E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52; what after market exhaust would mimic best the E46 engine note?

07-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

N52; what after market exhaust would mimic best the E46 engine note?

Disqualified; anything above a grand, including BMW Performance Exhaust

I want something that contributes to mid-range growl like my E46 does so well. And not too loud for when I start early 6hAM in the morning. Too bad that the N52 comes so muted stock (335i owners don't have this 'issue').

I was interested in the TopSpeed DTM Pro-1, but looking on youtube, they sound way too aggressive for me.

I have no interest and doesn't like the muffler delete alternative.

I am looking for Ikon which seems to be a fair trade-off but I am open to suggestions, keeping in mind my criteria. Txs!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I know you don't want the BMW peformance exhaust but that would be your best option. I got it and the car sounds awesome not to mention it runs a hell of a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Not all N52 equipped cars have this problem......

Try buying a 330i exhaust from the Marketplace here. Quite sure someone has an example to flog for not too dear of a price.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

It is not the exhaust that gives the E46 330i its engine note; it is the air intake that gives that growl. Don't believe me? You should get someone to rev the engine while you listen outside front and back of an E46 330i or an E90 335i.

First thing for your N52 is to take out the charcoal filter in the airbox. Just do a search for "charcoal filter".

If that's not good enough for you, you may want to remove the airbox and install an aftermarket air intake.

Both these options are much easier and cheaper than changing the exhaust.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Saintor
Banned
Rep

I finally ordered a BMW Performance Exhaust. More expensive, but you know what you are buying. I was really annoyed of owning a BMW that sounded like a Lexus.

BTW, you can scratch the first line of my first message.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Bentrix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i e92

Where did you buy it?

I have mine going on at the end of the month and got a great price on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Saintor
Banned
Rep

After having exchanged a few PM with Bentrix, here is a brief review.

1. The exhaust thing is something that I should have done from day One.
2. The BMW Performance exhaust should be standard for Sport Pack N52 cars. The N54 is Ok as is in my book.
3. It is very silent at speed, no drone at all. Still it is there when solicited.
4. The midrange growl is back and finally I recognize most of the L6 sound of my E46 (M54). But it is not as raw. The E90 cockpit is better insulated and it shows. There is MUCH more noise difference outside than inside. I would have appreciate a bit more of it inside, but in the long run and as a daily driver, it is probably the best balance.
5. If you want to bring back your old muffler back in your car, don't assume that the dealer will package it right. They just put plastic bags over it and a sharp edge scratched my rear door aluminum trim. They took a picture and will likely address my claim. At minimum they should have used cardboard protectors.

Anyway it is a great progress. But I plan to add an intake so maybe right or wrong it will compensate the 10-15% of sound that I feel it should have inside.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
Bentrix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

2. The BMW Performance exhaust should be standard for Sport Pack N52 cars. The N54 is Ok as is in my book.
3. It is very silent at speed, no drone at all. Still it is there when solicited.
4. The midrange growl is back and finally I recognize most of the L6 sound of my E46 (M54). But it is not as raw. The E90 cockpit is better insulated and it shows. There is MUCH more noise difference outside than inside. I would have appreciate a bit more of it inside, but in the long run and as a daily driver, it is probably the best balance.
5. If you want to bring back your old muffler back in your car, don't assume that the dealer will package it right. They just put plastic bags over it and a sharp edge scratched my rear door aluminum trim. They took a picture and will likely address my claim. At minimum they should have used cardboard protectors.

Anyway it is a great progress. But I plan to add an intake so maybe right or wrong it will compensate the 10-15% of sound that I feel it should have inside.
I was waiting for this update! Thanks. Can't wait for the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

I agree with you 100%, at this point I could not see myself driving an N52 car without the perfromance exhaust. Of course BMW wants to make extra $$ this is why the exhaust is sold completly seperatly.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

I'm curious to why you ordered the BMW perf when you initially stated you wanted something quieter, like the Ikon. Don't you find the BMW Perf slightly on the loud side?

Quote:
I finally ordered a BMW Performance Exhaust. More expensive, but you know what you are buying. I was really annoyed of owning a BMW that sounded like a Lexus.

BTW, you can scratch the first line of my first message.

Appreciate 0