E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Shift Sector Single Turbo Vids?

11-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #309
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Maybe you missed the data they posted? The OEM pump would drop low pressure to 45psi at peak HP. The Walbro holds it at 70psi to peak HP. The siphons, fuel level sender, etc, are all the same as stock. The same amount of fluid is used to run the passenger and drive side siphon as stock as the venturi jet is unchanged and the pressure (which is regulated by the regulator) is unchanged.

Mike
<3
      11-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #310
OECMG
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
The fuel system on the 335 is just that; a system. Any upgrade must be integrated with the other components in the fuel system before it can be considered a true upgrade.
I just noticed many of your posts are about Vishnu, are you an employee there? If so what is your take on why your booster pump is better than a upgraded in tank pump? Those booster pumps used to come with Vortech supercharger kits for GM trucks but everyone would throw them away eventually and put a Walbro in the tank??
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #311
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335 View Post
What's up Terry!!!!
Hey Shiv!
Lol!!!! Shiv has no need to use my screen name here, he's not banned on this forum as others are. But anyways. It's all in good fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #312
trbolexis
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by OECMG View Post
I just noticed many of your posts are about Vishnu, are you an employee there? If so what is your take on why your booster pump is better than a upgraded in tank pump? Those booster pumps used to come with Vortech supercharger kits for GM trucks but everyone would throw them away eventually and put a Walbro in the tank??
Disassembly of the stock fuel sending unit is a delicate process, and when it comes down to it, you are essentially breaking it apart to install the pump.

The suction valve at the bottom of the assembly is not regulated at +70 PSI in factory form. Pushing the pressure through it up that high is going to cause failure at some point; but i have no data on that point currently. To add to this note, there is also no sealing surface for it to be completely "fuel tight" at the base when held on by zip ties. -- Imaging having a huge boost leak all before your throttle body because you didn't feel like putting a clamp on the coupler. You would be able to hit boost certainly, but with very little wow effect; and all that leaking boost out of the system is going to cause the turbo to have to work harder to maintain pressure. As a result, it may over-run, and fail prematurely. Another note, the leaking boost around before the TB is also going to cause your boost to fall off at higher RPM as your turbo falls out of its efficiency range. -- Remove the word turbo from all that i previously mentioned, and sub in fuel pump. Remove 'boost leak', and sub 'fuel leak'. Remove TB, and sub 'before your HPFP'.

I think you get the point. The DIY procedure is going to essential cause a fuel leak in the low pressure system which makes the pump work harder, and also causes loss off efficiency as pressures go UP (and the pressure in the LP system is much higher than most any other vehicle in production, period.); this is why you want to leave the stock system intact. The booster pump will NOT cause a leak, and will ONLY raise fuel volume flowing to the HPFP. It gives you complete peace of mind when driving your car on long trips because you know that your stock siphoning valves and fuel regulated systems are 100% fail proof, and that your fuel gauge is accurate.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #313
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbolexis View Post
Disassembly of the stock fuel sending unit is a delicate process, and when it comes down to it, you are essentially breaking it apart to install the pump.

The suction valve at the bottom of the assembly is not regulated at +70 PSI in factory form. Pushing the pressure through it up that high is going to cause failure at some point; but i have no data on that point currently. To add to this note, there is also no sealing surface for it to be completely "fuel tight" at the base when held on by zip ties. -- Imaging having a huge boost leak all before your throttle body because you didn't feel like putting a clamp on the coupler. You would be able to hit boost certainly, but with very little wow effect; and all that leaking boost out of the system is going to cause the turbo to have to work harder to maintain pressure. As a result, it may over-run, and fail prematurely. Another note, the leaking boost around before the TB is also going to cause your boost to fall off at higher RPM as your turbo falls out of its efficiency range. -- Remove the word turbo from all that i previously mentioned, and sub in fuel pump. Remove 'boost leak', and sub 'fuel leak'. Remove TB, and sub 'before your HPFP'.

I think you get the point. The DIY procedure is going to essential cause a fuel leak in the low pressure system which makes the pump work harder, and also causes loss off efficiency as pressures go UP (and the pressure in the LP system is much higher than most any other vehicle in production, period.); this is why you want to leave the stock system intact. The booster pump will NOT cause a leak, and will ONLY raise fuel volume flowing to the HPFP. It gives you complete peace of mind when driving your car on long trips because you know that your stock siphoning valves and fuel regulated systems are 100% fail proof, and that your fuel gauge is accurate.
A lot of propaganda here. My favorite bits are speculation on breaking the suction valve, that your fuel gauge wouldn't work with another solution, and that you need to break the stock LP unit when it is clear you can just drop a Walbro E85 pump in. Ironically the inline booster pump uses a Walbro E85 pump anyway to patch up underperforming stock system. I'd love to see how the pump is cooled (since intank pumps need to be in tank to cool). If it is intank, well then guess who's fuel gauge isn't reading accurately.

Last thing, its already been demonstrated the DIY E85 Walbro holds LP at 100% ethanol and 500+rw on RBs (demands more fuel than single turbos). In fact much past this you will see HP start to fall, indicating the $200 DIY eliminates LP issues.

I guess once we see more details this pump setup could look better, but so far I am unimpressed. I have been waiting for a LPFP upgrade and was honestly expecting a lot more than this. Not just a copy of the DIY Walbro slapped on top of the stock unit. I will wait a little longer for more info and results, but its not looking good!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #314
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbolexis View Post

From what I have seen with the OEM setup the siphon valve sits in position using a plastic ridge, and is held down by the weight of the OEM fuel pump. In the DIY there is a ziptie holding it in that same plastic ridge in addition to the weight of the Walbro pump sitting right on top of it just like the OEM setup. Your concern there is unfounded. If there was an issue then we would see the low fuel pressure drop in logs which none of the 5-6 people who have done the
DIY are seeing. Overall it's been a solid low fuel pressure setup. Different strokes for different folks.

That isn't to say your inline pump can't be a solid setup either. With inline pumps normally they reduce volume / increase wear on the in tank pump when they are not pumping, becuase they become a big restriction. Does yours pump full time or only during wide open throttle?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #315
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
A lot of propaganda here. My favorite bits are speculation on breaking the suction valve, that your fuel gauge wouldn't work with another solution, and that you need to break the stock LP unit when it is clear you can just drop a Walbro E85 pump in. Ironically the inline booster pump uses a Walbro E85 pump anyway to patch up underperforming stock system. I'd love to see how the pump is cooled (since intank pumps need to be in tank to cool). If it is intank, well then guess who's fuel gauge isn't reading accurately.

Last thing, its already been demonstrated the DIY E85 Walbro holds LP at 100% ethanol and 500+rw on RBs (demands more fuel than single turbos). In fact much past this you will see HP start to fall, indicating the $200 DIY eliminates LP issues.

I guess once we see more details this pump setup could look better, but so far I am unimpressed. I have been waiting for a LPFP upgrade and was honestly expecting a lot more than this. Not just a copy of the DIY Walbro slapped on top of the stock unit. I will wait a little longer for more info and results, but its not looking good!

But just remember Vishnu had been working on this far far longer than when that DIY popped up. A lot of R&D has gone into this and the other fuel system components soon to be discussed, I wouldn't throw this out as a viable option just yet.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #316
Sean@FFTEC
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 Turbo

To answer a few questions.

Many people were wondering how we were supporting the fuel system on Shiv's car earlier this year. Now everybody knows. We were actually running a prototype version of this system at the shift sector event back in February and have logged approximately 20k miles. This is a heavily tested product.

This has played a crucial role (not the sole reason by any means) in Shiv's car producing over 600 whp on our mustang dyno on 100% e85 without changing methanol nozzles.

Our inline fuel pump remains intank so there are no issues with the pump overheating.

The installation of the fuel pump leaves all factory siphons intact and does not obstruct any of the fuel level sending units.

The fuel pump remains on at all times running variable voltage and reducing the strain on the factory fuel pump.

The efficiency of the Walbro fuel pump is increased at high fuel pressures because it is being fed instead of actually drawing in fuel. Shiv and I have had several conversations with high performance fuel pump engineers on this topic.

I will post this in the other thread as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #317
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@FFTEC View Post
To answer a few questions.

Many people were wondering how we were supporting the fuel system on Shiv's car earlier this year. Now everybody knows. We were actually running a prototype version of this system at the shift sector event back in February and have logged approximately 20k miles. This is a heavily tested product.

This has played a crucial role (not the sole reason by any means) in Shiv's car producing over 600 whp on our mustang dyno on 100% e85 without changing methanol nozzles.

Our inline fuel pump remains intank so there are no issues with the pump overheating.

The installation of the fuel pump leaves all factory siphons intact and does not obstruct any of the fuel level sending units.

The fuel pump remains on at all times running variable voltage and reducing the strain on the factory fuel pump.

The efficiency of the Walbro fuel pump is increased at high fuel pressures because it is being fed instead of actually drawing in fuel. Shiv and I have had several conversations with high performance fuel pump engineers on this topic.

I will post this in the other thread as well.
So the next question is: when will this be released to the single turbo guys?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #318
Sean@FFTEC
Rep

This is a short video I put together for the single turbo system that has a few clips of single turbo powered 335's at the shift sector event.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #319
trbolexis
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

lol .. "im just gonna leave this here"

excellent showcase!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #320
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@FFTEC
This is a short video I put together for the single turbo system that has a few clips of single turbo powered 335's at the shift sector event.

Hey Sean, which RB car was that? There were only 2 at the event, mine and the gray one. That wasn't either one
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #321
Sean@FFTEC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335 View Post
Hey Sean, which RB car was that? There were only 2 at the event, mine and the gray one. That wasn't either one

Unfortunately I do not know. I only received the videos titled as (car description) vs (car description) as the name of the video and a text document with notes on how the car was performing during each pass.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #322
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I do not know. I only received the videos titled as (car description) vs (car description) as the name of the video and a text document with notes on how the car was performing during each pass.
I see... Well, just letting u know that wasn't an RB car maybe an FBO...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #323
SIKH335
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335
Quote:
Quote:

Sick that was the grey (Silver) one. It was the Asian guy at the event the first day. Sorry I forgot his name, I think SRanch????? Maybe. Either way not sure of the specifics of the race but it was a RB car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #324
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335
Quote:
Quote:

Sick that was the grey (Silver) one. It was the Asian guy at the event the first day. Sorry I forgot his name, I think SRanch????? Maybe. Either way not sure of the specifics of the race but it was a RB car.
I must be going blind could have sworn the first time i watched it, it was white. That is Sranch, impressive pull up top, not unexpected tho
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #325
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
I must be going blind could have sworn the first time i watched it, it was white. That is Sranch, impressive pull up top, not unexpected tho
I heard it was one of those botched start runs where Sranch didn't even know they were racing until he was passed by...

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #326
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
I heard it was one of those botched start runs where Sranch didn't even know they were racing until he was passed by...

Mike
Anything is possible. Depending on which turbo was in the camera car. But yea, either way a single wont pull that hard off of an even start. If anything RB will jump ahead, and the single would catch and pass up top,
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #327
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Anything is possible. Depending on which turbo was in the camera car. But yea, either way a single wont pull that hard off of an even start. If anything RB will jump ahead, and the single would catch and pass up top,
The turbo in the single's car was the 5858

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #328
Sick335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
The turbo in the single's car was the 5858
Either way, RB power levels already reach the limits of traction even off of a 60mph roll, so unless RB lost traction, or the single jumped hard, that looked pretty weird...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #329
SIKH335
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
I think we all need to wait for the 6AT fix before we assume what a Single can do vs an RB car. The singles are being dialed back due to the Trans at this point.

Just imagine a 650whp with a 6AT that holds the power.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #330
OECMG
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@FFTEC View Post
Sweet video but why did you only show the races where FFTEC came out on top???
Appreciate 0