E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Shaking/shimmy when braking ? Help

04-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e90 6spd

Shaking/shimmy when braking ? Help

Background on the car, 08 with 50k lowered on coilovers

Driving on the highway 50+ and start braking get a bad vibration in the steering wheel , very anoying, front and rear brakes Are brand new, does it with both sets of rims i have , jacked up the car all bushings are fine nothing cracked ripped or broken in the suspension, any ideas?

Some people buy cars to look at them and call them their babies, but not me. This car is my bitch and I bought it to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Warped rotor or maybe a stuck caliper? I know you said the brakes were new, but I had the same symptoms and it was a warped rotor. Got it replaced under warranty and it completely went away.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

I have the same thing going on. I put new front brakes on a month or so ago. Do you feel the brake pedal pulsating as well or just the steering wheel?

I read another post that said it could be worn out control arm bushings and I've been wanting to upgrade to the M3 arms for some time now so I figured now was a good time to do it.

I would inspect your control arms.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
I have the same thing going on. I put new front brakes on a month or so ago. Do you feel the brake pedal pulsating as well or just the steering wheel?

I read another post that said it could be worn out control arm bushings and I've been wanting to upgrade to the M3 arms for some time now so I figured now was a good time to do it.

I would inspect your control arms.
I dont think i feel it in the pedal , just the steering wheel, i checked the bushings and everything looks fine and is tight so idk, i tryed low milage rotors to see of it was that and still their and thatz when i just got all the brakes brand new and its still their so i know its not the brakes, i thought my sway links wer broken but their fine to
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep

Checked all front arms amd everything looks great, bushing are fine wheel has no movement, sway bar link are fine, sway bushings are also fine, shimmy still their braking from 60 mph but goes away the slower the car gets, so im still stumped
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Sparkee
Stability is Overrated
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 328i Sedan w/MT6

Maybe alignment, like the front toe-in is out of whack? So the two front wheels compete with each other for grip under braking?
Appreciate 0