E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

05-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #5171
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
+1. CP and FMIC really aren't that bad once you get used to working in tight spaces. I looked at the DP's and knew instantly that wasn't happening with me under the car. My local tech did the install and gave me the precious gift of a few extra hours time.
Out of curiosity... what danger, if any, does one run by running the Stg2+FMIC Aggressive map on a car with DPs, intakes, but no actual FMIC? On a everyday drive situation vs track situation? Is it a question of more power being delivered more aggressively until heat sets in and then a major drop of power for as long as the engine doesn't cool down (vs. less aggressive power delivery over a longer period of time), or is it something more?
      05-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #5172
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Out of curiosity... what danger, if any, does one run by running the Stg2+FMIC Aggressive map on a car with DPs, intakes, but no actual FMIC? On a everyday drive situation vs track situation? Is it a question of more power being delivered more aggressively until heat sets in and then a major drop of power for as long as the engine doesn't cool down (vs. less aggressive power delivery over a longer period of time), or is it something more?

IIRC, Cobb said the stock FMIC is pretty restrictive from a flow perspective.

I personally know of someone locally who ran Stage 2+ without upgraded FMIC on the street and he was throwing codes pretty regularly once he started romping on it. On the track he went back to Stage 2 and all was well. Ironically, I'm the one having issues with Stage 2+ and I have all supporting mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #5173
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
IIRC, Cobb said the stock FMIC is pretty restrictive from a flow perspective.

I personally know of someone locally who ran Stage 2+ without upgraded FMIC on the street and he was throwing codes pretty regularly once he started romping on it. On the track he went back to Stage 2 and all was well. Ironically, I'm the one having issues with Stage 2+ and I have all supporting mods.
Interesting. The car in question throws no codes and is overall happy as long as 93+ octane is used. I've seen it throw some codes a while back, but a swapped injector fixed everything. I guess when the guy takes it to the track, I'll tell him to try 2+ and if it doesn't work, go to 2 I was making sure no "really bad stuff" will happen.
      05-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #5174
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Interesting. The car in question throws no codes and is overall happy as long as 93+ octane is used. I've seen it throw some codes a while back, but a swapped injector fixed everything. I guess when the guy takes it to the track, I'll tell him to try 2+ and if it doesn't work, go to 2 I was making sure no "really bad stuff" will happen.
Run it past the folks at Cobb first as they said the FMIC really allows them to tune aggresively.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #5175
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Run it past the folks at Cobb first as they said the FMIC really allows them to tune aggresively.
STage 1 plus is more aggressive than stage 2. FMIC is VERY important.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #5176
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
STage 1 plus is more aggressive than stage 2. FMIC is VERY important.
That's fair enough, I'm just trying to establish in what way, being a n00b and all. Question of heat, power, permanent engine damage? That stuff.
      05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #5177
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
That's fair enough, I'm just trying to establish in what way, being a n00b and all. Question of heat, power, permanent engine damage? That stuff.
You will probably have constant ignition correction (if you dont run high octane) and the turbos will have to work harder.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #5178
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
With running Stage 2+ on a car that only meets the requirements for Stage 2, you'd prob go into limp mode before doing any serious, permanent damage. On the other hand, if you were running Stage 1 and tried to run Stage 2 without DPs, you'd prob do serious damage to the turbos running them on piping that is too restrictive for high boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #5179
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
You make it sound like I'm the only one that thinks you're being an asshole.

^^Straight from your visitor messages.... Interesting

Not sure who you're buying from, but buy your gas (if possible) from a Top Tier Gasoline Retailer (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html). The gas stations listed here are held to a standard that ensures the quality of the octane is legit, regardless of where you're buying it from.
You can make whatever assumption you want. You were wrong in your "debated" point, and refuse to own it. Whatever you think that makes me, perhaps with some thought you'll figure out what it makes you.

As for why you think I'm an a-hole, I went back and read my posts. I asked perfectly legitimate questions, without any snarkyness, and you replied with insults at me. I'd suggest you go back and read the record bud. I didn't start anything, and my math and points were all correct. So far, all that's really clear to me is you ahve no idea what toluene is or does, how common it is in standard pump gas, how long it's been used as a motorhead octane booster, or anything about the truth of 16oz bottles of octane booster.

Not sure why you're worried where I buy gas. But if you're assuming only low grade gasoline suppliers use toluene, you'd again be wrong. 40% of all toluene production is used as a gasoline additive. Shell, Exxon Mobile and BP for example, all use toluol in their blends to meet octane targets.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #5180
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

CN notes of 131 (non-n00b setting) pages:

misfires = spark plugs, coils, or possibly injectors (coding or hardware) - this is not a cobb issue

run the map in accordance with your mods, same goes for octane from a tier 1 station

yes you can throw some e85 in it to calm down timing corrections, no it wont make more power (unless you were losing some due to timing corrections)

ATR = vaporware, protuners are sceeered of non-stg1 cars

n55 eta = no clue, I got $5 on never.

/CN, bump for cobb on that "once a day" thing they joked about!!
      05-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #5181
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

What does ATR have to do with protuners?

Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #5182
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

I also live in Alabama and I have noticed that adding race gas to the mix seems to help the car run smoother and stronger. I mixed some 100 octane (ethanol free, detergent free, pure "gas") with some 93 octane to achieve an approximate 96-97 octane mix and I trapped at 114 mph at the drag strip. I went back a couple of months later with just regular 93 and was only trapping 110 (I do blame a little on the heat... but still it is a load based tune unless I was hitting the boost limit). I run stage 2+ aggressive. I also tried the new beta maps and actually dropped to 108/109 mph. Put 3.01 back on and immediately car ran 110 again. I am avoiding the beta maps for now. With regular 93 (almost always Shell, occasionally Chevron) I get the oscillations at lower RPM's when I floor it... especially in like 4th gear. With race gas I noticed no oscillations. I do have all new injectors and plugs (maybe 4 months ago, less than 5k miles on them).

I think the Cobb stg 2+ aggressive map is slightly too much for the 93 we have, and the summer heat definitely seems to contribute to that issue. If i am even considering racing or going to the track I go add about 5 gallons of 100 octane race gas to my tank. It is almost like in Texas they have 93.5 and here we have 92.5 and so I try to have at least 95 octane as insurance if nothing else... both to satisfy the tune and for heat.

Zeph
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #5183
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
You can make whatever assumption you want. You were wrong in your "debated" point, and refuse to own it. Whatever you think that makes me, perhaps with some thought you'll figure out what it makes you.

As for why you think I'm an a-hole, I went back and read my posts. I asked perfectly legitimate questions, without any snarkyness, and you replied with insults at me. I'd suggest you go back and read the record bud. I didn't start anything, and my math and points were all correct. So far, all that's really clear to me is you ahve no idea what toluene is or does, how common it is in standard pump gas, how long it's been used as a motorhead octane booster, or anything about the truth of 16oz bottles of octane booster.

Not sure why you're worried where I buy gas. But if you're assuming only low grade gasoline suppliers use toluene, you'd again be wrong. 40% of all toluene production is used as a gasoline additive. Shell, Exxon Mobile and BP for example, all use toluol in their blends to meet octane targets.

Whatever, I really am not one to pick fights over the internet and get laptop muscles. We're all COBB users & want the best performance from our cars without blowing them. If you go back, BlackBB6 & AU335i both agreed that the NOS race formula octane booster is 60 points (ignoring the quality or impact it has). The Top Tier Gas thing wasn't for since clearly you know octane & how to bump it up with authentic additives
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #5184
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
What does ATR have to do with protuners?

Sigh.
I'll connect those two dots for you!! If ATR was out, the community would be pushing the use of the AP for more heavily modded cars. We would be sharing alternative fuel maps, remote tuning, finding and reporting flaws, and pushing the hardware market to deliver cost effective turbo options. We would also be having some intelligent discussion about this platform (for once). This is in stark contrast to the mild showings from protuners who do have access to the ATP suite. You do realize ATR is essentially ATP freeware, lite... right?

I'm spoiled, I came from subie roots where the availability of opensource tuning (and ATR) was literally at the heart of the platform. Just hoping for more of the same here but losing my wood over it!
      05-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #5185
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
I'll connect those two dots for you!! If ATR was out, the community would be pushing the use of the AP for more heavily modded cars. We would be sharing alternative fuel maps, remote tuning, finding and reporting flaws, and pushing the hardware market to deliver cost effective turbo options. We would also be having some intelligent discussion about this platform (for once). This is in stark contrast to the mild showings from protuners who do have access to the ATP suite. You do realize ATR is essentially ATP freeware, lite... right?

I'm spoiled, I came from subie roots where the availability of opensource tuning (and ATR) was literally at the heart of the platform. Just hoping for more of the same here but losing my wood over it!
Then go get protuned.

I'm in the process of having FBO+93 and FBO+ meth ATP maps. Apparently there was a bug with the software/ my ROM(and the distance I live from the shop isn't helping) and its taking a little longer than expected.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #5186
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Then go get protuned.

I'm in the process of having FBO+93 and FBO+ meth ATP maps. Apparently there was a bug with the software/ my ROM(and the distance I live from the shop isn't helping) and its taking a little longer than expected.
Im having my car protune soon as well. What exactly is adjusted when the car is protune? Just out of curiosity.
      05-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #5187
Supracg135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I havent updated in a while I've been using the v202 alternate v2 throttle maps, generally for you guys which v3 maps are you running/like most?

Sorry I'm sure theres been a lot of posts about this on the thread its just hard to search through..just wondering if there is a general consensus on a favorite
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #5188
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post

Barely anyone here has gone to get Protuned yet. They can't provide results when there are none to provide. And I would like to argue that there are few members who know enough on here to actually make good use of ATR.

If you want to discuss tooning, then why don't you go get Protuned? There have been some updates from certain tuning shops, but they themselves admitted that they hadn't had many if any FBO cars come by.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #5189
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supracg135 View Post
I havent updated in a while I've been using the v202 alternate v2 throttle maps, generally for you guys which v3 maps are you running/like most?

Sorry I'm sure theres been a lot of posts about this on the thread its just hard to search through..just wondering if there is a general consensus on a favorite
Try out the v4xx beta maps. They're pretty great.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #5190
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
Im having my car protune soon as well. What exactly is adjusted when the car is protune? Just out of curiosity.
Check out Cobbtuning.com website. There are dozens of adjustable parameters.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #5191
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Barely anyone here has gone to get Protuned yet. They can't provide results when there are none to provide.
Shop car(s)...

Quote:
If you want to discuss tooning, then why don't you go get Protuned?
Because I prefer to roadtune my own vehicles. Damn circular reference!
      05-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #5192
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'd still like to see what kind of gains can be had from a protune over a OTS Stage 2+ map.

Oh and there are no shops in Florida that protune BMW's.
Appreciate 0