E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hitching / Stuttering / Jerking

03-18-2024, 04:49 PM   #1
osnowdeal
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328xi (e92)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Angry Hitching / Stuttering / Jerking

I have a 2008 E92 328xi 6MT with 141,995 miles on it.

I have been having some intermittent issues that I'm hoping somebody can tell me if they seem to be related in some way.

Mainly what has been happening is a hitching, stuttering, jerking, jolting, or jerking kind of motion. The rpm's stay don't shoot up or anything, maybe increase by 200 quickly. It's not a super strong hitch, but it's noticeable. It feels comparable to when going slowly in 1st, and letting off the gas, causing the car to chug slightly. (Maybe that's another issue it's having, wouldn't be surprised) It happens every so often, the most it happened was 5 times in 30 minutes. It seems super intermittent, with it happening multiples times in a short drive (30 minutes) to not happening for 700 miles.

The worst was when it did it in a quick burst of 3-4 times in approximately one - two seconds. I was driving 80 mph when it happened with the cruise control engaged. When this burst happened, the service engine soon light came on for the duration of the burst, then went off. I took it to a shop when I got back from the trip (the car didn't have any issues for the 700 miles I had left to drive) and they drove it four separate days, and couldn't replicate the issue. I was thinking it might be a vacuum leak, as where the intake and airbox connect together seems to be warped, and won't quite stay together resulting in a small gap where air could flow in. I mentioned it to a shop but they just told me to come pick the car up lol.

I scanned the car after the burst, and got a P0370, but no check engine light that stayed on. The description of the code was this:

P0370 [0x0370]
Timing reference, high resolution signal A - malfunction
Timing Reference High Resolution Signal "A"

Here's a list of the intermittent issues that have been happening over the course of the last couple weeks

- The hitching / jolting it's self
- Random small spikes in rev's (mostly around 2k rpm) while idle and driving
- Two instances of stalling after running for a couple minutes
- Cruise control malfunction (worked again later in the drive)
- Spikes of rpm's shortly after starting, with SES light occurring once quickly
- Cruise control just simply turned off while driving
- P0370

The only visual evidence for any of these issues was the cruise control randomly turning off while driving, which I linked a Youtube Short link to below.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hv9RpxeV5Pk

I'm hoping somebody can piece these issues together, maybe experienced similar issues too.
Appreciate 0