E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Both keys stopped working on central locking

01-18-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
surrey 335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i E91 sport, 123d + others

Both keys stopped working on central locking

2006 325i and both keys just stopped working on my mates E91. He can open the door using the emergency metal key.

Can Anyone recommend where to take it to be looked at ( not main dealer ) he is located west London/ Ealing area. Bmw dealers he rang said 2 week waiting time to even look at it!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:15 AM   #2
Rally_chris
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E91 330i Msport Touring

If the keys still work to start the engine, and it is just the central locking not working from the remote control buttons then either the diversity module mounted under the rear spoiler has failed (many have got wet from leaks) or some wires are damaged in the hinge area of the tailgate. There are numerous threads on the forum detailing each problem.

Chris
      01-18-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
surrey 335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks so the diversity module reads the keys and it's in the tailgate?

Can anyone recommend someone in west London / Central or North London or Middlesex / / Berks that could help with fixing this?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #4
Rally_chris
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E91 330i Msport Touring

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ity+module+wet
      01-18-2015, 03:36 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_chris View Post
If the keys still work to start the engine, and it is just the central locking not working from the remote control buttons then either the diversity module mounted under the rear spoiler has failed (many have got wet from leaks) or some wires are damaged in the hinge area of the tailgate. There are numerous threads on the forum detailing each problem.

Chris
+1

E91 is complicated. IF you read bmw instructions, their tolerance of refitting the rear spoiler is in milimeters. If indy / dealer does not follow that criteria, there are chances that water will go into diversity module and destroy it.

Also, does not want to make this a sale thread, but I have complete tail gait of pre-LCI e91 with diversity module left over from LCI conversion.
      01-18-2015, 03:54 AM   #6
surrey 335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+1

E91 is complicated. IF you read bmw instructions, their tolerance of refitting the rear spoiler is in milimeters. If indy / dealer does not follow that criteria, there are chances that water will go into diversity module and destroy it.

Also, does not want to make this a sale thread, but I have complete tail gait of pre-LCI e91 with diversity module left over from LCI conversion.
Thanks Sam we'd definitetly buy your module if it turns out that's the problem I have said to him he needs to try and find a local auto elec to take a look and confirm if the wiring is ok / check for water damage.
Is it worth using silicone sealer when putting it back together then?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:59 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+1

Thanks Sam we'd definitetly buy your module if it turns out that's the problem I have said to him he needs to try and find a local auto elec to take a look and confirm if the wiring is ok / check for water damage.
Is it worth using silicone sealer when putting it back together then?
TBH, I never opened it so its hard to say whether silicone will help here.
      01-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Could quite rightly be diversity as these suffer from either moisture/water contamination of breaks in the wiring from/to it, but ut could also be tailgate wiring which most people over look which Rally Chris's link suggests half way down.

Here's a 5 series touring(which also suffers the same issues as the 3 series tourer)we done on Thursday afternoon with 2 reported no finctioning keys(no remote central locking) poor radio reception and a non operating heated rear window..

the above picutre shows a broken wire found straight away on the top of the tailgate area(where the off side hinge is if you follow me). And below once we'd gained sccess to the wiring harness which runs on the off side of the car we see the a few more.

The problem re wiring shown above effects the 3's and 5's sadly. Once repaired we re gained central locking, heated rear screen and a half decent signal of the radio. In total we counted 9 broken wires. BMW are aware of this issue especially on the 5's and by stealth so to speak a new harness was put out on general release to repalce wiring fitted to cas should peolpe encouter the problem of broken wires. There's simply not enough give on the wires currently fittted to these cars plus over time they become brittle and with little provication when you have the wires in your fingers its quite easy to break then even more so when the temp's are a s cold as they are at the moment.

To be fiar we see so many tourers with this issue its almost second nature for us to repair them, however unless you carry out a complete "overhaul" of the effected wiring(which takes more time than repairing the one's broken that you can see) then other wires in the loom will break over time purely based on the fact that the loom design is slightly flawed. THe new wiring harness from BMW(comes in 3 sections from memory with modifed plugs is a little longer, thicker and has a fair bit more flex) sadly though it ain't cheap.

Last edited by old grey steve; 01-18-2015 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0