E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2007 BMW 335i BETA AccessPORT Available Now!

04-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #89
BMR335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepeda View Post
Got the Cobb AP yesterday and after about an hour of cursing and bitching I finally got it to work....

once updated I plugged the Cobb into the car, it start dumping my rom but of course failed. I was aware of this since I talked to Cobb before hand, so moving on. After the error I tried to flash the tune. after about 2% it stopped. it went into a recovery mode. followed the display prompts and started it again. again after 2% failed Communication error. ok shut everything off and tried again and again and again.... at this point the car will not start of course. oh I forgot to mention once it started the flash the car was acting weird. the wipers were going off and my car kept beeping (Door tone sound). i walked away from the car cursing. cooled down, took the Cobb to my computer and double checked it was updated. everything came back ok. I tried once again. after the 3rd time the Cobb started the recovery process it got to about 90% and failed. started again right after and it finally completed.
Thanks for the write-up with your experience, Jorge. I have been having a similar problem installing the AP on my 07 e92...gets to 2%, wipers go, then at 3% "ECU Comms" error. COBB customer service is living up to their superb reputation, as Rob@Cobb is in frequent contact regarding my situation, so I'm sure the issue will get resolved...hopefully sooner than later.

However, I'm interested to learn that you were eventually able to succeed in getting past 3%...did you do anything differently the last time around? Also, could you describe the recovery mode that you entered? I haven't seen a prompt for that or an option in the menu. I've tried to install about 15 times and have consistently had the exact same outcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #90
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2

I wish I would have taken a pic but I will try my best to describe it. once the error occurs it prompts you to check the cable and to put the car in off position. I just pulled the key off. I unplugged the cobb and started over. The first time it just gave me a error was when it tried to read my tune. it failed, after that it tried to rebuild my flash using the recovery mode on the cobb menu and it would fail after 2%. I did try something different the 2nd time and that was remove all the tunes from cobb so it was like it came from the box just updated for 07. then I tried the recovery again or it tried to rebuild my stock map. that time it went to 90% or so, once the error popped up I took the key out and put it back into the on postion and started again. once it finished I unplugged everything reloaded the tunes and tried to load the 91 tune. that took about 10min. I notice when it first started the recovery it took a while for it to increment in percentage. once it was out of recovery it was loading a whole lot faster. I know what it feels like. I almost smashed the cobb I was getting so frustrated... I hope this helps. I honestly was just trying everything I could think of at the time. I was so pissed I was going to leave my car over the weekend I was not thinking straight at the time or else I would have taken video to post, but once installed and I was over my anger I took video of the DYNO runs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR335 View Post
Thanks for the write-up with your experience, Jorge. I have been having a similar problem installing the AP on my 07 e92...gets to 2%, wipers go, then at 3% "ECU Comms" error. COBB customer service is living up to their superb reputation, as Rob@Cobb is in frequent contact regarding my situation, so I'm sure the issue will get resolved...hopefully sooner than later.

However, I'm interested to learn that you were eventually able to succeed in getting past 3%...did you do anything differently the last time around? Also, could you describe the recovery mode that you entered? I haven't seen a prompt for that or an option in the menu. I've tried to install about 15 times and have consistently had the exact same outcome.

Last edited by jzepeda; 04-02-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #91
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post

The AccessPORT for 2007 BMW 335i MT and AT vehicles is now available as a beta release. The same AP-BMW-001 AccessPORT used on 2008-2010 135, 335 and 535 N54 equipped BMW’s will work on 2007 BMW 335i vehicles with a simple firmware update to the latest version. The existing Stage1 calibrations apply to 2007-2010 models. Both manual and automatic vehicles are supported. Be sure to update your AccessPORT to the latest BETA firmware prior to initial installation.

Current AccessPORTs will need to be updated to BETA Firmware to take advantage of this update. To update to the latest BETA firmware version download AccessPORT Manager 2.0, start the program and then select the “Options” menu. Next, select “Check for beta firmware” and then update your AccessPORT. All maps will be automatically updated and loaded onto your AccessPORT.

As with the release of the 2008-2010 BMW AccessPORT, not all ROMs may be supported immediately. If an unknown ROM is encountered, follow the ROM dump procedures and we will add support for your ROM as quickly as possible. Email the ROM along with the year, model and transmission type to rom@cobbtuning.com.

Ordering Information!!!

Our online store is currently experiencing issues. Please call us at 1-866-922-3059 to order your AccessPORT. Any orders placed online at this time will not be processed!
I thought the difference would be greater between stock and Stage 1.
According to the dyno it's only 38 hp and 50 ft.lbs torq.
Looks a little disappointing.

One member/customer said his new Cobb feels as stronger or stronger than his Dinan Stage 2.
I can't see how.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #92
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That was me. Dinan is a very conservative tune. If I get a chance tonight I will start my thread I just don't have time at the moment to put it all together. Dinan will back off the boost really quickly it also builds up slower than the Cobb. I happen to like the Dinan tune more for that reason but as people on this forum have stated the cobb can be tuned to your liking for throttle response. I ran the car back to back. Dinan tune first than Cobb. same conditions same dyno. one thing I will say is the Cobb was still adjusting/adapting when I ran it. I will go more into detail later on in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
I thought the difference would be greater between stock and Stage 1.
According to the dyno it's only 38 hp and 50 ft.lbs torq.
Looks a little disappointing.

One member/customer said his new Cobb feels as stronger or stronger than his Dinan Stage 2.
I can't see how.

Last edited by jzepeda; 04-02-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #93
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

The 2007 dyno graphs were collected using an AT vehicle, which tend to show lower absolute number gains than the MT cars.

Regards-
Lance

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 04-02-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #94
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Im running 6MT, i will post results soon.

Dinan vs Cobb Reviews:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511017

Last edited by jzepeda; 04-04-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #95
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepeda View Post
That was me. Dinan is a very conservative tune. If I get a chance tonight I will start my thread I just don't have time at the moment to put it all together. Dinan will back off the boost really quickly it also builds up slower than the Cobb. I happen to like the Dinan tune more for that reason but as people on this forum have stated the cobb can be tuned to your liking for throttle response. I ran the car back to back. Dinan tune first than Cobb. same conditions same dyno. on thing I will say is the Cobb was still adjusting when I ran it. I will go more into detail later on in my post.
I can't wait to see the difference between the 2 dyno's.

I just ordered a Cobb AP for my 2008 535i. I'm taking it in on this Wed. to get the fuel pump replaced and the injectors checked but the SA said they will be reflashing the ecu after all this work is done. I've heard from BMW owners that have had the reflash done, that the car's feel slower than before. I'm still not sure if I want to have this done. The fuel pump was just replaced in January but I don't think they reflashed the computer.

I thought about the Dinan but it's a total pain to have it reflashed every time it needs service ot warranty. That's what made me decide on the Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #96
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
I can't wait to see the difference between the 2 dyno's.

I just ordered a Cobb AP for my 2008 535i. I'm taking it in on this Wed. to get the fuel pump replaced and the injectors checked but the SA said they will be reflashing the ecu after all this work is done. I've heard from BMW owners that have had the reflash done, that the car's feel slower than before. I'm still not sure if I want to have this done. The fuel pump was just replaced in January but I don't think they reflashed the computer.

I thought about the Dinan but it's a total pain to have it reflashed every time it needs service ot warranty. That's what made me decide on the Cobb.
With a tuned car those software updates that may or may not make your car "feel" slower wont really matter. Just plug the cobb in and enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #97
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I Agree, with a reflashed ECU it will not matter. The Cobb tune will blow over in a sense the factory tune. you might run into a rom the Cobb does not have. If that happens you will need to send the rom into cobb so they can add it to thier list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
With a tuned car those software updates that may or may not make your car "feel" slower wont really matter. Just plug the cobb in and enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #98
BrokerE93M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

I had the Cobb Accessport for my 2008 EVO X and I loved it. Some many features. Although, I remember it being a bit cheaper for the EVO
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #99
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

any 07's having troubles flashing?
      04-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #100
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
No trouble with mine
      04-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #101
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1284 View Post
any 07's having troubles flashing?
What issue are you seeing?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #102
michael1284
Colonel
Rep

Connection issues. It would flash to 2%, drop, then flash to 30%, drop. It kept doing this on and on. Initially thought it was a battery issue, plugged it into a charger at cobb and it was still doing it. Going to be meeting up w/ Rob in a few weeks to diagnose. I was just curious to see if anyone else were having some of the same issues. For the mean time I'm stuck w/ the tune on and my AP in recovery.
      04-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #103
ren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR335 View Post

Quote:
Connection issues. It would flash to 2%, drop, then flash to 30%, drop. It kept doing this on and on. Initially thought it was a battery issue, plugged it into a charger at cobb and it was still doing it. Going to be meeting up w/ Rob in a few weeks to diagnose. I was just curious to see if anyone else were having some of the same issues. For the mean time I'm stuck w/ the tune on and my AP in recovery.
I have the same situation as BMR335. I have been talking to Rob for over a week now and he told me that he hopes to replicate the issue at their shop. Otherwise he will try to meet with one of us and find a solution .
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #104
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
Quote:
i had the same issue at 2% too, right after my windshield wipers were swinging, and then ecu comm error. then i talked to ronnie @ socal cobb, he said it might be a dirty OBD port, so i blow all the dust out and it read past through the collecting data process. and then while flashing in, it stuck at ~88% and i thought i had a drained battery, so after another 10X trying to reflash in recovery mode, with a battery charger plugged in, finally got it flashed but then the car already had no more juice to crank. hahahaha.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #105
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I was flashed while I replied.. I just got my ROM and it worked perfectly.. I still haven't went for a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #106
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

installed the cobb on an 07 yesterday. No problems and customer called back later saying how wonderful the car felt with the Cobb Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #107
michael1284
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erensf View Post
I have the same situation as BMR335. I have been talking to Rob for over a week now and he told me that he hopes to replicate the issue at their shop. Otherwise he will try to meet with one of us and find a solution .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
i had the same issue at 2% too, right after my windshield wipers were swinging, and then ecu comm error. then i talked to ronnie @ socal cobb, he said it might be a dirty OBD port, so i blow all the dust out and it read past through the collecting data process. and then while flashing in, it stuck at ~88% and i thought i had a drained battery, so after another 10X trying to reflash in recovery mode, with a battery charger plugged in, finally got it flashed but then the car already had no more juice to crank. hahahaha.
Looks like there's a few of us having this problem. Mine was the 2-3% thing too for a while. Then it was all over the place. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. Rob is out of the country next week, but he's driving up to Dallas 4/21 to meet up with me. I'll be leaving my car with him for the day to see if he can figure out what's going on. I'll try to keep you guys updated.

EDIT: FYI my car is flashed, it went through eventually, but I cannot get the tune off right now because it keeps on going into recovery. We finally got it to finish flashing (93 oct Stage 1 Map) and said, let's leave it at that for now until Rob comes. Also, your car will not run if it fails during any part of the flashing process. Your car will just keep cranking. I found it helpful that when it failed at flashing, I unplugged everything, took the key out and waited 30 seconds before plugging the AP back in and trying.

Last edited by michael1284; 04-08-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #108
ren
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Looks like there's a few of us having this problem. Mine was the 2-3% thing too for a while. Then it was all over the place. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. Rob is out of the country next week, but he's driving up to Dallas 4/21 to meet up with me. I'll be leaving my car with him for the day to see if he can figure out what's going on. I'll try to keep you guys updated.

EDIT: FYI my car is flashed, it went through eventually, but I cannot get the tune off right now because it keeps on going into recovery. We finally got it to finish flashing (93 oct Stage 1 Map) and said, let's leave it at that for now until Rob comes. Also, your car will not run if it fails during any part of the flashing process. Your car will just keep cranking. I found it helpful that when it failed at flashing, I unplugged everything, took the key out and waited 30 seconds before plugging the AP back in and trying.
Mine could never start flashing, it crashed at 3% when downloading the stock rom. I ended with a bunch of codes which I cleared right away, and the car started just fine because nothing was written to the ECU. I charged my battery and tried at least 3-4 times but the exact same thing happened each time, communication error at 3%.

Let us know how it goes.

Rob is pretty good at responding to e-mails, and I'm sure he will figure out the problem once he finds a car with this issue. At the end, this is still a beta version for our models so I can't complain, especially with this level of customer service.

So we have BMR335, michael1284, erensf and lawwailok. I wonder what's common among our cars that's different from all other 2007s that didn't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #109
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
FYI my car (no issues during install) is an August 07 build on the original (as far as i know) battery. had it on a trickle charger during flash.
      04-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #110
ren
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkr335 View Post
FYI my car (no issues during install) is an August 07 build on the original (as far as i know) battery. had it on a trickle charger during flash.
You're lucky. I charged mine overnight and left it on while flashing, but it didn't help.
Appreciate 0