E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Play in steering

11-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Play in steering

I'd like to know whether you guys experience the same thing with your steering and therefore whether it is normal or if something should be checked and then changed.

I have an E92 335i with 69k miles on the clock. After doing a track experience in an M4 i went back into my car on the way home and instantly noticed the difference in steering feel. M4 felt very direct whereas I can't say the same for mine.
Driving along in my car I can turn the steering wheel from the dead centre about an inch left and right without the car doing anything - move the steering fast within those distances in a straight line, does yours do the same, i.e. nothing?
Now I don't know whether due to the mileage and age of the car, what I'm experiencing is:
A) general wear and tear
B) Completely normal
C) Abnormal - things to look into?

Someone has suggested that these cars have this 'dead centre' so you can drive fast on an autobahn without having twitchy steering. Its the first I've heard of that.

All suggestions useful.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Can't say I've noticed this on mine but I will pay attention next time I use my 35i which won't be until Saturday. Turn in & steering response still feels nice & sharp on mine with 106k.
You can't really compare the steering feel of a M4 to an old 335i though. Was you happy with the steering of your 35i before driving the M4?
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:14 AM   #3
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Probably combination of two things: M4 will be razor sharp so no point in even comparing. Secondly, general wear and tear so your steering will not be the same as it was when it was new.

If it alleviates your worry, I have a very similar "dead" feel around the centre. Like you, I have driven some new high performance cars and when going back to mine, it did feel much more loose and it did worry me slightly. I even checked out the lower joint of the steering rack and it was all good and tight. Could be the tie rods are worn? Not sure. But I know it isn't something to get overly worried about!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:30 AM   #4
erttuli
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego 335i

Check the torx bolt on the lower u joint. I believe it is a e10 torx. Might help a bit. I hope I didnt strip mine badly when I used a e12 to tighten it and it was too big.. fuuk
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Can't say I've noticed this on mine but I will pay attention next time I use my 35i which won't be until Saturday. Turn in & steering response still feels nice & sharp on mine with 106k.
You can't really compare the steering feel of a M4 to an old 335i though. Was you happy with the steering of your 35i before driving the M4?
Yeah if you could that would be good, sounds like yours is very direct still even with that mileage. Have you changed anything around the steering?
I have to say I was happy with it and possibly might not have even noticed it. Unfortunately, now I'm always moving the steering wheel left and right wondering whether its something worth looking into haha -_-
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #6
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Probably combination of two things: M4 will be razor sharp so no point in even comparing. Secondly, general wear and tear so your steering will not be the same as it was when it was new.

If it alleviates your worry, I have a very similar "dead" feel around the centre. Like you, I have driven some new high performance cars and when going back to mine, it did feel much more loose and it did worry me slightly. I even checked out the lower joint of the steering rack and it was all good and tight. Could be the tie rods are worn? Not sure. But I know it isn't something to get overly worried about!
That makes me feel better about it. I know I shouldn't compare both cars but it really made me notice the difference jumping out of the M4 and going straight into mine. It may well just be normal in which case thats fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erttuli View Post
Check the torx bolt on the lower u joint. I believe it is a e10 torx. Might help a bit. I hope I didnt strip mine badly when I used a e12 to tighten it and it was too big.. fuuk
Thanks, will do. Might book it into a local indy anyway just to check if it could be anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Yeah if you could that would be good, sounds like yours is very direct still even with that mileage. Have you changed anything around the steering?
I have to say I was happy with it and possibly might not have even noticed it. Unfortunately, now I'm always moving the steering wheel left and right wondering whether its something worth looking into haha -_-
Mine doesn't seem to have any play in the steering, if I jiggle the steering wheel at low or high speed the car responds.
Mine is lowered though maybe that makes a difference, shocks & springs were replaced at 78k, new top mounts & Spring seats at 98k. Replacing the top mounts made a big difference to how my steering felt, apart from that everything else is original.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Mine doesn't seem to have any play in the steering, if I jiggle the steering wheel at low or high speed the car responds.
Mine is lowered though maybe that makes a difference, shocks & springs were replaced at 78k, new top mounts & Spring seats at 98k. Replacing the top mounts made a big difference to how my steering felt, apart from that everything else is original.
Hmm ok there is a definite difference then if you have zero play in your steering. Maybe a trip to the Indy is required to see if they can suggest anything. I haven't had anything changed since I got the car which was on about 55k miles. I think i'm on 69k now but there has been a trackday in between that but I noticed the play before so don't think it was that in particular.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

M cars have special steering rack with modified ratio to get such feeling
stock cars which ordered by spec can have active steering , in which steering rack have variable ration, on parking or slow speed it is have for example 1.5 rotation from left to right and on high speed it is have standard ratio
AD18350.50
      12-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Wear and tear, get it checked. As other have said, with electric power steering its normal to have a "dead" sport on the straight ahead. If you move your steering wheel even half an inch the car should move.
Appreciate 1
AD18350.50