E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AWD Turbo installment contemplation! Need help

01-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
haitz16
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
AWD Turbo installment contemplation! Need help

Well as the title says im having a huge contiplation on having the AWD turbos installed on my car. I have been sitting on it for almost a year now. I have a 07 335i with

-BOV (Installed)
-Intake (Installed)
-Exhaust Delete (Installed)
-DP (Not installed)
-Intercooler (Not installed)
-AWD Turbos (Not installed)

Everything listed that’s Not Installed would be installed if I did have the turbos installed. I used to have a JB4 but it keep on giving me problems so I sold it, so as of right now I DO NOT have a tune in the car. So basically im wondering if I should install the rest of the parts or not because im not sure if I NEED a tune to have the turbos work correctly in the car or is it just highly recommended? If I had all of these parts installed would I have a lot of problems and would the care be a money pot after it? I understand things break but I don’t want stuff to break all the time. No I do not track the car but I would like to take it to the drag strip but not very often.

Thank you for the feedback.
      01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

You can install everything besides the DP's for that you need something to surpress the O2 sensor cat warnings.

you will have a slight bump in performance, but almost 100-150whp below your potential.. assuming AWD turbo's are a kind of stage 2 turbo's. It would almost be criminal to not have a tune with such a config.

Consider Cobb or procede... altough pretty sure that tje JB4 could do the job.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
haitz16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo View Post
You can install everything besides the DP's for that you need something to surpress the O2 sensor cat warnings.

you will have a slight bump in performance, but almost 100-150whp below your potential.. assuming AWD turbo's are a kind of stage 2 turbo's. It would almost be criminal to not have a tune with such a config.

Consider Cobb or procede... altough pretty sure that tje JB4 could do the job.
I already sold the JB4. I wouldnt mind getting another tune but just wondering would it be worth it if i didnt or is it needed to get one for the job to be done.
      01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 JetBlack

What "problems" were you having with the jb4? Misfiring?

Most likely they will arise again regardless of which tune you choose.
Best to get the car 110% before spending the money on the turbo/install and being left with problems after.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
haitz16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
What "problems" were you having with the jb4? Misfiring?

Most likely they will arise again regardless of which tune you choose.
Best to get the car 110% before spending the money on the turbo/install and being left with problems after.
Yes it was misfiring and then also fuel pump but i got that replaced.
      01-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Markyd83
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

300whp vs 450whp. It would be stupid not to get a tune again. Waste of money on parts without it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

I'm no turbo expert but looking at the pics of that vs RB's and others in the recent turbo threads that looks like an upgraded stock sized turbo which already is capable or 400+HP so if that is the case I would consider selling those and buying a tune. Without a tuner to adjust make adjustments you can do all you want to these cars and it will only result in stock like performance at best.
      01-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
I'm no turbo expert but looking at the pics of that vs RB's and others in the recent turbo threads that looks like an upgraded stock sized turbo which already is capable or 400+HP so if that is the case I would consider selling those and buying a tune. Without a tuner to adjust make adjustments you can do all you want to these cars and it will only result in stock like performance at best.
I'm thinking the car wouldn't run properly without a tune. While our ECUs are pretty good, I'm thinking larger turbos might be a bit rough without any software changes to support... I might be off base though as I'm not an expert.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

AWD turbos aren't much different than the stock MHI units. The car will run and drive just fine without a tune. The only this is you may experience some overboost induced throttle closures but at the stock boost level you probably won't even feel them.
With the catless DPs you will throw a CEL without a tune or DPfix.

However, that's a long list of parts(and a lot of money) to waste because the car isn't tuned to take advantage of them. The right thing to do would be to fix the misfire issue and then install the bolt-ons.