E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 Ecm location

03-17-2024, 04:05 PM   #1
NJE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328i e93 n52 motor

E93 Ecm location

can someone help me? I have a 2008 BMW 328I E 93 model engine n51 3.0 L Six cylinder I believe my ECM is bad as I drive down as soon as the car gets warm it stalls. I wait 10 minutes and it starts back up having trouble locating the ECM module since the car is a convertible. All I can find on the Internet is for the E 91 and two. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:51 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJE View Post
can someone help me? I have a 2008 BMW 328I E 93 model engine n51 3.0 L Six cylinder I believe my ECM is bad as I drive down as soon as the car gets warm it stalls. I wait 10 minutes and it starts back up having trouble locating the ECM module since the car is a convertible. All I can find on the Internet is for the E 91 and two. Any help would be appreciated.
I can help you find the "DME" which is the Engine Control Module. However playing with THAT is the LAST thing you want to do.

First Thing:
Get Fault Codes Read (nearest Advance Auto or AutoZone) in ALL modules, or at least Engine (DME), CAS (Car Access System), & EKPS (Fuel Pump Module) & Post them HERE.

When you post back, please indicate:
1) Last-7 Characters of your VIN;
2) Make/ Model of any Scan Tool or diagnostic software (INPA/ISTA available);
2A) Fault Codes Read?
3) Warning Lights that appear on Instrument Cluster when engine stalls;
4) Any CC-ID Code(s) read using procedure found in Owner's Manual: "Check Control";
5) When engine stalls, does Starter Crank engine, but engine won't fire?
6) Does it take ~ 10 minutes after stall for engine to fire again? (Don't Crank Starter more than 10 seconds in any one minute period).

IF my understanding of your symptoms is correct, the FIRST suspect is that the Fuel Pump is quitting when warm, but Fault Codes and some Tests are needed instead of GUESSING. It would be Helpful if you can acquire/borrow a Scan Tool, but we can do some diagnosis with just a cheap ($10) Multimeter to do electrical TESTS, per Forum directions.
George
Appreciate 0