E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering is too loose

09-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Erider
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi

Steering is too loose

Hi all,
I've recently found that the steering in my 09 328xi has lost its characteristic "heavy" steering feel. As I've come to find some people have also had this issue but had disregarded to follow up on any corrections made to their vehicle. SO the issues I'd like to discuss go as follows:
-Loose Steering - there is a lot of play in the steering from when I originally purchased the vehicle. When I bought it was around 56k~ miles and now I am approaching 98k~ I feel as though that the feel of the road has been lost while driving on just a normal commute and really has taken away the joy of driving my car.
I haven't been able to find a really detailed description of how the steering of this vehicle works so I'm not even sure what to investigate.
some other symptoms I have experienced are when I find myself driving in a sh*t part of road is that the wheels will follow in almost a slalom of how the road is formed apart from the input I put in my steering wheel. Again it feels very loose.
I am replacing the tires on my vehicle in the coming days and plan on asking if the car could be looked at to see if it needs an alignment, oddly enough though the car can manages to stay in line as if it were aligned, maybe a slight pull to the left. Some more info that may be useful is I run 235/45/17 tires but I really doubt that has any effect on how my steering input is. (I could be wrong though)
Is it possible that this could be related to front strut replacements?
I also read about the toe of the vehicle could be throwing off the play in the wheel giving it a loose feeling and also possible lower joint assembly but I haven't seen any symptoms of that being an issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am sure I can post anymore information that may be needed to help fix this issue!
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Your struts/shocks are probably f**ked up completely at 100k.
Appreciate 1