E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Injector replacement on N54

04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Injector replacement on N54

Hi all,

have a dumb question as I'm completely unfamiliar with coding on BMWs. If I either replace my own injectors and pay someone to code them in for me, or have an independent shop do the work, and then subsequently take my car back to the dealership in the future, will that cause any issues? e.g. will the dealership recognize whatever recoding is necessary as a result of the injector replacement, or if they have to update anything engine related in the future will that result in the injector coding reverting back to my old injectors?

The reason that I'm asking is that the dealership's quote for replacing the injectors is just eye-watering, and after doing some research I'm not sure that I really have any avenues other than "goodwill" to get them to pick any of this up... I bought my car used, out of warranty, and this is only my second BMW (and the first they don't know about because it was an old beater and never saw the inside of a dealership under my care)

thanks for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

local to the augusta, georgia area?
If you are then I could do it for you for free. If not then I would order the cable under e90post coding success then spend the Sunday replacing and coding the injectors. It's fairly easy brother man anyways good luck. Stop by the DIY sextion of the forum there are plenty of guides for replacing injectors
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wish I were... I'd take you up on that... just a little scared of liability of working on 2000 PSI fuel lines. I have calls into two local indys to see if they can do it but neither has gotten back to me yet. Also was thinking a walnut blasting might be in order but nobody closer than Philly that I've found does it besides the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Leaky injectors should be covered. Does your car have n54 or n55 engine.
There is a campaign for bad injectors on n54 engines. Something like 8 years and 80k.

How many miles on your 2009? Are you outside the 4 years and 50k?
Here in Ca. That is part of the smog and fuel delivery and even out of warranty they would have to replace injectors and anything else emission related.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

N54 engine. So they're not covered under emissions warranty - 2009MY, 78K miles. I'm in VA so the CA emissions warranty apparently doesn't apply

Does anyone in the DC Metro area want to tackle this besides a dealership? I've got calls into three different indys and none of them seem to want to do it.
Appreciate 0