E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield Replacement OEM (Tinted black or green?)

10-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
BMWSHL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i, 6MT, Black

Windshield Replacement OEM (Tinted black or green?)

Just got my OEM windshield replaced by safelite, but I notice that it is a tad more tinted than the one I had before. It has a rain sensor. The new one is a Pilkington with BMW logo like the old one that was cracked, but the serial number on glass is slightly different. The one I had before was E000201 and the new one is E000202. Perhaps it is psychological, but I think the new one is not as clear as the old windshield. The old one had almost a greenish tint, but the new one is more black tinted (which actually looks cooler), but visibility doesn't seem as clear. Anyone has similar experience, or have looked at the plus and minus for the two windshields by Pilkington. I'm contemplating calling safelite to let them know that they put the wrong windshield on, but wanted to get some opinions before I call. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Umm in not sure but mine with green strip or w/e doesn't cover the sensors the sensors are about an inch below it
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSHL View Post
Just got my OEM windshield replaced by safelite, but I notice that it is a tad more tinted than the one I had before. It has a rain sensor. The new one is a Pilkington with BMW logo like the old one that was cracked, but the serial number on glass is slightly different. The one I had before was E000201 and the new one is E000202. Perhaps it is psychological, but I think the new one is not as clear as the old windshield. The old one had almost a greenish tint, but the new one is more black tinted (which actually looks cooler), but visibility doesn't seem as clear. Anyone has similar experience, or have looked at the plus and minus for the two windshields by Pilkington. I'm contemplating calling safelite to let them know that they put the wrong windshield on, but wanted to get some opinions before I call. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
I think if you call Safelite they'll think you are being a typical persnickety BMW owner.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
BMWSHL
Enlisted Member
Rep

I admit it, I'm BMW OCD. Major, I like your comment about the different drive modes. They are absolutely unnecessary. Back to the tinted windshield. I filed a glass claim and have already paid the deductible of $250, so if they did in fact installed the wrong glass, I'm sure I can my case, but is it worth the hassle? The heavier tint is making the visibility a tad more blurry.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

You should be happy at the fact you got a Pilkington. There are numerous colors from when I researched between the main tint and sun shade, so you may have not gotten the same colors as before.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
BMWSHL
Enlisted Member
Rep

I can't really tell whether my door windows are green tinted. I just didn't want a mismatch.
Appreciate 0