E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Catless DP's and Smog Inspection Today...PASSED..here's how!!

01-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Catless DP's and Smog Inspection Today...PASSED..here's how!!

I've been a nervous wreck in the last week because smog inspection time was coming near and I have many mods on my car. One of these is Catless Downpipes (DP's).

I did a lot of research trying to find out how to pass and everyone just kept saying to find someone I know and to have them pass me, otherwise there is no way. Well I passed without paying off anyone.

Do bear in mind that I have the Riss Racing electronic O2 sims installed in the ECU (you DO need those)

First I erased all codes with the BT tool and i disconnected and reconnected the battery to make sure everything is wiped off as far as codes are conserned. If you don't have a BT tool just do the battery and it does the same thing as far as emission codes are concerned.

I went to have a smog inspection right away just to see what would happen and it was: REJECTED. They told me there was not sufficient data on the computer for their OBD scanner to read. They recommended driving around for a few days and going back, so thats what I did.

I put 250 miles on the car over 3 days just doing my regular everyday driving to and from work, etc.

Day of the test I went out and drove for 1 hour to make sure the engine was nice and warm. Then went to inspection and BOOM BOOM PAW, I PASSED.

Again, i don't know if i would have passed WITHOUT the O2 sims. Use this info at your own risk.

Anyone out there with catless DP's pass without o2 sims?
      01-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

P.S.

For those with JB3's, I made sure to drive around on MAP 0 the whole time because I am not sure if different maps could affect air/fuel ratio. Make sure you drive on stock/valet mode (MAP 0) for those 3 days before the smog inspection. Anyone know otherwise, it'd be great to know.

I hated being on MAP 0 for 3 days. So many good races I missed on the street
      01-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

are you completely catless or still have secondary?

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

still have secondary. They did not do visual or tailpipe smog test. It was strictly OBD test
      01-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

what year is your car though? i still have like 2 more years left...

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

its an 07 but here in nevada we have to have an inspection every year and they make you pay $1000 every year to register your car for the year. pisses me off. when i was in NY, it was so cheap. $50 per year or so to renew registration. i think its because there are no state taxes in nevada.