its better, even if it was infact no better than a brand new set of standard parts.

The one field you do get proper comparisons is track and race use, becuase those folks and eating thru brake pads extremely quickly, and thus are (almost) doing back to back testing between different products. But ofcourse that data is pretty useless for a road car.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Ebc stuff is crap

Iv just ordered a set of ds2500 for the front of mine as the brakes are really poor once you start nipping on , Bmw disks will be bought when worn , no one sells drilled disks now as they will all end up cracking (bar carbon ceramic havnt seen any cracked yet , normaly wear out to fast haha)

Stainless steel lines and superdot 4 will be the next step if I'm still not 100% happy , but from past experience I think the ds2500's will be up to the job
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Hmmm so EBC stuff is crap now?

I sold discs and pads to around 50 members + on this forum over the last few years. All ebc stuff, 90% yellowstuff. And how many complaints? Zero. Not even one.

So my opinion is backed by feedback from users, plus i use them myself on my 335D.

If you want to carry on believing they are crap because of what you have read on a 5 year old thread then that's fine with me.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #22
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I didnt write a strong comment about dying.

I expressed my personal opinion that i would avoid them.

You can form personal opinions about things without having personally tried them, and many people do so about all sorts of things in life. Sometimes these opinions might be flawed or biased, sometimes they can be backed up with hard evidence, sometimes its just a "feeling".

The biggest issue with brakes, is very few people do proper objective testing in a controlled manner. Someone will have a car with 3 year old brakes which are becoming worn out, and will decide that they're crap and need an upgrade, so will install some fancy uprated parts and declare they're 100% better than before. But your not then comparing like for like are you? If you replaced the original worn out parts with new standard parts it would also likely transform how the brakes worked, because its all nice and new and working properly.

No-ones going to take four sets of brand new disks, and four different pads, and try them all back to back and measure how they perform on a road car, its all subjective, and unfortunately because we're all human, if you spend £200 on something thats supposed to be better, the likelyhood is you will conclude its better, even if it was infact no better than a brand new set of standard parts.

The one field you do get proper comparisons is track and race use, becuase those folks and eating thru brake pads extremely quickly, and thus are (almost) doing back to back testing between different products. But ofcourse that data is pretty useless for a road car.
cool, i won't waste my energy since you are the know it all and everyone here seems to you has no technical knowledge.
Appreciate 0