E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Extremely Disappointed with my New 320i Brisbane

09-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Thanks for that write up, 335i. Informative
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

+1. Btw has anyone experienced such a problem with the engine cutting off while driving due to dirty sensors even after years of driving? Are these sensors prone to dirt and doesn't the cars computer indicate a warning if such a critical component is dirty? ..I would be very concerned esp if I had a trailer truck behind me on a highway, I could be jam!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Thanks for that write up, 335i. Informative
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 09-21-2010 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #25
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

VANOS sensor issues are pretty common, even on relatively new cars.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #26
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
VANOS sensor issues are pretty common, even on relatively new cars.
just checked similar issues reported on other threads, looks like should have popped up an engine malfunction indicator on the cars computer, so thats failed sensors plus a malfunctioning computer?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...+sensor+issues
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #27
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

But the light was on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennly View Post
Guys, thanks for the feedback and reply.

The service manager called me yesterday and identify the issue as follows.
""
Interrogate vehicle for engine warning light on. Vehicle ran poorly and smoke came from engine.

Vehicle had faults with the inlet and exhaust camshaft sensors.
Clean both sensors and refit to vehicle.
""
Plus I heard from a fellow whose VANOS sensor played up that he had intermittent loss of power with no CEL for a week, then on came the light. My understanding is that cam sensors would behave in a similar fashion, as opposed to causing smoke and the engine to shut down, but I am not a BMW technician.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #28
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I mean doesn't the computer flash an engine or similar warning light to the driver much before it actually shutdowns the engine to indicate there was a dirt buildup on the sensors considering that it's such a critical component that could bring the engine to it's knees? Surely the dirt might have been on it right from the beginning considering is a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
But the light was on........
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #29
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I bought an E60 5 series (and it cost a lot more than $65k) and it broke down on start up at 5.30AM and zero degrees on the second day I had it 300k from home and 150km from the nearest dealer – whom I did not buy it from. It suddenly died and smelt like an electrical fire.

BMW road side assist sent a cow cocky around with some jumper leads who just shrugged. They then send a truck loaded it up and me and 5 hours after break down we arrived at the dealer. They arranged a replacement car while they fixed mine and I went on my way 8 hrs behind schedule. Short story they fixed the car and I did 60 thousand k’s of trouble free motoring in it.

Some honest advise (and don’t take it the wrong way):

- drive the car and if its fine then just move on and forget it. Tell your wife to get over it too. Cars break down – FACT. You were unluckly, what matters is how they look after you when it does;
- those who say demand a new car are full of shit. You will not get one in Australia;
- people are starving all over the world, if the biggest problem we ever have is our BMW breaks down and is fixed and returned to us without too much inconvenience then we have little to complain about.

Hope you enjoy the car.

2008 E90 335i MSport, Blacklines, Tint, V4
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #30
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
I mean doesn't the computer flash an engine or similar warning light to the driver much before it actually shutdowns the engine to indicate there was a dirt buildup on the sensors considering that it's such a critical component that could bring the engine to it's knees? Surely the dirt might have been on it right from the beginning considering is a new car.
A computer or engine management system can only give a warning if a specific event is programmed and the computer is still in control. If that were the case the computer would give a warning and then shutdown the engine in a controlled manner. Clearly that does not seem to be the case here where the engine (and potentially the computer) suffered a catastrophic failure in mid-flight at 65km/h.

At some point after the car was restarted, the engine warning light came on (as reported by the service manager), but it's easier to report a rare failure after the fact than it is to predict and prevent it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #31
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoz View Post
A computer or engine management system can only give a warning if a specific event is programmed and the computer is still in control. If that were the case the computer would give a warning and then shutdown the engine in a controlled manner. Clearly that does not seem to be the case here where the engine (and potentially the computer) suffered a catastrophic failure in mid-flight at 65km/h.

At some point after the car was restarted, the engine warning light came on (as reported by the service manager), but it's easier to report a rare failure after the fact than it is to predict and prevent it.
glad they ain't in the aircraft engine business anymore..it wouldn't matter if they checked my blackbox beeped for engine failure after the crash happened..unless offcourse I discovered I was as skilled as Captain Sully of the Hudson river landing dare fame..they surely need the computer working on those sensors!!

Last edited by cruvon; 09-23-2010 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #32
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Cars break down, knowbody was killed. It was repaired and should be good as new.

Get over it and enjoy your car.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #33
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I am confused here because there dosen't seem to be any explanation about what caused the smoke. It is also not clear if there was an overheating issue. On the basis of the first post it sounded like something cooked. If it was my car I'd want a better understanding of what went wrong before dismissing it so easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #34
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterman View Post

- those who say demand a new car are full of shit. You will not get one in Australia;
Are you 100% sure about that?

With a car less than 100kms on the clock, it is not unusual for cars with this type of mileage to be replaced, if the owner is strong in his conviction.

BMW in Australia has replaced vehicles before due to faults with major items such as drivetrain. I have known Holden & Ford to do the same thing.

Quote:

people are starving all over the world, if the biggest problem we ever have is our BMW breaks down and is fixed and returned to us without too much inconvenience then we have little to complain about.
People are starving here as well and with no place to live. I myself donate to the homeless and associated appeals. It is one of the great injustices of a 1st world country such as Australia.

I take place in the annual sleep out that is held at Luna Park in mid June. I can tell you it is not pleasant.

I hope that by making statements such as this you are actively helping those less fortunate in any way that you can, rather than driving past the homeless or needy in your E60 or 335i.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #35
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep

People are starving here as well and with no place to live. I myself donate to the homeless and associated appeals. It is one of the great injustices of a 1st world country such as Australia.

I take place in the annual sleep out that is held at Luna Park in mid June. I can tell you it is not pleasant.

I hope that by making statements such as this you are actively helping those less fortunate in any way that you can, rather than driving past the homeless or needy in your E60 or 335i.[/QUOTE]

So you agree that a breakdown of our BMW's is minor in the grand scheme of things.

Was there some other point to you flopping out your philanthropy qualifications in relation to that statement?

BMW have no obligation in Australia to replace a car, just to fix it - Fact. I’m sure as you suggest replacements do happen but by discretion.

Last edited by Scooterman; 09-23-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #36
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So you agree that a breakdown of our BMW's is minor in the grand scheme of things.

Was there some other point to you flopping out your philanthropy qualifications in relation to that statement?

BMW have no obligation in Australia to replace a car, just to fix it - Fact. I’m sure as you suggest replacements do happen but by discretion.
No, just not sure that this forum is the appropriate place to even mention the starving people of the world. The forum is here as a resource pertaining to BMW ownership. Not how lucky we are to get our cars fixed without issue compared to the less fortunate. Do you not agree?

We all have differing opinions. To some the purchase of a BMW is not an insignificant thing. If they have a -ve issue relating to their ownership, right or wrong it can be a stressful experience. The forum is a place they can seek advice. We should not attempt to adjust other's personal behaviour or beliefs by advising them of how lucky they are compared to the starving people of the world due to the fact they get their BMW fixed without issue. Some may describe that type of response a "philanthropic" assessment.

Probably not required here.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #37
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep

Fair enough - I was not judging him just suggesting not to overreact. My response included a lot more than that one line.

My experience with the E60 would be that cars break down - BMW's included. Don't right off the car because you were unlucky. Judge the dealer (and BMW) on how they manage the issue not on the fact that the car broke down. As noted my car had a fairly serious failure which they rectified and I had no other issues with the car in 3 years.

On a side note how do you like the V4?

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #38
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough - I was not judging him just suggesting not to overreact. My response included a lot more than that one line.

My experience with the E60 would be that cars break down - BMW's included. Don't right off the car because you were unlucky. Judge the dealer (and BMW) on how they manage the issue not on the fact that the car broke down. As noted my car had a fairly serious failure which they rectified and I had no other issues with the car in 3 years.

On a side note how do you like the V4?
Understood.

At the risk of thread jacking, using the Procede is the main reason I haven't sold my E92 335i.

I was tossing up between an E92 335i or E92 M3. The M3 is a great car, fast and predictable. It is not the easiest car to live with as a daily driver. Power comes on alot higher in the rev range than it does with a 335i. The 335i, I thought was more punchier down low and thus makes it easier to use in day to day traffic. Un-tuned though it does run out of puff. This is the point where the M3 just takes off.

I did a lot of research regarding re-flashing of the ECU and piggybacks. I wanted to see if I could get that bottom end punch for use in traffic and more top end like the M3. If this was possible I decided I would rather take a tuned 335i over an M3. I wasnt planning to track the car. An E92 335i M-sport handles well for my needs and I would also be saving $50K. I don't lease cars so $50K is not an insignificant saving. Another plus.

I spoke with some guys that do reflashes. My criteria was could I beat a stock M3 in a straight line with an ECU re-flash. Both guys came back and said yes I could but needed catless DP's to do so. I spoke with Adrian from Procede in detail giving him the same criteria. He agreed with the re-flahers but I would also probably need catless DP's. He also spoke to me about the Procede features that the re-flashes just simply don't have. One thing that was important to me was warranty. You can remove the Procede and take the car to the dealer for any warranty work. The re-flash is there to stay, compromising drive train warranty. I bought the Procede from Adrian right there on the spot.

Now having a 335i fitted with the Procede I can say it is a complete different car than a stock 335i. I have not fitted catless DP's due to warranty concerns. The car is seriously quick even without catless DP's. Probably quick enough for me at the moment.

Another big plus is the frequent updates you get for free from the Procede guys. Updated maps and firmware that you don't get with a re-flash or other hardware mods. You just up load these via a laptop connected to the Procede. Each update provides a noticeable +ve effect on the tune with respect to power, driveability and ease of use of each of the extra features you get with most updates.

There is no way you can get this sort of performance increase for the price, let alone one that can be frequently upgraded with new features and increased performance.

Having driven M3's I would say that an otherwise stock 335i with the Procede fitted, would be just as quick as a stock M3. I have not yet able to find an E92 M3 to have fun with and confirm this. Definitely quicker than a Lexus IS-F. A friend of mine has one and is now disappointed with his purchase after a few runs with me.

The Procede is definitely an essential mod for the N54 platform. You gain so much extra power and keep the existing driveability. It is warranty friendly with its ease of fitting and removal. I think Adrian from Vishnu/Procede still provides a 7 day trial of the unit. If you havent got one already, it won't cost you anything to confirm what I have told you here.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #39
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback. I am getting V4 installed tomorrow.

I have had a JB+ in for about a year and it provides good noticeable gains over stock, especially in bottom and mid. It is also an easy 1 min install and removal.

I decided to go to the next level up with the V4. My car is not due for service now until Q1 2012 so I hope I will not have to remove it for a while. It will also be out of warranty by then too.

I like to sound of the more stock like delivery and also the valet mode for the occasions when my wife has the car.

I will not do any further engine mod i.e. DP's etc. the only other mod I would look at is an LSD but I will see how the car goes with V4 and no LSD.

PS: I don't have a lease either - I'm sure we are a small group!

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #40
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I am getting V4 installed tomorrow.

I have had a JB+ in for about a year and it provides good noticeable gains over stock, especially in bottom and mid. It is also an easy 1 min install and removal.

I decided to go to the next level up with the V4. My car is not due for service now until Q1 2012 so I hope I will not have to remove it for a while. It will also be out of warranty by then too.

I like to sound of the more stock like delivery and also the valet mode for the occasions when my wife has the car.

I will not do any further engine mod i.e. DP's etc. the only other mod I would look at is an LSD but I will see how the car goes with V4 and no LSD.

PS: I don't have a lease either - I'm sure we are a small group!
I have not driven a car with the JB tune fitted so I can't comment on it's features or performance. I am sure you will like the Procede though.

If you are able, it is useful to watch the installation of the Procede in person. There are videos of installation and removal on the internet. If you need to remove the Procede for any reason, seeing the installation in person, can make the online videos easier to follow.

Be sure to post your impressions of the Procede after it has had a chance to do its "Autotune" thing. I take the AutoTune function for granted now. Thats what happens when you are spoilt with update after update. There has been some very clever engineering implemented to make the Procede what it is today, especially the input from downunder (you can thank Adrian for that). I am excited to see where the Procede will be and what it can do in the next 12months/2years.

A Procede tuned F10 550i may very well be an attractive alternative to the F10 M5 by then.
Appreciate 0