E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Emission Test With JB4

11-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
09BMW335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
Emission Test With JB4

So installed the DPfix and turned the Jb4 to map 0, drove around 50 miles went to get tested, failed!!! ok maybe not enough miles went drove another 50 miles came back still failed.

Cats not ready, evap system not ready.... ok went drove home. Went back in reset the sensors and noticed that i had clear codes still on; should that not be disabled when Map 0 is set? anyway ok i figured rookie error, first time having to try to do this.

So now i get a 2A22 CODE. not a lot on it. so the question is because code clear was still on is that why the OBD2 was not ready and if so this 2A22 fault will this cause me to fail the test again? do i clear it before i go in? or not worry about it? how long should it take for the Evap and DPfix to work and reset 1-2 days?

thanks in advance
09 335i Sport --MHD (Tune by Wedge )--Inlet System by Trueform Technologies --Tial BOV--Macht Schnell Catless Downpipes--AMS FMIC--Walbro 455 LPFP--HPF Gen2 Exhaust--SPEC Stage 3+ clutch / billet steel flywheel--
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

It looks like 2A22 does not trigger a SES light so you won't fail because of it.
Every time you clear codes ODBII readiness is reset so don't clear codes.
I haven't used DBFix but if you're not throwing other codes than the 2A22 after 50 miles I suspect it's working and you just need to drive some more.
You can pass with one monitor not ready which is what I did but getting the EVAP ready takes some work.
To get the EVAP ready you have to do several cycles (at least 2 because it performs the check every other cycle) of cold start-idle for 3 min-drive for over 20 min-stop and idle for 5 min-shutdown-let sit for 45 min.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
I usually drive around for a few days on Map0, have never failed an emissions test.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Rhynoboiler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Passing Readiness for Dummies (like me)

Hello All,

I know this topic has been beat to death on a number of forums, but I wanted to throw in my experience in the event that it helps someone down the road.

For the record:

My vehicle is a 2011 335is 6spd (N54), full bolt on with a JB4 (G5 ISO) and the PUMP BEF.

I used the following procedure to successfully pass readiness in one try. This is not intended to be a fully comprehensive DIY. Some of my steps have a number of sub-steps in order to accomplish them. If there's an interest, I will post those sub-steps as well.

This post is intended only for academic, lab-based research, or for killing time at home when you're bored.

Stage 1: Hardware & Software Prep

1. Use MHD to flash your car (DME) back to stock.

2. Set your JB4 to "Stock Flash" mode (menu 4 / 3)

3. Turn off your JB4 (Map 0) and ensure auto code clearing is off (menu 1 / 0)

4. Unplug your battery, and gain access to your DME (and JB4)

5. Install your chosen brand of "bolt-on-fun" fixing device (VRSF, BMS, etc.).
- I set mine to 5:30 (with the wires facing away from you).

6. Cover up your DME & reconnect the battery.

Stage 2: Drive Cycles

1. Begin this process at least 2 days before checking your readiness.

2. Follow these very important rules, from the moment you start your engine, until the moment you turn it off:
- DO NOT exceed 60 mph
- DO NOT exceed 3000 rpm
- DO NOT accelerate aggressively or make big changes to your throttle input
- DO NOT worry about hitting the phases in any particular sequence
- DO NOT fall outside the speed range for each phase
- DO (are you paying attention?) use a timer to track your progress & restart it if you fall outside the phase' speed range.
- DO use cruise control when possible

3. Meet the criteria for each of the following phases at least twice (to be safe)
- Phase 1: Cold start and idle for 3 minutes (this must be a true cold start)
- Phase 2: Maintain a speed of 20 - 30 mph for 4 minutes (try setting cruise control while entering the on-ramp of a highway and drive in the emergency lane until the timer runs out)
- Phase 3: Maintain a speed of 40 - 60 mph for 15 minutes (highways are good)
- Phase 4: Find a safe place to stop, and idle the car for 5 minutes

4. Complete this process right before testing your car and DO NOT turn the engine off until you pass your tests.

5. Pass Go, collect $200, and do a silent dance.

Stage 3: Go back to living your best boosted life

1. Do the reverse of your prep stages

2. Hold down the DTC button for at least 5 seconds

3. Light up those OEM run-flats

~ The end
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50