E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -= 6NR ConnectedDrive Retrofit by Patrys =-

04-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #45
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Which is my point. We simply want others to follow the rules we're are expected to.

Patrys: I've never said anything ill/negative towards you directly - only the fact this thread does not belong here as it has no technical value.

For the sake of keeping forum drama to a minimum - we will end this here.
This thread belongs here same as many others that are here already.
I also gave an example of your own thread which was exactly at the same technical level!

But I appreciate we can end it here and I hope others will respect it too.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #46
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

It is very interesting information, many people have told thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #47
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
You have right to have your own opinion and I am not going to discuss it with you. I simply respect it.

All I ask you and others having similar opinion to respect our right not to post any technical details just yet.

If I say all parts are OEM this should be enough for most people to make a decision if they want to get it or not.
Also this is not a commercial thread, but its purpose is purely informative like many others in this section.
Fair enough, I look forward to the full technical details sometime in the future. In the meantime, I would appreciate confirmation that:

1. Any normal iPod dock to USB cable can be used, i.e. this doesn't require a cable with custom pin mappings between the dock connector and the USB port (since that cable isn't a BMW part, I thought you might use something like this and still be able to claim 100% BMW parts are being used).

2. There is no splicing or tapping of wires required, or any other arguably destructive procedure.

3. The 100% OEM parts being used are 100% unmodified except for software reconfiguration, i.e. not physically reconfigured, rewired, or otherwise taken apart or altered into some different configuration.

Last edited by jphughan; 04-11-2011 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #48
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

BMW doesn't allow older than 3/11 build dates. Can you do this on the older gen i-drive systems as well? 02/07 build dates?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #49
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxis View Post
BMW doesn't allow older than 3/11 build dates. Can you do this on the older gen i-drive systems as well? 02/07 build dates?
ALL YEARS

ONLY It is necessary

The 6NR option requires the following hardware components:
- CIC
- Combox
- 6FL

or

- CIC
- Combox
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #50
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Fair enough, I look forward to the full technical details sometime in the future. In the meantime, I would appreciate confirmation that:

1. Any normal iPod dock to USB cable can be used, i.e. this doesn't require a cable with custom pin mappings between the dock connector and the USB port (since that cable isn't a BMW part, I thought you might use something like this and still be able to claim 100% BMW parts are being used).

2. There is no splicing or tapping of wires required, or any other arguably destructive procedure.

3. The 100% OEM parts being used are 100% unmodified except for software reconfiguration, i.e. not physically reconfigured, rewired, or otherwise taken apart or altered into some different configuration.
Good luck getting full technical details, i really dont get you broh. Patryk has done over 100 CIC retrofits, search his name for testimonials. He said OEM and thats all we/you need to know. Search for CIC retrofit and you'll see he's big on doing everything OEM. Ive done the CIC, COMBOX and 6FL retrofits and i assure you all parts he used were OEM!!!!

You should be glad he found a way to make the plugin function avalable before the snap-in adapter get released in the summer, that in itself is a big accomplishment that we all should be thankful for. Not only his kit is available now, its also significant cheaper.

Saw that you been posting a lot on the Coding forum, i guess you want info so you can share it with your buddies, sh8t you still dont even have your M3 If i was Patryk i would ignore all your posts and wouldn't even sell you the kit even if you paid more than his asking price. He doesn't need your business.

Last edited by nelson29; 04-11-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #51
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson29 View Post
Good luck getting full technical details, i really dont get you broh. Patryk has done over 100 CIC retrofits, search his name for testimonials. He said OEM and thats all we/you need to know. Search for CIC retrofit and you'll see he's big on doing everything OEM. Ive done the CIC, COMBOX and 6FL retrofits and i assure you all parts he used were OEM!!!!

You should be glad he found a way to make the plugin function avalable before the snap-in adapter get released in the summer, that in itself is a big accomplishment that we all should be thankful for. Not only his kit is available now, its also significant cheaper.

Saw that you been posting a lot on the Coding forum, i guess you want info so you can share it with your buddies, sh8t you still dont even have your M3 If i was Patryk i would ignore all your posts and wouldn't even sell you the kit even if you paid more than his asking price. He doesn't need your business.
You're right -- I don't yet have my M3 (I'll have it in 2 weeks), my M3 has 6NR included, and I've already got the Media cradle on order. I'm not questioning Patrys' reputation at all, I'm personally just curious about the details -- though I think for others they might make the difference between sale and no sale. For example, 100% OEM in my mind doesn't mean 100% unmodified OEM, which I think some would find important.

I don't really have any interest in sharing the details of Patrys' implementation with others, but then again if Patrys were willing to give them as he seems to be at some point in the future, that wouldn't be necessary since they'd now already be on a public forum anyway. I asked for details purely out of technical curiosity because I like cars and work in IT, so car technology brings two of my interests together. Is it so terrible to be purely curious about how something works on a forum anymore?? If Patrys doesn't want to share details at least at this time, then that's his privilege, but you're making it sound like it's not even right/allowed to ask -- especially in the TECHNICAL section of the forum -- "broh".

Last edited by jphughan; 04-12-2011 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #52
Alpina_Matt
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B5s

Hi Patryk,

I've just a few question to clarify concerning the 6NR retrofit.

1.) Does it work in E60/E61?
2.) Does it provide full 6NR functionality like Video out, BMW Apps and Plug-in?
3.) Is the only downside - compared to the upcomming Video snap-in - that there is no connection to the external antenna. All other functions are maintained?

Thanks for your answers.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #53
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_Matt View Post
Hi Patryk,

I've just a few question to clarify concerning the 6NR retrofit.

1.) Does it work in E60/E61?
2.) Does it provide full 6NR functionality like Video out, BMW Apps and Plug-in?
3.) Is the only downside - compared to the upcomming Video snap-in - that there is no connection to the external antenna. All other functions are maintained?

Thanks for your answers.
Matt
Hi Matt

1.No love for the E6x
2.Yes, everything works fine - BMW Apps, Plugin and Video - all tested and presented on the pictures in this thread by MEN and myself
3.I guess the antenna connection is the only difference, but if you have the USB cable connection you do not have to keep the phone in the armrest all the time Oh you will not have the AUX either, but if you have iPhone4 the audio goes over USB anyway...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #54
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Hi Matt

2.Yes, everything works fine - BMW Apps, Plugin and Video - all tested and presented on the pictures in this thread by MEN and myself
I thought I read BMW Assist in disabled with this mod?
      04-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #55
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I thought I read BMW Assist in disabled with this mod?

The Assist will work fine if you have the Combox in your car (if the car was produced from 09/2010)

If you do not have the Combox and would like to have the 6NR then indeed you will lose BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #56
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:

Personally, I don't see Patrys providing full technical details anytime soon. As long as he is selling the upgrades why would he. I find it interesting that he completely ignored your post but provided the details for Matt below.

Quote:
Hi Matt

1.No love for the E6x
3.I guess the antenna connection is the only difference, but if you have the USB cable connection you do not have to keep the phone in the armrest all the time Oh you will not have the AUX either, but if you have iPhone4 the audio goes over USB anyway...
With the last comment "Oh you will not have the AUX either", it seems to me that these are NOT 100% unmodified OEM parts. As far as I know the true 6NR option retains the Aux input, but I could be wrong since I don't have it. If you have an iPhone it doesn't matter unless you have an iPhone and another MP3 player that you use for long trips.

I could be wrong but answering the three questions above, asked by jphughan, shouldn't "give away" any secrets but would put this modification concern to rest once and for all.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #57
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Personally, I don't see Patrys providing full technical details anytime soon. As long as he is selling the upgrades why would he. I find it interesting that he completely ignored your post but provided the details for Matt below.

With the last comment "Oh you will not have the AUX either", it seems to me that these are NOT 100% unmodified OEM parts. As far as I know the true 6NR option retains the Aux input, but I could be wrong since I don't have it. If you have an iPhone it doesn't matter unless you have an iPhone and another MP3 player that you use for long trips.

I could be wrong but answering the three questions above, asked by jphughan, shouldn't "give away" any secrets but would put this modification concern to rest once and for all.
Two different chassis, two different answers.

The E60 was never intended/designed to have the Combox so there are particular hardware and software differences in that particular chassis that make some the OEM parts -regardless if they are modified or not- simply not to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #58
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
You will be surprised how OEM they are
Just wait a bit and you will see some first reviews...

The BMW implementation of the 6NR includes the new base plate and snap-in adapter, but we found a way to enable all 6NR features without those parts using different OEM parts

Keep in mind that to install new base plate and snap-in adapter in cars that did not get the new base plate from factory you will have to add/change some wiring too.
People who think they can just add new snap-in adapter to their old base plate will be disappointed to see it's not that easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #59
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Two different chassis, two different answers.

The E60 was never intended/designed to have the Combox so there are particular hardware and software differences in that particular chassis that make some the OEM parts -regardless if they are modified or not- simply not to work.
Oops! My mistake. I should have read that a little closer.

Quote:
You will be surprised how OEM they are
Just wait a bit and you will see some first reviews...

The BMW implementation of the 6NR includes the new base plate and snap-in adapter, but we found a way to enable all 6NR features without those parts using different OEM parts

Keep in mind that to install new base plate and snap-in adapter in cars that did not get the new base plate from factory you will have to add/change some wiring too.
People who think they can just add new snap-in adapter to their old base plate will be disappointed to see it's not that easy.
OK, thanks. I will wait and see. My main concern is really listed in the three questions above (even though I didn't write them). I don't mind plug and play replacement of OEM parts but splicing, tapping into or reconfiguring OEM cabling to something that isn't OEM, would be an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #60
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't mind plug and play replacement of OEM parts but splicing, tapping into or reconfiguring OEM cabling to something that isn't OEM, would be an issue for me.
Agreed. The reason I wrote those questions is because I thought of one potential way this could be working that would fit Patrys' description but would concern me if it were my car. From what I can tell, PlugIn and video playback is an actual video out signal rather than raw data decoded by the car and therefore requires access to the iPhone's video out pin (Pin 8). That pin isn't connected in standard dock-to-USB cables, which only tap Pins 16, 23, 25, and 27 and map to USB Pins 4, 1, 2, and 3, respectively. However, one way I could see to make this work would be to use a custom dock-to-USB cable (or a standard cable with adapter) that redirected the USB port's ground pin (Pin 4) to the iPhone's Pin 8 rather than Pin 16 where it normally goes, turning the USB port's ground pin into a video pin instead. Some rewiring and coding could make the USB port in the center console appear to the car from a hardware and software standpoint as 6NF (smartphone cradle) rather than 6FL (standard iPod USB port), and of course the USB port's ground pin would be redirected to the video input pin in the car rather than the ground pin. In fact that's probably why in Patrys' pics of how this works, the iPhone shows up next to the smartphone cradle icon rather than the USB icon even though he's demoing these features over a USB connection.

That would get you video signalling over a USB port which wouldn't be possible otherwise and would meet the 100% OEM parts criteria, but of course it would mean your dock-to-USB cable or adapter wouldn't be easily replaceable if it were broken or lost and would also leave your iPhone electrically ungrounded (Apple's spec for this requires a ground pin for USB and another for the video tap), not to mention resulting in a bit of a "frankenbuild". It might also explain why this process breaks AUX input since the car would not appear to have 6FL anymore -- I believe AUX input is part of 6FL even after the 2011.5 changes and therefore might be rendered unusable from the coding required to remove 6FL so the car wouldn't throw errors that it's now missing. I'm not sure why this would also break BMW Assist in non-Combox cars, but that could be the result of custom iDrive software being installed rather than the hardware mods.

But of course this is all speculation on my part.

Last edited by jphughan; 06-25-2011 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #61
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

It's impossible to retrofit the 6nr without COMBOX. You need to have the combox installed to retrofit 6nr, no way around it. Now if you need to retrofit it(cars produced before 09/10) you will lose Assist. I'm pretty sure you can figure out why.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #62
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. The reason I wrote those questions is because I thought of one potential way this could be working that would fit Patrys' description but would concern me if it were my car. From what I can tell, PlugIn and video playback is an actual video out signal rather than raw data decoded by the car and therefore requires access to the iPhone's video out pin (Pin 8). That pin isn't connected in standard dock-to-USB cables, which only tap Pins 16, 23, 25, and 27 and map to USB Pins 4, 1, 2, and 3, respectively. However, one way I could see to make this work would be to use a custom dock-to-USB cable (or a standard cable with adapter) that redirected the USB port's ground pin (Pin 4) to the iPhone's Pin 8 rather than Pin 16 where it normally goes, turning the USB port's ground pin into a video pin instead. Some rewiring and coding could make the USB port in the center console appear to the car from a hardware and software standpoint as 6NF (smartphone cradle) rather than 6FL (standard iPod USB port), and of course the USB port's ground pin would be redirected to the video input pin in the car rather than the ground pin.

That would get you video signalling over a USB port which wouldn't be possible otherwise and would meet the 100% OEM parts criteria, but of course it would mean your dock-to-USB cable or adapter wouldn't be easily replaceable if it were broken or lost and would also leave your iPhone electrically ungrounded (Apple's spec for this requires a ground pin for USB and another for the video tap), not to mention resulting in a bit of a "frankenbuild". It might also explain why this process breaks AUX input since the car would not appear to have 6FL anymore -- I believe AUX input is part of 6FL even after the 2011.5 changes and therefore might be rendered unusable from the coding required to remove 6FL so the car wouldn't throw errors that it's now missing. I'm not sure why this would also break BMW Assist in non-Combox cars, but that could be the result of custom iDrive software being installed rather than the hardware mods.

But of course this is all speculation on my part.
Ble ble ble...

No splicing or tapping into OEM wiring Sherlock Holmes
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #63
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

New BMW apps use iPod out function, and I think it uses USB data wires which makes patry's retrofit work. Btw no 6NR retrofit for F10 right, patry?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #64
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
New BMW apps use iPod out function, and I think it uses USB data wires which makes patry's retrofit work. Btw no 6NR retrofit for F10 right, patry?
The F-series cars are built on a different platform than all E-series vehicles and although I have an idea how to do it and have capabilities I have not had time to include it in my offer.

I am sure it's just a matter of time...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #65
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
BMW Apps doesn't use iPod out -- iPod out is one part of the BMW Apps option. While some parts of BMW apps (Internat radio, the BMW Connected app, etc) are a data signal, iPod out and video playback aren't -- if they were then BMW could have enabled it over USB from the factory. It's a video signal generated and rendered by the iPhone itself, not a USB signal decoded by iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #66
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ble ble ble...

No splicing or tapping into OEM wiring Sherlock Holmes
Ok.... not sure what the laugh and smile emoticons were. Nothing in my speculation involved a splice or a tap into an OEM wire, just moving them around. But if what I suggested is essentially what you're doing then if it were my car I'd be worried about the 2 missing ground connections and the proprietary dock-to-USB cable or adapter. And since you haven't answered the other two questions from my earlier post even though you just answered one of them I'm inclined to think that the reason is because the solution does indeed involve something like what I suggested.

Last edited by jphughan; 04-13-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0