E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Time for brake pads - trying to choose between Hawk HPS 5.0 and StopTech Sport

08-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
Time for brake pads - trying to choose between Hawk HPS 5.0 and StopTech Sport

I know there's a lot of brake pad threads out there, but hoping to get feedback from someone who has experience with both the Hawk HPS 5.0 and StopTech Sport pads.

My car is a street car with occasional screwing around on fast back roads where I can put a decent amount of heat in the pads. It has (presumably) stock pads on it, and I'm getting some squeaking and the brakes just aren't as confidence-inspiring as I'd like.

I'm planning on doing fresh rotors (I'm waffling between StopTech slotted because I think they look cool, or otherwise Pagid High Carbon), StopTech SS hoses, hi-temp fluid, and some kind of fast road pad.

On previous cars, I've run Axxis Ultimate, Hawk HP+, and EBC RedStuff pads. Of those, I was happiest with the EBC Reds, but I've seen assorted negative feedback about them where I'm hesitant to go back for another set.

The StopTech Sport pads are super cheap at $98 for a front & rear set vs $177 for the HPS 5.0.

From what I've read about both pads, it seems like the StopTech give up more initial bite compared to stock compared to the HPS 5.0. But that's mostly feedback from people comparing each performance pad to stock, and not so much to each other.

So it's another roughly 80 bucks for the HPS 5.0, which all in all isn't a huge sum of money, but I'd like to figure out if it makes sense to spend, or if the StopTech pads will also be fine. Anyone have experience with both of these pads? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

I have HPS 5.0 on my car currently. I've noticed that they dust more than the stock pads I had on previously, but they're a little more abrasive so they don't glaze the rotors and cause vibrations. The initial bite is a bit softer than stock, but after that point the performance is excellent.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
iahawkeye
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 328i e92

I've actually got stop tech slotted rotors and their street sport pads all round. I like the setup but there are a few issues that make me want to try something else just to see what is out there.

Overall they have decent bite but only if you've done a few stops already.... they definitely need a little warming up, but once warm they are fantastic. I've had them on for at least one autox day and had no issues with them at all driving my car like it's stolen.

My main issue is during street driving when the pads are warm sometimes they feel like the stick to the rotor for a split second when you start from a full stop, annoying...otherwise I like the setup quite a bit. minus the warm-up and the stickiness around town
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawkeye View Post
My main issue is during street driving when the pads are warm sometimes they feel like the stick to the rotor for a split second when you start from a full stop, annoying.
My 5.0s do the same sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
iahawkeye
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 328i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawkeye View Post
My main issue is during street driving when the pads are warm sometimes they feel like the stick to the rotor for a split second when you start from a full stop, annoying.
My 5.0s do the same sometimes.
Lame. Those are on my list to check out... oh well. There's plenty of time till my next brake job.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
I ended up buying the Pagid rotors and StopTech pads. Seems like there's not much to separate the HPS 5.0 and StopTech Sport. I also decided to skip the slotted rotors and just get a quality replacement rotor with coated hubs/vanes. Also picked up StopTech stainless lines and Wilwood EXP 600 Plus fluid. I'm sure this will be fine for my needs. Looking forward to trying them out on some back roads.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
remlemasi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335d | i3 REx

Garage List
2015 i3 REx  [0.00]
2011 BMW E90 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
I ended up buying the Pagid rotors and StopTech pads. Seems like there's not much to separate the HPS 5.0 and StopTech Sport. I also decided to skip the slotted rotors and just get a quality replacement rotor with coated hubs/vanes. Also picked up StopTech stainless lines and Wilwood EXP 600 Plus fluid. I'm sure this will be fine for my needs. Looking forward to trying them out on some back roads.
I’m debating between the two right now. Leaning towards StopTech Slotted + HPS 5.0. How do you like your setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Have you tried cool carbon pads ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I'm using R1 concepts drilled rotors F/R. Mated with Hawk HPS 5.0 all around. I absolutely love this setup.

Others have stated that the pads need a few stops to warm up, as the initial cold bite is a little light and I agree. However once they do, they grab and keep grabbing (on the street anyway). The modulation/torque is consistent all the way through to a complete stop.

I've used stoptech's Street Performance pads on my E46 in the past and while yes it's a different platform, I find the hawks to be worth the price difference from a performance perspective.

The warmed up performance of the hawks is unreal in comparison to stock. The performance of the stoptech Street performance pads is good compared to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinojosa View Post
I'm using R1 concepts drilled rotors F/R. Mated with Hawk HPS 5.0 all around. I absolutely love this setup.

Others have stated that the pads need a few stops to warm up, as the initial cold bite is a little light and I agree. However once they do, they grab and keep grabbing (on the street anyway). The modulation/torque is consistent all the way through to a complete stop.

I've used stoptech's Street Performance pads on my E46 in the past and while yes it's a different platform, I find the hawks to be worth the price difference from a performance perspective.

The warmed up performance of the hawks is unreal in comparison to stock. The performance of the stoptech Street performance pads is good compared to stock.
Which pad stopped better for you hawks or stoptech ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
In my (non-professional) opinion, the hawks stop better and more predictably. They're worth the added cost
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Never drove on Hawks, but stoptech sport sucked. Very low braking coefficient. Took a lot of heat to get them up to temp and they still had less bite than stock. I'd run stock pads over stoptech sport.

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-08-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Never drove on Hawks, but stoptech sport sucked. Very low braking coefficient. Took a lot of heat to get them up to temp and they still had less bite than stock. I'd run stock pads over stoptech sport.
Same. I've run them concurrently on a separate platform as well ('08 G35x) and the Stoptech pads throw out a ton of dust...swapped to 5.0 and it's significantly less now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Same. I've run them concurrently on a separate platform as well ('08 G35x) and the Stoptech pads throw out a ton of dust...swapped to 5.0 and it's significantly less now.
I'm currently on stoptech lads they are ok. But I'm going back to the cool carbon pads when these run low
Appreciate 0