E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment required after bumpstop change?

05-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Alignment required after bumpstop change?

I had to pull my shock out from underneath the fender to replace the front bumpstops with shorter ones. I only undid the top swaylink mount in order to do this and then just the top the 3 nuts.

Do I still require an alignment to get the toe back into spec?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Yes you should get an alignment after as your chamber setting will change, not your toe.

Edit: What suspension are you running? If you have camber plates or drilled out the front alignment pin then yes you should get an alignment, if not then no
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
Yes you should get an alignment after as your chamber setting will change, not your toe.

Edit: What suspension are you running? If you have camber plates or drilled out the front alignment pin then yes you should get an alignment, if not then no

I am running FK silverline X coils and my alignment pins are still in, with -1.0 camber. I'm not worried about camber changes since at my height the camber is already maxed out and if it actually decreases I wouldn't mind. As long as the toe doesn't change I think I should be safe from weird tire wear?

If I were to spin the coils about a quarter inch lower would this also not effect the toe in/out on this setup?

Thank you so much for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

long as that alignment pin is not removed or changed camber/height in any form then no alignment is needed.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBmw View Post
I am running FK silverline X coils and my alignment pins are still in, with -1.0 camber. I'm not worried about camber changes since at my height the camber is already maxed out and if it actually decreases I wouldn't mind. As long as the toe doesn't change I think I should be safe from weird tire wear?

If I were to spin the coils about a quarter inch lower would this also not effect the toe in/out on this setup?

Thank you so much for your help.
Toe changes with camber. I would get one just to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~XxTeexX~ View Post
long as that alignment pin is not removed or changed camber/height in any form then no alignment is needed.
Did you mean not removed as in not drilled out, or not removed as in I did not remove the strut mount from the car?

I pulled the strut mount and everything off to get the shock out from under the fender, but then I put it all back in and I still have the alignment pin on the strut mount so it went into what seems to be the exact same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Toe changes with camber. I would get one just to make sure.
Will camber change when you unbolt a swaylink and remove the strut mount from the vehicle? I just quickly pulled out the shock, took off the strut mount, popped off the old chewed up bumpstops and put new ones in and then put everything back together.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

When was the last time you had the alignment check? if long ago and you changed height and changed toe with camber all around then you might as well get one. But if you just removed the the strut and put it back on with the alignment pin in place (thats what its for) then camber did not change. If this was my car i would leave it alone.

The vehicle sprung weight sits very close to the bumpstops but it does not determine the vehicle height UNLESS you have coils spun all the way to the max. Just think if you can stand on the bumpstop using your body weight to compress it how on earth will his hold up the car? this is base goin off my rear bumstops which where cut in half and using fk bumpstop as well.

but if youre that worried then spend the money for an alignment, no harm done.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212

Last edited by #Tee; 05-07-2013 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0