E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Self Inflicted Damage

06-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C2S

Self Inflicted Damage

wrong forum

Last edited by m33porsche; 06-17-2007 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33porsche View Post
Well, still can't quite believe it.

Picked up a new BMW 335 Coupe a coupe of weeks ago and invested in their protect and seal treatment, believe this to be AG Life Shine.

When I first washed the car, 2nd day of course, I noticed that the bonnet and wings were quite coarse, a kind of rust - maybe rail dust?

Anyway, I made good with the AG SRP and thought I solved the problem as the surface was now smooth.

But OH MY GOD, when the sun came out my bonnet looked like it had been washed with a brillo pad - swirls is an understatement.

This is my brand new car - what an idiot.

Anyway, after researching (detail world) I've concluded that I'm not up for a bodybuilding experience with Scratch X and have contacted Dan at Gleam Auto. Booked in for Wednesday PM to treat the bonnet Zymol style.

This is my first experience with detailing so I'm somewhat apprehensive but will let you know the result.

Still can't believe what a idiot I was!!
Don't worry,they'll sort it on wed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep

amazing what can be done

The result of some ill-informed polishing on my part to remove rust spots on a brand new car, no clay bar, no paint cleaner - the result - lots of brillo pad like scratching in the lacquer. Couldn't really bring myself to look at it in direct sunlight.

Bit of research and a local detailer has done a fantastic job - really doubted that the paint situation could be recovered but now it's better than when delivered.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1010212.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1010210.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1010203.jpg

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Looks really good.

Glad it all worked out.
      06-25-2007, 03:59 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
i bet you felt like a right dolt. least its sorted now bud!

so you wouldnt reccomend this bm stuff you purchased?

im fed up of water marks when washing ours does my bleedin' head in.

carl
      06-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
i bet you felt like a right dolt. least its sorted now bud!

so you wouldnt reccomend this bm stuff you purchased?

im fed up of water marks when washing ours does my bleedin' head in.

carl
I dry the car with a sonus waffle weave cloth (recommended by someone on this site) after washing. The cloth does not even need wrung out for the entire car. Leaves a great finish and no pesky water marks
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Bit of research and a local detailer has done a fantastic job - really doubted that the paint situation could be recovered but now it's better than when delivered.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1010212.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1010210.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1010203.jpg

I'm lazy in the research arena. What detailer did this for you, where are they, how long did it take, and how much did it cost? It looks incredible!!

I'm going to need to have my car cleaned number plate to number plate to get England out of it before it goes stateside and figure that would be the opportune time to get a full blown detail. I already need to take it back to Bury St. Edmunds for the headlights so another day or so down south shouldn't be a headache.

Of course, my luck it'll rain the next day.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I'm lazy in the research arena. What detailer did this for you, where are they, how long did it take, and how much did it cost? It looks incredible!!

I'm going to need to have my car cleaned number plate to number plate to get England out of it before it goes stateside and figure that would be the opportune time to get a full blown detail. I already need to take it back to Bury St. Edmunds for the headlights so another day or so down south shouldn't be a headache.

Of course, my luck it'll rain the next day.
Total time was about 3.5 hrs, but two guys were doing it and the car was pretty clean.

The company is called Gleam Auto Detailing and they are a registered Zymol company, the guy is Danny, top bloke. Calls you back, turns up when he says he's going to etc etc.

Im mega fussy and couldn't find anything to complain about - would absolutely recommend them

Good luck - when you due to go stateside?

m33porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Total time was about 3.5 hrs, but two guys were doing it and the car was pretty clean.

The company is called Gleam Auto Detailing and they are a registered Zymol company, the guy is Danny, top bloke. Calls you back, turns up when he says he's going to etc etc.

Im mega fussy and couldn't find anything to complain about - would absolutely recommend them

Good luck - when you due to go stateside?

m33porsche
Are they in Hampshire? Do they have a shop or do they come to you?

I've just gotten a short term extension so I move sometime in the next eight months. But I like to have things lined up well in advance. I might even be able to participate in UK4B.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Are they in Hampshire? Do they have a shop or do they come to you?

I've just gotten a short term extension so I move sometime in the next eight months. But I like to have things lined up well in advance. I might even be able to participate in UK4B.
yeah, they come to you, have water supply, electricity etc - can do either at work or home

oh yes - based in Hampshire
Appreciate 0