E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

12-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #6689
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Yea I was considering mounting the AP via suction cup and putting up AFR or coolant temp or something just to have another gauge, but it didn't stay connected more than 5 minutes or so...

Totally fine for datalogging pulls, but not that useful as a gauge...

Suggestion: when the thing loses connection, can't it try to re-establish itself?
I try to keep up something with more "activity" like the RPM gauge & it tends to freeze less. Now that I got dynod I'm actually waiting for it to stop raining to see what the 1/4 mile & 0-60 estimates are. Anybody know how accurate that feature is on the AP??
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #6690
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
I try to keep up something with more "activity" like the RPM gauge & it tends to freeze less. Now that I got dynod I'm actually waiting for it to stop raining to see what the 1/4 mile & 0-60 estimates are. Anybody know how accurate that feature is on the AP??
I read a post somewhere from a guy who had slightly different numbers between his slip and the AP. but that would be expected. it was pretty close, but i believe the AP was reading faster times. Can the AP compensate for wheel dia?

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #6691
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
I read a post somewhere from a guy who had slightly different numbers between his slip and the AP. but that would be expected. it was pretty close, but i believe the AP was reading faster times. Can the AP compensate for wheel dia?
The AP is using the ABS signal for MPH/distance calculations so that automatically takes wheel diameter into account.
      12-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #6692
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
The AP is using the ABS signal for MPH/distance calculations so that automatically takes wheel diameter into account.
awesome, didn't know that.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #6693
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
I now place the cradle on the driver side vent. Plenty of room. Its a 4 way swivel so there is plenty of adjustments, just the vent itself can't carry the weight so you have to compensate the swivel to be angled up, as the vent pulls it down. Make sense?
I think were talking about two different vents...
Not the drivers side with the adjustable fins...
I'm referring to the vent above that that is not adjustable and is at a fixed angle towards the driver side window (defrost purposes)
have you tried that vent and then angled the Cobb AP towards you.
I just think it would be easier to see and keep your eyes on the road while driving (easier to use as a shift indicator as well, since its higher up and closer to eye level)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #6694
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
So can the accuracy of the AP be verified? Or do we know it consistently reads fast/slow?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #6695
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So can the accuracy of the AP be verified? Or do we know it consistently reads fast/slow?
Based on what I've seen the AP reads fast. Remember that the factory speedometer is only accurate to within ~4% so the faster you go the more it will be off.

The thing to keep in mind is that the measurements it provides should be used to show deltas rather than absolute figures(just like a dyno.) So as long as it's just being used to compare different maps its fine.
      12-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #6696
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
I think were talking about two different vents...
Not the drivers side with the adjustable fins...
I'm referring to the vent above that that is not adjustable and is at a fixed angle towards the driver side window (defrost purposes)
have you tried that vent and then angled the Cobb AP towards you.
I just think it would be easier to see and keep your eyes on the road while driving (easier to use as a shift indicator as well, since its higher up and closer to eye level)
Got it,

I'll get back to you tomorrow and test it out.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #6697
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
No, it doesn't take wheel diameter or tire size into account; but since it uses the wheel speed sensors any changes in gearing (rear end or transmission) won't matter to it. All it can do is measure each time the wheel turns; how far the car moves for each revolution is a mystery to it. Bigger overall circumference of tires will cause the speedo to read slower (and thus the AP slower), shorter tires will cause it to read fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #6698
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No, it doesn't take wheel diameter or tire size into account; but since it uses the wheel speed sensors any changes in gearing (rear end or transmission) won't matter to it. All it can do is measure each time the wheel turns; how far the car moves for each revolution is a mystery to it. Bigger overall circumference of tires will cause the speedo to read slower (and thus the AP slower), shorter tires will cause it to read fast.
Yeah, you're right about the tire diameter. Total brain fart on my end. However, in all instances that I've see the AP reads fast. That's not saying it always reads fast, you could possibly find 100 instances where it reads slow, but that's just what I've seen.
      12-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #6699
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah, you're right about the tire diameter. Total brain fart on my end. However, in all instances that I've see the AP reads fast. That's not saying it always reads fast, you could possibly find 100 instances where it reads slow, but that's just what I've seen.
I think it reads fast because our speedos are all calibrated to read fast, and thats what the AP uses to know how far you've gone/how fast you're going.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #6700
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think it reads fast because our speedos are all calibrated to read fast, and thats what the AP uses to know how far you've gone/how fast you're going.
I think your right.
      12-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #6701
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Hmm... overboosts are common on the OTS mapping for some cars and this has me wondering if the OPPOSITE could be true for some cars. Maybe the OTS WGDC mapping isn't aggressive enough on certain maps and there isn't enough adders or PID to make up the difference. This could be interesting.
So i am running OTS S1+ Drive, got tired of the Ethanol Blends and only have 91. Ran 4 logs Saturday and no signs of overboost and or got no Boost Leak Codes.

Is it possible to get leak codes on more aggressive MAPs (18.5 psi) on not mild MAPs (15 psi)? I would assume if I had a true leak, I would have gotten one on the OTS S1+ Drive MAP? I have a funny feeling the code was thrown because the car hadn't fully adapted to S1+ Agg. from my Pro Tune? could that be a cause?

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #6702
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
Anyone using a mount or clip for Cobb ap when monitoring, like on AC vent?
Actually a really nice place for the COBB. After a few minor adjustment to the swivel, I was able to get a good angle. Holds really nice. New spot for me.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #6703
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So i am running OTS S1+ Drive, got tired of the Ethanol Blends and only have 91. Ran 4 logs Saturday and no signs of overboost and or got no Boost Leak Codes.

Is it possible to get leak codes on more aggressive MAPs (18.5 psi) on not mild MAPs (15 psi)? I would assume if I had a true leak, I would have gotten one on the OTS S1+ Drive MAP? I have a funny feeling the code was thrown because the car hadn't fully adapted to S1+ Agg. from my Pro Tune? could that be a cause?
Adaption could be a possibility. The PID system does allow for some adaptions and it's possible it just hadn't had the time to do so.
      12-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #6704
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Adaption could be a possibility. The PID system does allow for some adaptions and it's possible it just hadn't had the time to do so.
awesome thanks for the replay and I will keep an eye out.

FYI, I did get some very minor throttle closures on OTS S1+ Drive, since its so minor I would think the DME would correct/adapt itself after a few more WOT.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #6705
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
If i get some better weather i can verify the Cobbs results vs my Gtech Pro. It uses the same 10hz poll frequency as Vbox.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #6706
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
If i get some better weather i can verify the Cobbs results vs my Gtech Pro. It uses the same 10hz poll frequency as Vbox.
Looking forward to your results. I think i may invest in one myself.
      12-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #6707
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
I know a lot of people use the VBox, is there any significant difference in features (since the Vbox & Gtech both seem to be equally accurate)?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #6708
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to your results. I think i may invest in one myself.
It seems to be fairly damn accurate, i went out the other night to play with it for the first time and managed a blistering best time of 13.5 @118

When i ran in gainesville in the summer heat my best was 13.0 @115, so its about what i would expect, given the temperature difference. ...Now if only i could learn how to launch...

I went out with a buddy to see what kind of times his 535 would run, couldnt get enough satellites through DENSE cloud cover, only downside i've seen yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #6709
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I know a lot of people use the VBox, is there any significant difference in features (since the Vbox & Gtech both seem to be equally accurate)?
Before purchasing it i read a few reviews of people comparing times side by side to vbox - they were VERY close. The only thing that sucks is that gtech times will not be accepted as official for 1/4 mi, or 60-130 because it doesnt log altitude, so slope cannot be confirmed. But I could care less, i'm not trying to break any records.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #6710
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The only thing that sucks is that gtech times will not be accepted as official for 1/4 mi, or 60-130 because it doesnt log altitude, so slope cannot be confirmed. But I could care less, i'm not trying to break any records.
Same here, i just want it for data collection not bench racing.