E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Is it worth remapping?

04-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #1
E30 sam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 330d M sport

Is it worth remapping?

I've just booked my car into a local Independent garage (Beverley motor works) for a full service and they mentioned a remap. They have teamed up with BHP-UK if anyone has heard of them?

I'm just wondering is it worth doing? I'm a little worried about the reliability as my car has done 84k and my old E46 was remapped and the turbo let go at 110k.

My car is a 320d M sport, think it is currently 163bhp.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
joeyt
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

The 2.0d engine isnt the strongest of the lot tbh. It will make the car more drivable but I always wonder about the 2.0d.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Can't say anything about the 2.0.
But my old E46 330d was ramapped almost al 542.000km I drove in it. The turbo gave up at 302.000 which is normal. An new turbo in it and it ran another 240.000km with a remap :-)

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Just do it

Im on 84k on my 163bhp 320d
If i had the funds id map it as its a slug!

Just keep oil changes to 10k and you should be fine

Dont worry about it too much. If it happens then worry about it
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
timp7748
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 335d Sport

Yes its worth it. My 320d LCI was remapped and it was a beast!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

The 320d responds well I think Beverley Motor Works maybe an Autologic dealer if they are remapping using the Autologic kit the re map will be safe but there's better out there hence the BHP tie up. Thing is you say your cars a slug, is it a slug because it's currently not performing at its best or is there something wrong?

At 84k or less in fact these cars can draw big deep breaths from your bank balance, we re map and I'm sure Beverley will do the same but I'd want to know the cars in fine health before opening pandora so box of tricks. We'd check that all the values are up to spec we'd also want to look at the breather with a re map we always advise a new/higher flow filter as more air=more potential on the inlet side we'd check under the manifold for leaks from the swirl flap area(if these are in place get them out before the re map takes place) going back to values these if done correctly will tell you about the cars fuelling system to let you know it's OK but one thing we are seeing a bit is the failure of the cars pressure converter(sits under the inlet manifold)and it's easy to spot when plugged in and vacuum hoses all straightforward to verify condition.

On a full service you'll be doing oil,air,pollen and fuel should do a full diagnostic check for you, which will reveal the state of the car.

A 320d will respond nicely to a re map good 30+Bhp with ease along with 70nM torque but you e got to start with a fit candidate I the first place to make it worthwhile and a lot of places re map a sick puppy as it's easy money.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

If the car is in good health, clutch is good, turbo is good, not using any oil or coolant, then yeah remap it. A dyno run before remap would tell you how the engine is running. I'd only get a live map done on a dyno, not one where they just fiddle with some peramiters or download a map for the engine. It's more expensive but tailor made to your car, and you get a before and after dyno print out.

With any remap I'd be wary of lumping too much extra torque in straight away, as it will strain the clutch more, smooth power delivery is most important, and torque through the rev range/power in the usable area is far more important than peak figures which are basically meaningless. See a lot of cheap remaps that initially seem good but just ruin the actual drivability when you aren't interested in 'how much mad BHP the map gave me'.

Also basically no map will improve your MPG, it's a myth, you might get a negligible increase, but it will most likely drop.

Remapping puts more strain on everything it effects, thus decreasing it's usable life. However don't let that put you off as the decrease may still be 10+ years of use, it will just definitely be less than when standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
E30 sam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 330d M sport

Thanks for the responses.

My car is in good health I think, it uses a litre of oil every 6-8k but neve uses any water. The only other thing is after sitting at 1600-1800 for a while and I go to put my foot down it has a flat spot at times. I hoping the service and more importantly a fuel filter change will stop that.

I've owned the car since August and done 14k miles trouble free.

In regards to the map they said they'll do a full diagnostic check to make sure there are no hidden faults then flash it and then send it off to BHP-UK who do a specific map for the car rather than a generic map.

The at isn't in for it's service untill the end of the month so I've got a bit of time to decide.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

There can't be a specific map for the car unless it's done whilst the car is going up and down the rev range, different throttle positions etc.

1L every 6k would worry me. Mines on 172k and it doesn't use any oil basically. Considering that would be almost 3L before BMW recommend getting the oil changed (however I'd do it every 10k not 20k)

Mine also has the occasional flat spot, fairly sure it's part of the map to make it easier to drive, but when you're in the flat spot and put your foot down you notice it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

I also use zero oil whatsoever.

Well we all know cars use some oil but between 10k oil changes i haven't had to top it up so oil useage is minimum

I also get the flat spot. Generally a blip in power for a millisecond then its back. Happens at random occassions can be thousands of miles inbetween. Must be a trait
Appreciate 0