E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MULF2-High pinouts

03-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #23
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Yeah, you can no longer order that part on its own, only as part of the whole kit which includes another most cable, another bracket etc. etc.

I should have the mic and a short Fakra cable on Wednesday, so I will be able to test it then.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #24
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Good luck. Did you have the mic cable custom made?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Not yet, I have loads of pins for the terminal and will solder the wires onto the mic if I don't have a connector.
Sure a cd rom to mainboard audio connnector will fit though.

Could really do with someone letting me know what cables go into the mic, even a pic from the mic in their car would be great?? Anyone??
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #26
GLMark
Rep
Drives: E92 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Not yet, I have loads of pins for the terminal and will solder the wires onto the mic if I don't have a connector.
Sure a cd rom to mainboard audio connnector will fit though.

Could really do with someone letting me know what cables go into the mic, even a pic from the mic in their car would be great?? Anyone??
Is this of any help. Not one of my photos, but used from other posts on this forum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah, that looks cool.

Thanks Mark.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #28
jimk
Captain
Rep

gIzzE, any updates?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #29
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah it was fine.
Bought an SMB to SMB cable off ebay for £5 to hook the bluetooth antenna to the MULF2, only 6" long so that is in the boot tucked under the MULF2, and the hooked the mic up to pins 1 and 19 and pins 1 and 2 on the mic.
All works fine.
I bought a run of cheap/thin two core cable that is sheilded for around £5 and that works a treat.
Oh, when they pulled the part up for the mic it gave the connector that was needed and the pins to go in it, so I bought that and 4 pins (the pins come with 6" of wire on them).

Total cost for the Mic, antenna, connector and pins was £35.

I do think that if you have USB and you get a dealer to tell the radio/nav that you have option SA644 it would activate the bluetooth, even on US cars. I have voice as well, but forgot to test it to see if it was in English.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #30
jimk
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Yeah it was fine.
Bought an SMB to SMB cable off ebay for £5 to hook the bluetooth antenna to the MULF2, only 6" long so that is in the boot tucked under the MULF2, and the hooked the mic up to pins 1 and 19 and pins 1 and 2 on the mic.
All works fine.
I bought a run of cheap/thin two core cable that is sheilded for around £5 and that works a treat.
Oh, when they pulled the part up for the mic it gave the connector that was needed and the pins to go in it, so I bought that and 4 pins (the pins come with 6" of wire on them).

Total cost for the Mic, antenna, connector and pins was £35.

I do think that if you have USB and you get a dealer to tell the radio/nav that you have option SA644 it would activate the bluetooth, even on US cars. I have voice as well, but forgot to test it to see if it was in English.

Glad to hear that it works good and thanks for sharing. I'm next.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #31
Danyell
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i 4dr Monaco Blue

I'm Soooo close ...... (I hope)
I've read this line of notes a dozen times but am still a little confused. I have an 08' 328i with factory USB/iPod, professional radio (6FL I guess), MULF2 and steering wheel controls (speaks to me in English when I push the button) I installed the BT antenna and speaker above the pedals (fiber cable for ant. and wires for spkr already there) and installed the mic in the FSD (cable was also there). I read that the cables connected to the white 18x3 multi-pin housing (laying loose in the trunk) for the mic (screen/black/yellow) and spkr. (white/blue stripe, white/yellow stripe) go into same pins in blue 18x3 connector that connects into MULF2 (I can do that, no sweat). The fiber cable for the ant. BT was black/with a little purple. I found the same laying loose in the trunk (I did not shine a light thru it, but there is one there, I assume it is the associated end). Where do I connect this black/little purple fiber cable that is in the trunk? I noticed the MULF2 module has a second fiber connection with nothing attached... does it go there? And what about a roof antenna? Does it use the existing dolphin? or do I need another antenna.? Help is greatly appreciated... and BMW guys don't have a clue, but willing to help (although they said BT was not compatable with my vehicle, and knew nothing about the MULF2 and extra cable for all the BT parts).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #32
jimk
Captain
Rep

Yes, it is in the opposite side of the MULF2. It is not fiber but coax. You have the right pre-wiring for option 644. You won't need the speaker as it is made for the TCU to connect to if you loose power in an emergency. Your sound will go over the regular speakers.

You will have to code the MULF2 for Bluetooth. If the dealer refuses, find an autologic shop. You'll may also need to reverse some pins at the mic connection under the glove compartment. That "may" cause loss of the voice command option, depending how it gets wired and coded. I think you should be better of getting a used TCU or a mObridge unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #33
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

You need to hook the mic up.
Hook the antenna to the MULF2, I just used a 6" cable and tucked the antenna under the MULF.
Then code the head unit to say you have bluetooth.

That is it.

If you have the USB working you just need to code the bluetooth in.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #34
Danyell
Rep

gIzzE, you say hook the antenna to the MULF2. One end of my MULF2 has the 18x3 connector and the other end has two coax (I guess) connections with one coax cable already connected. The cable that is already connected is not the same color as the coax connector that goes to the BT ant. (black with little purple) above the pedals. Should I connect the coax cable that is laying loose (same color as BT ant. end) to the unused coax receptacle on the MULF2? Are the MULF2 coax connectors labeled?
Then, I guess I move the wires over from the white 18x3 connector (laying loose) into the same pins on the blueish 18x3 connector already attached to the MULF2...??
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #35
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I can't really understand what you are saying there.

Looking in the trunk you have 2 coax connectors, the one on the left is the bluetooth one.
Is your car already prewired for the bluetooth antenna??
If not I would run a 6" cable and tuck it under the MULF2.

Not sure why you have a white connector hanging loose, do you have a mic in the car already??

White pins are in the white connector?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #36
jimk
Captain
Rep

He has the pre-wiring for BMW Assist already in the car in addition to the USB.

You need to:

1. Plug the black/purple antenna cable from the trunk to the back of the MULF2. There is an available FAKRA type connector next to the USB FAKRA connector that is already plugged in.

2. remove the MIC pins from the white connector and place them into the appropriate slots in the blue connector that is already connected to the MULF2.

3. Code the car (most likely you'd need a shop with autologic)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #37
Danyell
Rep

jimk, I'll try to make this more clear. My car came with the USB/ipod option already installed. Per the threads, I looked for and found the following:
- Black with a little purple coax cable for the BT antenna, I assume, above the kick plate on the drivers side.
- Aux. speaker connector (1 white wire with blue stripe and 1 white wire with yellow stripe).
- Connector with yellow and black wires in the map light overhead compartment for the mic, but no mic.
- Connector behind glove box with mic wires, but not going to correct pins (need to be repositioned as stated in other threads).
- Cable harness in trunk, laying loose, consisting of:
* 1 blue, 1 white, 1 black and 1 purple coax cables (all "keyed")
* 1 optical fiber connector (with 1 green and 1 black fiber lines)
* 3 other cables bundled in cloth/foam (don't know what these are for)
* 13x8 white connector with yellow/black/shield - for mic) wires.

So I ordered, installed and connected the following:
1. BT antenna - above pedals (connected black coax able)
2. Aux speaker - above pedals (connector with white/striped wires)
3. Mic and connector - in map light compartment overhead
4. Moved yellow/black/shield wires from 18x3 white connector in trunk to same pins locations on blue 18x3 connector that was already plugged into MULF2 module.

Retested voice command... same results "Speak command" (in English).

5. Now, rewired connector behind glove box.

Retested voice command... now it's saying all kinds of things to my command "dial number", such as: "no phone book found", "say number"... etc. and ultimately says: "That function is currently unavailable" (since BT is not yet coded).

I had to reposition the MULF2 module 180 degrees because of the mic wire lengths.

One end of the MULF2 has the blue 18x3 connector and a fiber connector with green and black fiber cables. The other end has (what looks to be) a coax cable, but instead of 1 center conductor, has 4 separate mini conductors. There is also a single female coax connector (keyed) beside the 4 conductor coax connector, which does not match any of the loose coax cables in the trunk area. It is "keyed". By "keyed", I mean.. around the outside of the coax connector are 2 slots, in various positions (some tabs are square, some are half moon or knife blade-like). You have to have the right "keyed" coax cable in order to attach to the female coax connector.

So, shouldn't I have to connect a coax cable (end from BT antenna) to something? Or is it one of the 4 pins in the 4 conductor coax cable already connected? And, should I have to connect an Arial antenna for cell reception? Or is that also one of the pins in the 4 conductor coax cable?

You say something about a 6" antenna cable... what do you attach the ends to? (maybe arial antenna and MULF2 coax connector that is available?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #38
trybekjr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

Would it be possible for someone who's already done this bluetooth addition to post a step by step w/pics and parts that need to be ordered. I have a 6FL option but still trying to figure out what I exactly need to get this to work. I have searched this forum a number of times and there's a lot of info out there but nothing that is concise and nicely summarized. It doesn't sound that it's complicated but would be nice to have something to follow.
Thanks I appreciate all the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #39
Danyell
Rep

If I get this thing working, I'll put together a good technical instruction step-by-step for you. I'm not going to go back thru it just to provide pictures.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #40
trybekjr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyell View Post
If I get this thing working, I'll put together a good technical instruction step-by-step for you. I'm not going to go back thru it just to provide pictures.
Cool. Please update if you get it to work, I'm very interested in the results.
Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #41
Danyell
Rep

I have an appointment to take it to a place that can code it via Auto Logic this Friday afternoon. If successful, I'll start working on the info Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #42
Danyell
Rep

Results from appointment.. dissappointment. They had to use an older Auto Logic unit that was Serial (USB unit was down), so we had to wait a bit to get the programmer downloaded with latest data. The tech. tried programming a couple of times. Completed with "no faults". But radio does not show "TEL" on the display. We then found out you have to wait for the car to go to sleep. Then wake it up... still no "TEL" on the radio. Ran out of time at the shop. Will take it back in this coming Thurs. and leave it with them.

jimk - did you have to do any swapping or such with any fiber cables?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #43
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Ran out of time at the shop. Will take it back in this coming Thurs. and leave it with them.
I have found that morning appointments allow calls to AutoLogic UK, which are often more useful for retrofits of BMW gear than Autologic US (more experience, and they write the code).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #44
jimk
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Results from appointment.. dissappointment. They had to use an older Auto Logic unit that was Serial (USB unit was down), so we had to wait a bit to get the programmer downloaded with latest data. The tech. tried programming a couple of times. Completed with "no faults". But radio does not show "TEL" on the display. We then found out you have to wait for the car to go to sleep. Then wake it up... still no "TEL" on the radio. Ran out of time at the shop. Will take it back in this coming Thurs. and leave it with them.

jimk - did you have to do any swapping or such with any fiber cables?
No swapping of fiber cables were needed. However, the Autologic unit MUST connect to the MOST bus via the fiber connector under the dash, in addition to the OBDII port. The connector is on the left side of the dash approximately above the foot rest. Some older Autologic units don't have that option (don't remember the name) thus won't be able to code your car for BT.

GL
Jim
Appreciate 0