E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AC only blowing cold on passenger side.

02-16-2024, 11:49 PM   #1
E90 Saffa
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 320i

AC only blowing cold on passenger side.

Good day,

My AC is only blowing cold air from the passenger side. Especially the vent near the window. The vents on the driver side are just blowing normal air. I had the AC regassed and it is still the same. I can hear the fan if I turn the speed all the way up, but I feel like it is just making more noise than actually blowing air.

Was it necessary to vacuum the AC system before regassing it? It doesn’t have a leak and I assume the compressor is working if the passenger vents are able to blow cold.

I checked on google and searched the forum and many suggested that the flaps may be stuck redirecting the AC’s cold air through the heater, but this is not the case. I tracked the flaps in the AC system with INPA and they are all working correctly, they open and close from 0 to 100 with no issues.

What else could be the problem? Or did I watse money on a regas and I needed to vacuum the system first?

This is a RHD car.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 11:53 PM   #2
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Wouldn't that maybe be an issue with the temp dial? As in it is maybe stuck at some temp and thus the one side thinks you want warmer air.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 12:04 AM   #3
E90 Saffa
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims328i View Post
Wouldn't that maybe be an issue with the temp dial? As in it is maybe stuck at some temp and thus the one side thinks you want warmer air.
I checked that, in INPA there is an option to test the functionality of the buttons and temperature dials. Both dials are set to 16°C and that is the temperature also displayed by INPA.

All the temperature readings are the same on the car as it is on INPA from 16°C to 28°C and with every degree adjusted the relevant “flap” in the system also changes slightly redirecting the air through the AC or heater starting at 0 degrees for the AC and 100 degrees for the heater.
Appreciate 1
Bims328i264.50
      02-17-2024, 12:21 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Saffa View Post
... My AC is only blowing cold air from the passenger side. Especially the vent near the window. The vents on the driver side are just blowing normal air. I had the AC regassed and it is still the same. I can hear the fan if I turn the speed all the way up, but I feel like it is just making more noise than actually blowing air...
See the attached pdf: "IHKA Module Tutorial", which shows INPA ScreenPrints for "IHKA87" Variant Climate Control Module (8 Flap Motors), on 3/2007 build 328xi E91.

At MAX cool, both Left & Right Mixed Air Flaps should be at "0"%, with NO air going through Heater Core. You should be able to turn ONE T-Stat to 16C, and other to 24C, or whatever is max Temp, and see Difference in Mixed Air Flap %, Left vs. Right. Switch T-Stat settings, and Flap% should reverse.

Also, you can see Evaporator Temp and Refrigerant Pressure, to confirm Compressor Valve operation.

Please post ScreenPrints of YOUR system, and any questions.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IHKA Module Tutorial.pdf (1.57 MB, 12 views)
Appreciate 1
Bims328i264.50
      03-17-2024, 12:43 PM   #5
E90 Saffa
South Africa
Rep

Update on my issue.

It didn’t have a leak. The system just ran a long time without refrigerant which resulted in damage to the AC compressor. When it was semi working I heard a squealing noise from behind the dashboard and the AC would occasionally blow mist through the vents.

The car always a slight whine when the engine was running, resembling a bad power steering pump. But when I recharged the system the whine got slightly better then got worse to the point the whine was all I could hear when I opened the bonnet.

The AC compressor is now completely shot. I was driving the car as normal, and when I started it again there was a massive knocking noise coming for the engine, sounded like a bearing knock. But it wasn’t connected to the rpm. It would only knock below 1200rpm.

So for now I just used a shorter drive belt to bypass the AC compressor until I can source a working used one.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:20 PM   #6
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

It could be the bearing, and it can be replaced if so.
Mine had almost exactly same symptoms when it failed. A slight whine for a couple of years, and one day it started to sound like a helicopter.

Following a friend’s advice, I removed the belt and spun the pulley and then realized the bearing was shot. Here is a video I took:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBc...w?usp=drivesdk

I was able to replace just the bearing. I took photos to document the process and made a quick DIY a couple of weeks ago for a member. You can find it at the end of the thread below if its of any help to you:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2086414

Last edited by Nando_e90; 03-17-2024 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 1