E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MP3 problem

01-15-2007, 01:32 AM   #23
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Question

tried burning again with Nero and settings from this forum... still same result, doesn't show last folder at all and from the one before last (7th) shows only one album and in that album only 2 songs.
looks like there is an issue with "how much" in terms of either size in GB or "how many" folders and/or tracks the iDrive can read from a DVD.
anyone encountered similar issue???
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 01:35 AM   #24
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
looking at the size it can read my assumption is that my (any other?) iDrive has issue with accessing second layer of a two layer DVD...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 04:49 AM   #25
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek
looking at the size it can read my assumption is that my (any other?) iDrive has issue with accessing second layer of a two layer DVD...
From memory, my first Double layer DVD had something like 2,200 Tracks on, about 200 Artists ( and thus folders ) and Ocupied 8Gb. Currently I cannot verify exact stats as another kind forum member has it to test it for themselves... maybe they could verify the exact stats...

My iTunes conversion ( 70Gb) over from AAC to mp3 is going slowly.... my original estimate of 7 days maybe out due to everytime it finds a slightly glitched track or a track that reqs authorisation it just stops, and as I am not monitoring it 24/7, this means I only notice say 5 or 6 hours later wasting tons of time. Still it is slowly getting there... it is up to E..... only 21 to go... So it will be a little time yet before I can verify for myself.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #26
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Could also be that it hits a filename of a certain length or a filename with a character that it does not like and it just stops scanning the directory structure any further.

I have not done any test, but the DVD drive does not seem to like for instance the Microsoft Joliet extension for Navigation DVDs. So you might try burning a DVD with the filesystem set to ISO9660, file length set to ISO Level 2 (max 31 chars) and the character set to ISO 9660.

Again this is just a guess. For all I know it indeed does not like DL (Dual Layer) media.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #27
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Dave
and were you able to see/play all songs on that DVD? I don't have a problem with playing anything above it, but than based on seomthing the iDrive just doesn't show the rest of folders and songs...
would really like to know why...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #28
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek
Dave
and were you able to see/play all songs on that DVD? I don't have a problem with playing anything above it, but than based on seomthing the iDrive just doesn't show the rest of folders and songs...
would really like to know why...
For the short time I had it, it worked perfectly... ALL Artists/ songs etc scrollable.... Hundreds... all playable... I am sure my friend will pickup and be able to answer more definitevly.

Dave
P.S. Just ggot home... now on H.. yawn!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #29
Scottie
Scottie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Dse E90

MP3 Problem

Hi guys from UK

I have just joined the forum after looking around at various posts

Thought I might help on the IDrive controller issue being discussed.

I have just had the CIP updated on my E90 - BEFORE Version 23 MP3 functionality worked from 09 2005 build onwards with NO issues on scrolling - ie resistance after the initial screen

Now after updating to 24.2 the resistance is there and is quite strong.

Same thing happens on telephone scoll listing and that is a bigger pain

BMW are aware this is an issue and have undertaken to issue a fix during the next cip update to Version 25 which is due here in Europe in March

The other issue which Version 24.2 makes is that the firmware on the DVD navigation drive is "updated" also - means it won't read copied discs - only originals

If anyone has a way around this I would be glad to know !

My guess would be that this is a deliberate move by BMW to avoid copying - The NAV discs are around GBP 200 here + taxes

I know they are also trying in future to limit the disc to be played only on one specific car and making you validate and authenticate the software

I was told also that the next version 25 will likely be able to read from USB stick or some such device - Wait till we see the new 5 series I guess

Hope that helps from a newcomer

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #30
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Hi guys from UK

I have just joined the forum after looking around at various posts

Thought I might help on the IDrive controller issue being discussed.

I have just had the CIP updated on my E90 - BEFORE Version 23 MP3 functionality worked from 09 2005 build onwards with NO issues on scrolling - ie resistance after the initial screen

Now after updating to 24.2 the resistance is there and is quite strong.

Same thing happens on telephone scoll listing and that is a bigger pain

BMW are aware this is an issue and have undertaken to issue a fix during the next cip update to Version 25 which is due here in Europe in March

The other issue which Version 24.2 makes is that the firmware on the DVD navigation drive is "updated" also - means it won't read copied discs - only originals

If anyone has a way around this I would be glad to know !

My guess would be that this is a deliberate move by BMW to avoid copying - The NAV discs are around GBP 200 here + taxes

I know they are also trying in future to limit the disc to be played only on one specific car and making you validate and authenticate the software

I was told also that the next version 25 will likely be able to read from USB stick or some such device - Wait till we see the new 5 series I guess

Hope that helps from a newcomer

A few comments on your comments...

My car has just come back from being updated to Progman 24 a week ago.

I found the resistance a little bit harder than 22.... BUT there was always resistance after the first 5 tracks.

Regarding the not reading copied discs... I have a copied disk in my car and it is reading it fine with no issues... That said it had already read the copied disk before the upgrade... so now I am concerned about the future..

I will await other UK user views...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #31
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft View Post
A few comments on your comments...

My car has just come back from being updated to Progman 24 a week ago.

I found the resistance a little bit harder than 22.... BUT there was always resistance after the first 5 tracks.

Regarding the not reading copied discs... I have a copied disk in my car and it is reading it fine with no issues... That said it had already read the copied disk before the upgrade... so now I am concerned about the future..

I will await other UK user views...
Sorry to go off topic, but...

My view is that BMW & Navteq are simply taking the f***ing p*ss, regarding SatNav updates.

They charge a relatively large amount for software, which, in my opinion, is worse than the likes of the combined hardware & software of the cheaper TomTom One, in terms of user friendliness.

The incorporation of the USB flashdrive-reading software & hardware (retrofittable I expect) is welcome, as it will allow for a far bigger audience for portable music.

It's just a shame we'll be unlikely to use the device to update the satnav map data with our own, easily editable POIs & addressbook info.

Viv

Appreciate 0