E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Driving your BMW across the border...

08-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #23
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

its a norm for me... crossing over i expect a million questions...

back to canada is always a breeze for me... for some reason they've been suspecting someone who looks like me since i was 17 :/... last time i asked for a picture of what this guy looks like and they said they can't disclose that information to me lol...

my last time going over was maybe about a week ago just for the hell of it as i was at the falls with the gf... at the us boarder it was a lot more than i've had before maybe cause i've upgraded my car since last time lol....

questions:
what's your occupation - IT manager
where do you live - toronto
is this your car - yes
how old are you - 23
how did you afford this car if your 23...? - is this really relevant.. lol thats when they got a little upset... still crossed over but lot more questions... occupation was a new one for me
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #24
summall
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

I drove down with my C250 a few times. Always the standard que. Noth unusual coz of the car I am in. Only time I got que was the time when they found 2 boxes of tiles in my trunk during a winter trip. I told them I left them there for extra traction since I did not have 4matic in my last Mercedes. The agent simply said OK and asked me to drive carefully.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
CanadianM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW e92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [9.00]
I live near Washington State border as well. When I first received my Nexus pass I got asked the three same questions when I crossed the border to the US for gas the first few times (I go once a week or so) :

1. Where do you live?
2. What do you do for work?
3. Is this your vehicle?

About a month or two after (so that's about 4 - 8 crossings), I don't get asked any questions anymore, or very rarely they do, when I cross the border in to the US. Once I pull up, they just say "Thank you". It's probably because with Nexus they have a pretty good idea of the amount of time I spend in the US; which is an average of only 5 to 10 mins (since I'm only putting gasoline in my car the heading off to work). It could also be of my attitude. I'm a very unassuming guy
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
I live right next to the Washington State border. I cross at least once a week for cheap gas or to pickup car parts ordered online. never once have i been checked. Keep eye contact (remove sunglasses if you are wearing them), speak clearly, concisely and don't stutter or mumble and tell the truth, even if it is to get a KFC double down lol!
Agree with above, your attitude is key. Even if I don't have my glasses on in the line, I put them on a couple cars away so the customs agent can see me taking them off to speak to him.

I haven't had a problem crossing since I got rid of my 74 beetle back in 1988.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
I find it more of a chore with Nexus at the border when driving. They seem more suspicious and ask me more questions.

They usually ask if I am carrying $10,000 or more on me. Last time I drove over at the Peace Bridge to NY, he asked if I had over $1000... caught me off guard. I stumbled then said yes. He asked how much, I told him. He asked more questions about my trip. Just a pain I find versus the usual crossing booth.

I find the only value is at the airport to avoid the line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh335xi View Post
Get a Nexus card and you'll never be bothered again, and much quicker crossing.