E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil leak and burning smell

04-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
J.P
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i

Exclamation Oil leak and burning smell

Hello guys,

My E92 is leaking oil. I had my oil change at 36,918 and now its 45,000 miles. The oil level reads a little above the min point. No dash lights.

Recently I have been smelling a burning of oil whenever I open my windows. I also had a coolant indicator light come on a while ago and I capped that off. My mechanic did not find a leak through a pressure test.

Here is what I think it is:

1. Oil filter cap and o-ring gasket. I found oil on the sides of oil cap, i wiped it away as seen in the pictures. You could see my underside of the roof has oil right where it sits on the oil filter. I had my oil change done at Tireplus and they obviously didnt use OEM oil filter and o-ring. So maybe I should replace the oil filter with OEM(on the way)

2. Oil filter housing gasket- this and below is what I fear. It seems like the oil extends to the gasket lining and further done as seen in the pictures.

3. valve/head gasket- what i fear the most. I read in different thread that if the head gasket goes, and you see decreasing coolant, it could be the gasket leaking and mixing both the oil and coolant and burning it off.

i am planning to go see my mechanic soon but I want to get a good idea of what Im looking at right now.
Pictures below:
[IMG][/IMG]

Again help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
inrev`
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i m sport

First add oil to the required level before testing #1.

Buy a man filter (816x I think, it's on amazon for less than ten bucks). Before replacing the current filter with the mann filter + o rings, turn on engine and watch your oil cap (make sure you have a towel wrapped around the area). If oil starts to gush out, turn off engine immidiately and clean up the area. Change out the filter and oil rings with the mann products and you should be good to go.

If this doesn't fix your issue, move on to #2 and #3 lol. GL! (My understanding of the OHFG is that it should drip downward in a stream, not explode all over like shown in your pics)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

BMW rule #1 - Never let anyone but a trained BMW mechanic work on a BMW regardless if it is a difficult as a new clutch or as simple as an oil change.

BMW rule #2 - Never take your car to such places as "tireplus", "jiffylube", or "Bubba's Butt-Hole Garage" for an oil change (see rule #1 above).

BMW rule #3 - Always use OE or OEM BMW parts.

Seroiusly, I suggest getting another oil change at a BMW shop. You have no idea what oil was used, what filter was used, or even if they put the correct amount of oil in the engine. To have oil spray onto the hood like that seems totally f'd to me; that should never happen (unless they started the engine without the oil filter housing cap on, or very, very lose).

Chalk the cost of the tireplus oil change to breaking the rules.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Pretty much sums it up. Never go to generic places. Open cap a little to see if oring is there, put back, clean up, start engine see any visible oil shooting out. This is not a leak, but something more like oil gushing or erupting.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Ofhg is leaking a lot here. It also produces burn smells
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
J.P
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG View Post
Inspect your exhaust to see if a plastic bag has gotten stuck to it and is melting. Oil burning smell from the engine usually comes in through the vents and not so much when you have windows open. The only item that really leaks onto the exhaust is the valve cover so inspect that with a flash light and a small inspection mirror. I doubt you have any head gasket issues.
There is no smell coming in from the vents. I smell it only when the windows are down. I'll take a look, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
BMW rule #1 - Never let anyone but a trained BMW mechanic work on a BMW regardless if it is a difficult as a new clutch or as simple as an oil change.

BMW rule #2 - Never take your car to such places as "tireplus", "jiffylube", or "Bubba's Butt-Hole Garage" for an oil change (see rule #1 above).

BMW rule #3 - Always use OE or OEM BMW parts.

Seroiusly, I suggest getting another oil change at a BMW shop. You have no idea what oil was used, what filter was used, or even if they put the correct amount of oil in the engine. To have oil spray onto the hood like that seems totally f'd to me; that should never happen (unless they started the engine without the oil filter housing cap on, or very, very lose).

Chalk the cost of the tireplus oil change to breaking the rules.
Duly noted on 1,2, and 3 lol. yeah they did use BMW approved oil but I think they may have overfilled it (they put in 6.9 quarts). Also I think the the filter cap is over torqued a bit (green line doesn't match). Sigh, thanks foy your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

dont mind the green line, its not related to torque, its something related a quality assurance check.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinko View Post
dont mind the green line, its not related to torque, its something related a quality assurance check.
+1
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0