E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > WTD: L7 underseat subs

07-14-2015, 02:37 AM   #1
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

WTD: L7 underseat subs

Just wondering if anyone knows of/has a pair of these as I'm looking to add them to my Alpine upgrade.

Thanks,

Raj
      07-14-2015, 03:32 AM   #2
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Hey mate,

I've been after these as well for months and could not find a UK seller, so I ended up just buying a pair of MB Quart QMW-200 subwoofers instead (I have the Alpine kit fitted as well).

They should be arriving end of this week - I can post a little review of how they sound if you're interested in an alternative solution?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
redlion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good find. Look forward to hearing your review.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:51 AM   #4
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Hey mate,

I've been after these as well for months and could not find a UK seller, so I ended up just buying a pair of MB Quart QMW-200 subwoofers instead (I have the Alpine kit fitted as well).

They should be arriving end of this week - I can post a little review of how they sound if you're interested in an alternative solution?
Are these just plug and play or will you need a harness/adaptor to?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:58 AM   #5
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey mate,

Nice one. Thanks for the reply.

Yes very interested for sure and of course if they are plug and play or require additional hardware.
      07-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So I did some research on these and how to fit them and here are my findings:

They are 4 Ohm impedance which means they are compatible with the base system (unless you have HiFi or L7 which I think you require 2 Ohm). The Alpine amp can power about 80W RMS *wrong* 40W per channel and these subwoofers are rated just that so it should be a perfect match really. Not sure what kind of frequency response they have as that was the only thing I couldn't find on the net but I hope it will be decent anyways.

In terms of fitting them, they drop into the existing closure perfectly (although it is recommended to line them with some rubber foam).

If you have a LCI you will need to get a flat-head screwdriver and carefully pry open the enclosure to remove the existing sub (pre-LCI ones just lift out after unscrewing). I have actually done this before it's not too difficult and in the worst case you might damage your existing subwoofer, but if you're replacing them then who cares

They do not come with a harness to connect them to the existing connector unfortunately. But having said that it is literally 2 wires on each side that you need to splice and connect up and solder to the terminals of each subwoofer. It's a 5 minute job

BUT! What I intend to do is to break off the connector from my existing sub and re-use that, so that means I don't need to splice my OEM/Alpine connector - but I'd still need to solder some wire on to the subwoofer terminals though (make sure you use proper wire, something like this).

I'll write a fitting guide + photos if there is interest?

Last edited by Sbm007; 07-14-2015 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

They are 4 Ohm impedance which means they are compatible with the base system (unless you have HiFi or L7 which I think you require 2 Ohm). The Alpine amp can power about 80W RMS per channel and these subwoofers are rated just that so it should be a perfect match really. Not sure what kind of frequency response they have as that was the only thing I couldn't find on the net but I hope it will be decent anyways.

In terms of fitting them, they drop into the existing closure perfectly (although it is recommended to line them with some rubber foam).

If you have a LCI you will need to get a flat-head screwdriver and carefully pry open the enclosure to remove the existing sub (pre-LCI ones just lift out after unscrewing). I have actually done this before it's not too difficult and in the worst case you might damage your existing subwoofer, but if you're replacing them then who cares

They do not come with a harness to connect them to the existing connector unfortunately. But having said that it is literally 2 wires on each side that you need to splice and connect up and solder to the terminals of each subwoofer. It's a 5 minute job

BUT! What I intend to do is to break off the connector from my existing sub and re-use that, so that means I don't need to splice my OEM/Alpine connector - but I'd still need to solder some wire on to the subwoofer terminals though (make sure you use proper wire, something like this).

Excellent reply. I'm happy with the fitting side. As long as they'll fit in the stock location and offer better bass response then happy days.

I haven't looked into it properly but does the alpine amp power the subs/mids/tweeters then?

I might order a pair too then as sounds like a spot on upgrade to the standard Base stereo subs.

Thanks again.
      07-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #8
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Excellent reply. I'm happy with the fitting side. As long as they'll fit in the stock location and offer better bass response then happy days.

I haven't looked into it properly but does the alpine amp power the subs/mids/tweeters then?

I might order a pair too then as sounds like a spot on upgrade to the standard Base stereo subs.

Thanks again.
They will fit in the stock location and definitely will be much better bass compared to the existing system for sure!

The Alpine amp uses 2 channels to power the subs and 2 channels to power the mids and tweeters. The rear speakers are powered from the head unit as before. Make sure you have your head unit coded from Stereo to Hi-Fi though, otherwise you will be compromising sound quality.

No worries! It it is indeed .

By the way a few other choices you could go for if you are willing to spend a bit more:

It is my understanding that it is generally considered that Earthquake's are the best although I have seen a few reports on the Internet where they have failed after a while.

I went for MB Quart because I'm not really a massive audiophile but I did want something better than the base system and did some Googling and people generally found them to be good (although could not find specific reviews on the subwoofers).

Last edited by Sbm007; 07-14-2015 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #9
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

For those of you who are impatient and want it tomorrow, like myself. I have messaged an eBay seller and asked if he could price match. He has agreed.

Edit:
He just messaged me again and asked to be contacted directly on: 07983582507 or through his office (www.soundevo.co.uk)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #10
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfaz View Post
For those of you who are impatient and want it tomorrow, like myself. I have messaged an eBay seller and asked if he could price match. He has agreed.

eBay item number: 121678437405
Damn! I should've thought of that

My FedEx parcel is due to arrive by 6pm Thursday, hope they don't fail me
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #11
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They will fit in the stock location and definitely will be much better bass compared to the existing system for sure!

The Alpine amp uses 2 channels to power the subs and 2 channels to power the mids and tweeters. The rear speakers are powered from the head unit as before. Make sure you have your head unit coded from Stereo to Hi-Fi though, otherwise you will be compromising sound quality.

No worries! It it is indeed .

By the way a few other choices you could go for if you are willing to spend a bit more:

It is my understanding that it is generally considered that Earthquake's are the best although I have seen a few reports on the Internet where they have failed after a while.

I went for MB Quart because I'm not really a massive audiophile but I did want something better than the base system and did some Googling and people generally found them to be good (although could not find specific reviews on the subwoofers).
Another excellent reply. I was considering the Earthquakes for sure but then other mods have taken precident. I've got a JL 550/5 and a nice pair of 10" Orions I was tempted to fit but then figured the hassle and weight plus lack of boot space has put that idea on the back burner so hence thinking just upgrade the subs.
      07-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #12
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Edit:
He just messaged me again and asked to be contacted directly on: 07983582507 or through his office (www.soundevo.co.uk)
Excellent.

Hmmm do I go for it.....

So is that £135 for the same subs?
      07-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB
Quote:

Edit:
Excellent.

Hmmm do I go for it.....

So is that £135 for the same subs?
£145 is what has been agreed with him including next day delivery

I'm about to call and place an order, so I think you should to!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB
Quote:

They are 4 Ohm impedance which means they are compatible with the base system (unless you have HiFi or L7 which I think you require 2 Ohm). The Alpine amp can power about 80W RMS per channel and these subwoofers are rated just that so it should be a perfect match really. Not sure what kind of frequency response they have as that was the only thing I couldn't find on the net but I hope it will be decent anyways.

Thanks again.
Raj
I would suggest you to google
'Technical Details Of alpine kit'
Or
Check my previous postings and you will get what alpine amp actually produces.
There is a reason why I suggested L7 subs as they are more sensitive than other aftermarket drivers.
      07-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #15
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Raj
Or
There is a reason why I suggested L7 subs as they are more sensitive than other aftermarket drivers.
Ah right. Thanks Sam and very appreciated for the heads up.
      07-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #16
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Raj
Or
Ohh, I always thought it was 80W not sure where I read that must've been wrong! Thanks for that.

L7 would have been my first choice if I could source them, but I've been on the hunt for them for past 2-3 months and have struggled to find a decent pair not from USA

As an alternative, aftermarket underseats should still perform at an adequate level and offer better bass than the base system right? Perhaps they don't marry up with the Alpine kit as well but I think it's still money well spent if it means my sound quality improves.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #17
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just noticed a pair of L7 subs on eBay, item number 261964900843, for a very reasonable price. This kind of thing always has to happen when I've bought something else

Anyway just a heads up might come in handy for someone else!

Still haven't received my MB Quart subs, should be here tomorrow.

Did you get yours kayfaz?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:47 AM   #18
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just noticed a pair of L7 subs on eBay, item number 261964900843, for a very reasonable price. This kind of thing always has to happen when I've bought something else

Anyway just a heads up might come in handy for someone else!

Still haven't received my MB Quart subs, should be here tomorrow.

Did you get yours kayfaz?
Yepp I did and managed to fit them yesterday, although without an amp for now. Fitting didn't take long at all, I did splice the existing wire though (flame suite on!)
Definitely noticed an improvement though even without an amp.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #19
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yepp I did and managed to fit them yesterday, although without an amp for now. Fitting didn't take long at all, I did splice the existing wire though (flame suite on!)
Good to hear! Proper amp should definitely make a massive improvement. I'm still waiting for mines to arrive It is apparently "loaded on to delivery vehicle and en route"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
They arrived a few hours ago, I fitted them and oh my god the bass is soooo much better

I had a problem with my left sub, it would start distorting at high volumes and sound like what I can only describe as fart noises.

Now that's completely gone, I can max the volume and even at bass +5 setting it's perfectly clear. Bass definitely has a lot more punch to it now and I can feel the seats shake when the bass kicks in. Certain songs I can now hear the mid-bass really well and makes for a pleasant experience.

All in all I'm very happy with this upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They arrived a few hours ago, I fitted them and oh my god the bass is soooo much better

I had a problem with my left sub, it would start distorting at high volumes and sound like what I can only describe as fart noises.

Now that's completely gone, I can max the volume and even at bass +5 setting it's perfectly clear. Bass definitely has a lot more punch to it now and I can feel the seats shake when the bass kicks in. Certain songs I can now hear the mid-bass really well and makes for a pleasant experience.

All in all I'm very happy with this upgrade
That's good to hear boys. I'm still debating lol as started looking at the Gladen kits now lol. Although having got the car back from having the roof done and having a good drive home I got to listen to my current standard subs with Alpine upgrade and I was actually quite happy with it lol.

Maybe go back to this option of just getting the subs replaced by the sounds of your feedback.
      07-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #22
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've seen those and have messaged them but no response.