E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Is amsoil oil any good?

04-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homieG View Post
^ my car just felt like it ran like shit when i had royal purple in it. amsoil made my car run nice and smooth. i dont have any "lab tests" to prove this but im just saying how the ride felt.
I hate be this way but thats pretty much impossible. Its a lubricant not an ignition part or a fuel. Has nothing to do with how smoothly an engine runs.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #24
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Quote:
^ my car just felt like it ran like shit when i had royal purple in it. amsoil made my car run nice and smooth. i dont have any "lab tests" to prove this but im just saying how the ride felt.
I hate be this way but thats pretty much impossible. Its a lubricant not an ignition part or a fuel. Has nothing to do with how smoothly an engine runs.
That I will strongly disagree
After 20k without oil change, when you start your car with fresh oil it will run smoother...
      04-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
chris328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Where do people come up with these ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #26
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep

Can I see a pic?
      04-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #27
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Hi View Post
That I will strongly disagree
After 20k without oil change, when you start your car with fresh oil it will run smoother...
Hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep

I'm done
      04-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #29
homieG
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F

^ Guru's of oil these guys right here. LMFAOO!!

must drink engine oil to think they know all about it but that it does effect how the engine performs with different engine oils or after oil changes. why would they have all these tests done on different oils then if you wont see or notice a difference?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #30
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

must drink engine oil to think they know all about it but that it does effect how the engine performs with different engine oils or after oil changes. why would they have all these tests done on different oils then if you wont see or notice a difference?
I don't pretend to know much about oil other than you will not be able to tell one from another by engines performance on the street. Different oils protect internal parts differently. Thats what Trackrat is getting at. I'don't think there is anyone on the planet that could drive two identical cars with different oil in them and be able to tell the difference. Impossible.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #31
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

If youre selling cars you should know this sort of stuff. Pretty basic.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #32
homieG
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F

ok may be its psychological that i thought one oil made my car run smoother than the other one.....but i've heard multiple times that royal purple is shitty.

also, i definitely feel my car run smoother after getting an oil change! that i believe a 100% and i know its not just in my head.

and the part of me selling cars and how i should know this.....i never said i was a mechanic or an engineer when i commented. you don't HAVE no know a lot of cars to sell them. its more your personality and if your client trusts you. half the car sales people don't know shit about cars! lol. im def not one of them though. i know quite a bit but again...im no mechanic
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #33
chris328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Opinions are worth what you pay for them. Without scientific testing there is no means to know if one oil performs better or worse than another. Shitty is not a technical term used in the testing of oil AFAIK.

As a side note, I'd be willing to set up a test of six different engine oils including Amsoil, Royal Purple and four other brands. We can take a ten minute drive and if you can tell me which oil is in the engine I'll pay you $100. If you guess wrong you pay me $100. This offer is open to anyone.

Last edited by chris328i; 04-06-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #34
too much
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi GC

I used Amsoil in both my road and track bikes for many years. With a lot more abuse than a street driven car will take. Many motorcyclists would swear by Amsoil...

Based on my experience (with high rev motorcycle engines) is a good oil, based on the lack of insuficient lubrication problems

Also some fellow riders have had their oil analyzed after 10-12K Km and the lubrication properties have been preserved.